2019 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 10, 2019, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: MasterJ on June 15, 2019, 04:41:46 PM
...Jack was super scored 3 points and gave plenty of ball in with one of them resulting in Mark Dowling's goal...
Definitely impressive.

I saw a few new names (at least new to me) on the pitch, today, which was great.

Was that Westmeath's strongest team out there or did they hold a few lads back for this match due to injury or strategy?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

redsetanta

Great result with all the changes. Good to see the lads who came in, subs included, stepping up. Played out well for a 'dead rubber' game. Set up nicely now for the final.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

LooseCannon

Best of luck in the final. I'd like to see Laois in the Leinster championship next year. You seem to be moving in the right direction with good men at the helm. I've no doubt that should you  win, you will more than hold your own next year. All the best.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: LooseCannon on June 15, 2019, 07:23:42 PM
Best of luck in the final. I'd like to see Laois in the Leinster championship next year. You seem to be moving in the right direction with good men at the helm. I've no doubt that should you  win, you will more than hold your own next year. All the best.

Thank you. Very gracious considering the day you are having. No hurling people took pleasure in what happened Offaly in Tralee today. Fair play to Kerry, they are a fine side with some super hurlers. I'm sure Offaly will restore themselves so we can do battle again in a few years.

LooseCannon

I imagine that some of our elder statesmen such as Bergin, Dooley, Colin Egan and Mahon will go.
It mightn't probe to be a bad thing yet. Yes, it's terrible. We appear to have a good u20 set up, and I think that a lot of the older lads will be brought in with the seniors. Intensive S&C work once their season is done. The start of a rebuilding process. It's time that some other players step up.

That being said, an awful lot of work has to be done off the field, with various things being needed to be done. My best wishes are genuine. I know I give you a hard time over certain individuals, you all know who (Hint: he walked out on his actual club, thanks Keyser Soze), but I wish you well.

Hopefully some day soon we'll be playing in the Leinster championship. Wishful thinking, I know.

Alas, Que Sera Sera

MasterJ

I was looking at the Offaly GAA forum and they have a topic, Christy Ring Cup 2020. Laois probably wont play Offaly till 2021 as they ( Offaly) went down to Division 2 and the Christy Ring Cup. It may be the end of the Rivalry.

smcder

Not an end to the rivalry. They will come back up. Probable easier come back up from Christy ring than from division 2. But it's a huge stretch to say the rivalry is at an end. When they were well ahead of us there was still a rivalry.

marty34

Quote from: smcder on June 16, 2019, 02:25:52 PM
Not an end to the rivalry. They will come back up. Probable easier come back up from Christy ring than from division 2. But it's a huge stretch to say the rivalry is at an end. When they were well ahead of us there was still a rivalry.

Offaly could have difficulty coming up back from the Christy Ring.  If they lose a few elder statesmen (which, in itself) mightn't be a bad thing.

They'll have to regroup and rebuild. A year or two in the Christy Ring will do Offaly no harm.

Also, if they come straight up again, they'll probably come back down again.

That's my take.

Mad Mentor

I would imagine Meath will win the Christy Ring this year and replace Offaly in the Joe McDonagh, but I wouldn't put my house on it. You would expect Offaly would have enough to come straight back up, but similarly to the Leinster championship/Joe McDonagh there is likely to be a large amount of yo-yoing between the two for certain counties - ourselves included. Whoever wins the Joe McDonagh final will more than likely face the same fate as Carlow did this year. Dublin defeating Galway yesterday probably signals the end of hopes that there was at least one team you might fancy your chances against on any given day. As a Laois supporter, the Joe McDonagh has been very enjoyable this summer but that leap into the top ten is still a big one. The re-structuring of the league format has only made this worse.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Mad Mentor on June 16, 2019, 05:16:36 PM
I would imagine Meath will win the Christy Ring this year and replace Offaly in the Joe McDonagh, but I wouldn't put my house on it. You would expect Offaly would have enough to come straight back up, but similarly to the Leinster championship/Joe McDonagh there is likely to be a large amount of yo-yoing between the two for certain counties - ourselves included. Whoever wins the Joe McDonagh final will more than likely face the same fate as Carlow did this year. Dublin defeating Galway yesterday probably signals the end of hopes that there was at least one team you might fancy your chances against on any given day. As a Laois supporter, the Joe McDonagh has been very enjoyable this summer but that leap into the top ten is still a big one. The re-structuring of the league format has only made this worse.

Agree.

To eliminate this upcoming yo-yo phenomenon between the Joe McDonagh and Leinster competitions, all the GAA has to do is hold a match between the team up for promotion and the team facing relegation. Winner goes up, loser goes down. The solution seems so simple, unless I’m completely missing something.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

marty34

Quote from: Mad Mentor on June 16, 2019, 05:16:36 PM

Good point.

Ogie

Lads we are having one of our best years hurling in a long time, let's enjoy it and talk about our own hurlers, let Offaly worry about their own.
I doubt the posters on Uibh Fhaili.com would be worried about us if we went down!

Really looking forward to the Laois hurling community getting a day out in Croke Park with a genuine chance of winning in Croke Park!

Don Draper

Mossy Bruce

The concluding words from the article, "Brennan reckons Laois have plenty to work on ahead of Joe McDonagh Cup final" on LaoisToday.com

"... Among these new faces were Mark Dowling, who was on the end of a crucial goal and Eoin Gaughan, whose last-minute free resulted in the late equaliser for the Laois men.

Their performances, as well as Jack Kelly's and a number of others, has certainly made the selection process that much harder ahead of the Joe McDonagh final in two weeks time."

What a great problem to have! I hope it keeps getting more and more difficult in the future.  :)
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

LooseCannon

Quote from: Don Draper on June 16, 2019, 08:18:09 PM
f**k Offaly
Thank God that not all people from Laois are like you and your ilk.
Luckily there's decent people who I have PMed during my time on this.

One thing is for certain, and I mean this with the utmost of respect: you sir/madam are a can of piss. Worse still, an awful lot of people on here think similar of you.