2019 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 10, 2019, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: LooseCannon on June 16, 2019, 08:40:43 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 16, 2019, 08:18:09 PM
f**k Offaly
Thank God that not all people from Laois are like you and your ilk.
Luckily there's decent people who I have PMed during my time on this.

One thing is for certain, and I mean this with the utmost of respect: you sir/madam are a can of piss. Worse still, an awful lot of people on here think similar of you.
Forgive me if this hurts you, but f**k you too. Offaly never cared for us, why should we care for Offaly. Offaly's wounds are self inflicted. I take no joy in your demise, I just won't be worrying too much about it, we've our own problems. No Offaly man I ever met wanted a Laois mans sympathy, why would you?

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on June 16, 2019, 05:46:09 PM
Quote from: Mad Mentor on June 16, 2019, 05:16:36 PM
I would imagine Meath will win the Christy Ring this year and replace Offaly in the Joe McDonagh, but I wouldn't put my house on it. You would expect Offaly would have enough to come straight back up, but similarly to the Leinster championship/Joe McDonagh there is likely to be a large amount of yo-yoing between the two for certain counties - ourselves included. Whoever wins the Joe McDonagh final will more than likely face the same fate as Carlow did this year. Dublin defeating Galway yesterday probably signals the end of hopes that there was at least one team you might fancy your chances against on any given day. As a Laois supporter, the Joe McDonagh has been very enjoyable this summer but that leap into the top ten is still a big one. The re-structuring of the league format has only made this worse.

Agree.

To eliminate this upcoming yo-yo phenomenon between the Joe McDonagh and Leinster competitions, all the GAA has to do is hold a match between the team up for promotion and the team facing relegation. Winner goes up, loser goes down. The solution seems so simple, unless I'm completely missing something.

I completely agree with this. If you are not good enough yet to beat the worst team at the next level, then you are probably better off in the Joe McD. Same goes for Christy Ring. A few years ago they tried this in the league when Westmeath had to play Laois in a playoff, which we won. There was murder and it was removed. Personally I would rather see Laois hurl at a competitive level until we are truly ready. In 2 years of this experiment no Joe Mc team has won a game when promoted. We or Westmeath will be the same next year. Meath or Down will probably be returned to the Christy Ring in 2020 with interest too.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Don Draper on June 16, 2019, 09:29:06 PM
f**k Offaly

One thing is for certain, and I mean this with the utmost of respect: you sir/madam are a can of piss. Worse still, an awful lot of people on here think similar of you.
Forgive me if this hurts you, but f**k you too. Offaly never cared for us, why should we care for Offaly. Offaly's wounds are self inflicted. I take no joy in your demise, I just won't be worrying too much about it, we've our own problems. No Offaly man I ever met wanted a Laois mans sympathy, why would you?

Did I ask for sympathy?
I wished Laois the best of luck.
There's a fairly basic concept called respect. It's generally thought to be an intrinsic part of a somewhat normal society.
All I did was pull you up on your lack of a grasp for this basic concept. A lack of class.
There's more maturity in a slice of red cheddar in the fridge than there is in you.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 16, 2019, 09:40:42 PM
Quote from: Mossy Bruce on June 16, 2019, 05:46:09 PM
Quote from: Mad Mentor on June 16, 2019, 05:16:36 PM
I would imagine Meath will win the Christy Ring this year and replace Offaly in the Joe McDonagh, but I wouldn't put my house on it. You would expect Offaly would have enough to come straight back up, but similarly to the Leinster championship/Joe McDonagh there is likely to be a large amount of yo-yoing between the two for certain counties - ourselves included. Whoever wins the Joe McDonagh final will more than likely face the same fate as Carlow did this year. Dublin defeating Galway yesterday probably signals the end of hopes that there was at least one team you might fancy your chances against on any given day. As a Laois supporter, the Joe McDonagh has been very enjoyable this summer but that leap into the top ten is still a big one. The re-structuring of the league format has only made this worse.

Agree.

To eliminate this upcoming yo-yo phenomenon between the Joe McDonagh and Leinster competitions, all the GAA has to do is hold a match between the team up for promotion and the team facing relegation. Winner goes up, loser goes down. The solution seems so simple, unless I'm completely missing something.
... If you are not good enough yet to beat the worst team at the next level, then you are probably better off in the Joe McD. Same goes for Christy Ring...
Exactly!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Don Draper

Quote from: LooseCannon on June 16, 2019, 09:57:00 PM
f**k Offaly

Did I ask for sympathy?
There's a fairly basic concept called respect. It's generally thought to be an intrinsic part of a somewhat normal society.
All I did was pull you up on your lack of a grasp for this basic concept. A lack of class.
There's more maturity in a slice of red cheddar in the fridge than there is in you.
Dry your eyes mate. The sun comes up tomorrow.

burdizzo

Jaysus, Don, you're a surly enough auld whore betimes!

LooseCannon

Quote from: Don Draper on June 16, 2019, 10:41:14 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on June 16, 2019, 09:57:00 PM
f**k Offaly

Did I ask for sympathy?
Dry your eyes mate. The sun comes up tomorrow.
I'm well aware of that. No one was killed. I've gone through enough grief and real tragedies off the field be it through my club, friends and former colleagues. So if you think it's the be all and end all, I worry about you.  I don't need a lecture from a young pup sitting behind a keyboard. I'd say you'd be no use handling a burdizzo anyway.
A know it all who's probably never played to a middling standard, if even.

To the genuine people on here, I apologise for firstly having to put up with this gobshite, and secondly for posting in your forum. I'm not going to waste any more of my precious time on this earth to this smartass piece of work.
Sin sin agus go n-éirí libh.

Keyser Söze

Silly stuff.
No need for it.
I agree that Offaly never worried about or cared for Laois' woes. The disappointments of the early 80s etc. I remember two days in particular.
Croke Park in 1996 and O' Connor Park in 2004.
On both days we had high hopes. Seemed to be moving well. In 1996 we had reached a league semi final (beating Kilkenny and running Tipp to 4/5 points). I think our half forward line that day was Declan Rooney, Declan Conroy & David Cuddy. We still had Taylor, Dollard and PJ going fairly well. I had really high hopes that day!
In 2004 we had gone reasonably well in the league, and relegated Offaly.
Two serious beatings.
On both occasions I remember having a few drinks after wards and the jeering from the Offaly crowd, who had arrived fairly nervous.
In Tullamore one fella kept roaring "lock the gates and make them watch it!" as the Laois crowd filed out with 15/20 minutes to go.

Despite this, its childish and ill befitting to be chastising someone for posting here. Ignore the posts or do whatever you have to, but the constant attacks etc are silly.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Leixlad

Well done to Laois finished league section unbeaten and getting a few lads a run which will benefit in long run no doubt. Im not familiar enough with Westmeath - did they do the same does anyone know?
Really looking forward to Croke Park - the only time i seen Laois hurl there (minor final aside a few years ago) was Wexford in 2005. I remember going in hope that year after beating Dublin handily in Nowlan park (I think?!) Should be a great occasion with Wexford v KK on afterwards (strange having the curtain raiser on second!!) My only hope now is fixtures fall my way for club championship - sadly the county i live in now have no regard for Laois playing in Croke park on Sunday 30th and there is a round of hurling championship scheduled that weekend.  :-[

I have to admit i didn't feel sorry for Offaly going down. You make your own bed - they wouldn't feel sorry for us. Its a sad sight Offaly in tier 3 however. My only hope and perhaps in one way i was hoping they would get relegated is maybe it might provoke the GAA to act not just with Offaly but to all teams of that level now (Laois, Antrim, Westmeath Carlow ect) and set up a strategic plan and proper funding and it might benefit us in the long run. Maybe thats wishful thinking however. Or maybe Offaly will get all the funding and over take us again and il regret seeing them relegated in the first place!!

Don Draper

Quote from: burdizzo on June 16, 2019, 10:46:39 PM
Jaysus, Don, you're a surly enough auld whore betimes!
I just dont get it. I have huge time for Offaly hurling, but its a thundering disgrace whats been let happen to it. Donal Óg nailed it last night, they've had their warnings and done sweet f**k all about it to arrest it. Carlow deserve more attention than them, Laois do too, as do Westmeath. Kerry deserve massive credit for what they've done. Offaly have it tough much like ourselves, a dual county living off scraps, but jesus, make an effort will you?

Anyway, a thread can be set up to discuss it, this is the time nor the place.

High Fielder

I think Offaly are the best example of a dual county with a small population who can no longer expect to be competitive in either code. Much like ourselves, they rely on a bumper crop every now and then. Unfortunately, this current crop are just not good enough, but Donal Og was spouting shite last night. This can happen. It will happen to us. It already did by dropping to Division 4 in football. Offaly, ourselves and a few more like us don't have the numbers. I'd be edified to see how and why Offaly contributed to their downfall. I sincerely doubt that we're doing things any differently. Sometimes you just get a bunch that are not up to it, and of course lads walk away from that too. Offaly and ourselves are constantly playing the numbers game. They will be back, but only luck will put them where they were before. Same as ourselves. I take no pleasure in their demise because there but for the grace of God and all that.

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on June 17, 2019, 10:16:56 AM
I think Offaly are the best example of a dual county with a small population who can no longer expect to be competitive in either code. Much like ourselves, they rely on a bumper crop every now and then. Unfortunately, this current crop are just not good enough, but Donal Og was spouting shite last night. This can happen. It will happen to us. It already did by dropping to Division 4 in football. Offaly, ourselves and a few more like us don't have the numbers. I'd be edified to see how and why Offaly contributed to their downfall. I sincerely doubt that we're doing things any differently. Sometimes you just get a bunch that are not up to it, and of course lads walk away from that too. Offaly and ourselves are constantly playing the numbers game. They will be back, but only luck will put them where they were before. Same as ourselves. I take no pleasure in their demise because there but for the grace of God and all that.
I disagree. If you continue to develop players, have good structures, you should be able to stay well away from the bottom. We fell to D4 in the league as a result of sheer neglect of the adult set ups, it had f**k all to do with crops of players. Practically the same crop of players put us in D1, then into D4, and then back into D2, all under vastly differing set ups.

No farmer looks into a field and expects it to nurture itself.

High Fielder

Bad analogy. In between there was ageing, walkouts, ill discipline and so much more. Yeah Sugrue has changed the philosophy, but he has only managed so far to get the best out of us, and as we saw the last day, that's a long way short. Brennan is doing the same. Nothing wrong with either, but we don't have the players in either code to be competitive.

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on June 17, 2019, 10:44:56 AM
Bad analogy. In between there was ageing, walkouts, ill discipline and so much more. Yeah Sugrue has changed the philosophy, but he has only managed so far to get the best out of us, and as we saw the last day, that's a long way short. Brennan is doing the same. Nothing wrong with either, but we don't have the players in either code to be competitive.
Yes, but we have the players not to hit rock bottom. We have the players to compete much closer to the top tier than we have. Offaly have too. To just throw your hands up at it and give up because, shur we're at nothing is quitter talk. Why were there walk outs in between? Why was there ill discipline? Players react to a professional set up and approach. Give  them that, give them structures to develop, and you're on to something. To just expect St Brendans Birr to hand you a generation every now and then is weak and foolish. You have to work at it, scratch the ground, give them something to believe in. You think its down to luck, lucks got f**k all to do with it.

High Fielder

I disagree. Portlaoise are an example at one end of the scale and let's take Courtwood at the other end. Can Courtwood seriously expect to be as competitive forever as they are now? I hope they do by the way. And for the opposite reasons, Portlaoise will always be strong. Getting a good batch in a small club or county is good luck and getting a bad crop is bad luck. Coaching only enhances what is already there