Changes to hurling league for 5 counties

Started by seafoid, November 11, 2023, 02:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2023, 10:21:34 AMThis is the daftest idea I've seen for a while now, there could be a thousand and one ideas that would have been better used than this one..

Do they think these clubs sit on their hole all year round? Most of the clubs with small numbers play in other leagues.. Carlow have 6 clubs at senior level, so they are very lucky  ;) 

Is there still an Ulster hurling league?

Football chairman in place and straight away the hurling takes a hit lol

President not chairman and is as much a figurehead role than anything. Director general is the chap in charge, that's currently Carlow native Tom Ryan and before him was Páraic Duffy who had big focus on changing or getting rid of grades in football when it wasn't needed. Same seems to be done now with the lower tiers in hurling.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/1121/1417673-fermanagh-shocked-by-gaas-hurling-league-proposal/

Fermanagh GAA have said they are "shocked and disappointed" at the GAA's proposal that any county with fewer than five adult hurling teams should be excluded from the Allianz League and consigned to the fifth-tier Lory Meagher Cup only from 2025 onwards, and have called for it to be rejected.

If Central Council passes the recommendation, it would see the Erne County join Cavan, Leitrim, Longford and Louth with an inter-county season reduced from six to three months.

Louth will be the only one of the counties that will play above Lory Meagher level next year.

Fermanagh GAA held a special meeting of the county committee last night to discuss the proposals from the Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) on hurling development in weaker counties. Representatives from the county hurling team management and players were also in attendance.

The meeting was unanimous in calling for the proposals to be rejected and they have urged all counties to them in voting against the proposal at the Ard Chomhairle meeting on 2 December.

In a statement they said: "Fermanagh GAA wish to put on record of our shock and disappointment at the proposals. We do not concur that we were appropriately consulted on a proposal of this magnitude to remove Fermanagh from the Allianz Hurling League prior to them being presented at the Ard Chomhairle meeting of 4 November.

"Fermanagh GAA have worked extremely hard with our small base of volunteers over the last number of years to develop sustainable hurling structures to allow the game to grow and flourish. This year along with our seven underage clubs we have three adult clubs participating in Championships.

"Along with our well-established hurling club of Lisbellaw St.Patrick's, we were able to recommence our Junior Hurling Championship with Erne Gaels winning over Lisnaskea Emmetts. These are small but important steps in the growth of hurling in Fermanagh, which we will continue to work hard to grow further.

"We are extremely proud of the achievements our senior county hurling team especially in recent years, winning the Allianz league Division 3B title and promotion in 2022, winning the Lory Meagher Cup on two occasions (2021 & 2015) and reaching the final on three other occasions (2020, 2014 & 2012).

"We retained our Nickey Rackard Cup status in 2022 and narrowly missed out this year by a slim margin in a number of games. We also note the outstanding performance of Luca McCusker, representing Ireland, in the recent Shinty International with Scotland.

"To deny our hurlers the opportunity to represent their county on fewer occasions than other counties would be a travesty and detrimental to the development of hurling in Fermanagh.

"We call for a serious discussion on hurling resources within the smaller counties and again ask for a fairer distribution of funding to support hurling in Fermanagh."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on November 21, 2023, 01:39:54 PMhttps://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/1121/1417673-fermanagh-shocked-by-gaas-hurling-league-proposal/

Fermanagh GAA have said they are "shocked and disappointed" at the GAA's proposal that any county with fewer than five adult hurling teams should be excluded from the Allianz League and consigned to the fifth-tier Lory Meagher Cup only from 2025 onwards, and have called for it to be rejected.

If Central Council passes the recommendation, it would see the Erne County join Cavan, Leitrim, Longford and Louth with an inter-county season reduced from six to three months.

Louth will be the only one of the counties that will play above Lory Meagher level next year.

Fermanagh GAA held a special meeting of the county committee last night to discuss the proposals from the Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) on hurling development in weaker counties. Representatives from the county hurling team management and players were also in attendance.

The meeting was unanimous in calling for the proposals to be rejected and they have urged all counties to them in voting against the proposal at the Ard Chomhairle meeting on 2 December.

In a statement they said: "Fermanagh GAA wish to put on record of our shock and disappointment at the proposals. We do not concur that we were appropriately consulted on a proposal of this magnitude to remove Fermanagh from the Allianz Hurling League prior to them being presented at the Ard Chomhairle meeting of 4 November.

"Fermanagh GAA have worked extremely hard with our small base of volunteers over the last number of years to develop sustainable hurling structures to allow the game to grow and flourish. This year along with our seven underage clubs we have three adult clubs participating in Championships.

"Along with our well-established hurling club of Lisbellaw St.Patrick's, we were able to recommence our Junior Hurling Championship with Erne Gaels winning over Lisnaskea Emmetts. These are small but important steps in the growth of hurling in Fermanagh, which we will continue to work hard to grow further.

"We are extremely proud of the achievements our senior county hurling team especially in recent years, winning the Allianz league Division 3B title and promotion in 2022, winning the Lory Meagher Cup on two occasions (2021 & 2015) and reaching the final on three other occasions (2020, 2014 & 2012).

"We retained our Nickey Rackard Cup status in 2022 and narrowly missed out this year by a slim margin in a number of games. We also note the outstanding performance of Luca McCusker, representing Ireland, in the recent Shinty International with Scotland.

"To deny our hurlers the opportunity to represent their county on fewer occasions than other counties would be a travesty and detrimental to the development of hurling in Fermanagh.

"We call for a serious discussion on hurling resources within the smaller counties and again ask for a fairer distribution of funding to support hurling in Fermanagh."

Well done Fermanagh.

Hopefully the other counties' County Board pull a meeting together this week, if not already, discuss and put out a similar statement.

johnnycool

Quote from: johnnycool on November 15, 2023, 09:12:07 AM
Quote from: Deerstalker on November 14, 2023, 11:54:51 AMIf Croke Park decide to "redirect" the funding into grass roots activities the hurling areas won't see a pound of it. County Boards will hoover it up and use it for football.

What about these counties that spend a fortune on their football teams each year with no hope of ever doing anything ?

You'll not be shocked to hear all five of those county boards are onboard with this decision according to GAA.ie.

It's interesting that there's someone looking at this considering we don't have a hurling Czar in place and haven't had for a few years and they've come up with this plan, but wonder if they could have done all this development work on the ground AND kept the county teams in place??

Radical, I know.

Strange that I can't find the link to the article on GAA.ie now where they state that all 5 counties were onboard with this proposal, someone never told Fermanagh County board and they've strayed off message.

I hope that the other four follow suit and if the rest of the counties vote this through then that's a shame on the whole association and Croke Park especially.

nrico2006

Quote from: seafoid on November 15, 2023, 06:53:57 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 12, 2023, 11:36:44 AMTyrone have less than 5 too.
It seems that junior are included

Still less than 5 though. Carrickmore, Dungannon, Omagh and Coalisland unless there is 1 I'm unaware of.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnnycool

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 22, 2023, 11:18:24 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 12, 2023, 11:36:44 AMTyrone have less than 5 too.

Still less than 5 though. Carrickmore, Dungannon, Omagh and Coalisland unless there is 1 I'm unaware of.

Eoghan Rua?

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on November 22, 2023, 12:04:20 PM

Eoghan Rua?

Eoghan Ruadh is Dungannon.

Naomh Colmcille is Coalisland/Clonoe etc.

Have Strabane folded?

Have Fintona a senior team yet? I suppose it 's important to say how many underage teams they have.

Regional teams seem to be the way to go.

Donegal seem to be progressing well but it's a huge county so logistics at underage is tricky.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on November 22, 2023, 12:22:39 PM

Eoghan Rua?

Have Strabane folded?

Have Fintona a senior team yet? I suppose it 's important to say how many underage teams they have.

Donegal seem to be progressing well but it's a huge county so logistics at underage is tricky.

So do the Clarkes not still play hurling as well?

nrico2006

Strabane folded and Fintona don't have a senior team. Is there a team called Benburb? Still seems like only 4.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Wolfetones

Cúchulainn an Ghleanna fielded a Senior team in the Cuchulainn League. So that's the fifth Adult team in Tyrone.

Underage teams, open to correction on these.
Cappagh - Killyclogher
Naomh Columcille - Clonoe/Coalisland
Duiche Neill - Benburb Area
Fintona
Cúchulainn an Ghleanna - Clogher Valley/Ballygawley
Tulach Óg - Cookstown Area
Omagh
Éire Óg - Carrickmore
Eoghan Ruadh - Dungannon
Strabane Shamrocks

marty34

Quote from: Wolfetones on November 22, 2023, 02:25:55 PMCúchulainn an Ghleanna fielded a Senior team in the Cuchulainn League. So that's the fifth Adult team in Tyrone.

Underage teams, open to correction on these.
Cappagh - Killyclogher
Naomh Columcille - Clonoe/Coalisland
Duiche Neill - Benburb Area
Fintona
Cúchulainn an Ghleanna - Clogher Valley/Ballygawley
Tulach Óg - Cookstown Area
Omagh
Éire Óg - Carrickmore
Eoghan Ruadh - Dungannon
Strabane Shamrocks

I didn't realise there was an underage team in Cappagh/Killyclogher.

I know Omagh have a team all the way up to senior.

Is Tulach Óg still going? I thought they split up with a lot of players going to St. Finbarrs in Derry?

If alk these clubs can keep going and field at senior level, it'll be great for hurling in Tyrone.

My personal opinion is that all clubs should play hurling and footbalk from U7.5 onwards. It's a huge benefit as has been proven.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on November 22, 2023, 01:27:13 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 22, 2023, 12:22:39 PM

Eoghan Rua?

Have Strabane folded?

So do the Clarkes not still play hurling as well?

No, two seperate clubs.

Only 1/4 mile apart also.

nrico2006

Did that Clogher/Ballygawley team play in the Tyrone league or championship?

Wolfetones