Second tier football championship

Started by Giovanni, July 11, 2019, 06:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giovanni

Excellent article here in my opinion on the idea of the second tier football championship.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Laois/Article/Index/301624

For what I can understand, John Sugrue would agree. I can't make up my mind whether the problem here is the snowflakery of everyone has to be given a prize of whether it's about Sky Sports having more Super Sundays. Either way, I can't see many many benefits.

Any views?

GAA-SMART

We'd find ourselves in the top tier now i imagine if they done a split.

Tony

Quote from: GAA-SMART on July 11, 2019, 07:09:13 PM
We'd find ourselves in the top tier now i imagine if they done a split.
That doesn't matter, we could easily be in the 2nd tier in a year or two if they brought it in. We are one of those borderline counties. It would be a sheer and utter disaster for teams like Laois, Offaly, Derry etc to play 2nd tier football. It's not the way to go at all. World cup style championship is the way to go. Fair for all and a chance for a small team like Laois or Wexford to build over a 5 year process to become one of the better teams. If a team like Laois is thrown into tier 2, what incentive do young lads in Laois have, 13 / 14 /15 year olds, of playing for the county? None. It's a disaster of an idea and will signal a slow death for football in a lot of counties, soon to be the next Kilkenny.

Butch Cassidy

If there were 8 groups of 4 with the top 2 going to play for Sam and bottom 2 for the "B" it would at least give everyone a chance at competing for Sam. Could be based off the league placings.

Realistically there is a Tier 1 in Dublin and then a tier 2 of the rest at present. Also until the provincial is separate to the All Ireland series the issues will remain. Cork had to beat Limerick and Laois to make the super 8s.

High Fielder

A way to avoid the embarrassment that the GAA has become. That's all this is. No solution as to how to bring fairness to it all, so send all the shite down the river. God forbid we should have to look at the skutter being beaten out of these poor unfortunates. Shur wouldn't they be better doing whatever they do behind closed doors. f**k the GAA and all who sails in her. You'll have all the top clubs in counties voting for no relegation from the top league next. Oops.

Butch Cassidy

It's inevitable the Dubs will be split but wont happen for a good while. John Horan has been a very poor president and him pushing for this second tier will be the icing on the cake of his time as president. Why did he put together a fixture review committee if hes pushing this through? Makes no sense

The Boy Wonder

A second tier is doomed to failure in same way as All-Ireland B and Tommy Murphy Cup failed
- whatever about maximising player committment under present system there will be little appetite amongst many players for a second rate competition
- the better coaches will not be attracted to second tier teams
- supporters will vote with their feet, e.g. Laois v Offaly in second tier would have no appeal.

Maiden1

Down had 2 sellout games in Pairc Eslar this year, those 2 games will go towards paying all the expenses that go into running the county team. Down playing Wicklow in Pairc Eslar in the Tier 2 whatever would probably have about 400 people at it, how is that going to help Down get to the level where they can compete with the better teams?  It's also patronising as #### saying they will be humiliated and don't want to play against the better teams, it was a free roll for Down against Mayo, Mayo had all the pressure, lose and at least we saw Aidan O'Shea, Andy Moran etc. but a potential banana skin for Mayo if it got close and the home crowd got behind Down. If Mayo progresses past the Super 8 both Down and Armagh can use the flawed logic if the ref/that shot .. (if my granny had balls and all that...).

There is a discussion on best mens tennis player over the last 10+ years when only 4 players had much chance of winning, really they could just have those 4 play each other and do away with the rest of the tournament but the whole build up to the semi finals could be 1 of those players struggling in the early rounds, a surprise player knocking 1 of then out, a young unexpected player making progress, if we save time and do away with the also rans something big but indefinable will be lost from the narrative of what makes a tournament exciting.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Joeythelips

The only reason the Joe McDonagh cup works is you get into the All Ireland series for that very year as well as going up for the next one. Football needs to follow this type of modal. The weaker sides get a crack at the bigger teams if they win their own league/group. I know there are sub competitions in hurling but that is for counties where the game is struggling and its help those teams develop and get some class of foothold where its struggling.

Apart from Kilkenny, football has no team at the equivalent level of the Longford, Fermanagh, Donegal, Leitrim, Wicklow, Armagh, Tyrone, Roscommon, Cavan, Monaghan, Louth or Kildare hurling teams. If you treated football the same it could really die in some weaker counties.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Maiden1 on July 11, 2019, 10:26:01 PM
Down had 2 sellout games in Pairc Eslar this year, those 2 games will go towards paying all the expenses that go into running the county team. Down playing Wicklow in Pairc Eslar in the Tier 2 whatever would probably have about 400 people at it, how is that going to help Down get to the level where they can compete with the better teams?  It's also patronising as #### saying they will be humiliated and don't want to play against the better teams, it was a free roll for Down against Mayo, Mayo had all the pressure, lose and at least we saw Aidan O'Shea, Andy Moran etc. but a potential banana skin for Mayo if it got close and the home crowd got behind Down. If Mayo progresses past the Super 8 both Down and Armagh can use the flawed logic if the ref/that shot .. (if my granny had balls and all that...).

There is a discussion on best mens tennis player over the last 10+ years when only 4 players had much chance of winning, really they could just have those 4 play each other and do away with the rest of the tournament but the whole build up to the semi finals could be 1 of those players struggling in the early rounds, a surprise player knocking 1 of then out, a young unexpected player making progress, if we save time and do away with the also rans something big but indefinable will be lost from the narrative of what makes a tournament exciting.

This!!!!!!
LAOIS ABÚ