Gaelic Football RIP

Started by High Fielder, July 21, 2018, 06:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: Jinxy on August 14, 2018, 11:40:48 AM
I saw somebody mention elsewhere the 'basketball-like' nature of restarts now, where short kick-outs are the name of the game and there is no physical contest for possession.
This facilitates slow, cautious build-up play from the back.
Now that there is an actual reward for high-fielding, should we look at implementing a rule whereby all kick-outs must cross the 45m line?

Absolutely for all county games.

Wouldnt be enforceable at club level as some keepers cant even reach the 45

Jinxy

Yeah, I'd agree.
To be honest, I think that there are specific rules that should apply to the inter-county game alone, i.e. if we were to go down the road of a ref in each half, that obviously wouldn't be practical at club level.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Fans who are hoping to attend the All-Ireland football and hurling finals will need to buy separate tickets for babies or young infants that are travelling with them.

Tickets will be at a premium for the upcoming decider between Dublin and Tyrone in the All-Ireland SFC decider, as well as the clash between Galway and Limerick in the corresponding hurling fixture.

All fans will need an individual ticket for those fixtures at Croke Park as outlined under the terms and conditions on the official GAA website.

"For 'all-ticket' events every person [including infants] entering the venue must have a ticket. Please note all events in Croke Park are 'all-ticket'," it says.

Tyrone supporter Caoimhe Hill McCann brought her 16-week-old son Connla to the All-Ireland SFC semi-final against Monaghan on Sunday, which was his seventh game to attend this season.

McCann told RTÉ Sport that she didn't require a ticket for her son when attending previous fixtures at venues this year including Omagh, Carlow, Navan and Ballybofey. She also said she was not aware that a baby would need a ticket for all-ticket games.

But when she approached the turnstiles at Croke Park, she was stopped along with her husband Johnny and informed that their baby - who his mother was carrying in a sling - would require a ticket.

"There was a young girl taking tickets and she asked if we had a third ticket. We thought she was joking thinking that he didn't need a ticket for him yet. She told us we couldn't get access without a ticket for him," she said.

"She went and got her supervisor and he came to the turnstiles to speak to us and said there was no entry without a ticket. We told him he didn't need a seat and that he would be attached to me but they said that was irrelevant and told us we needed to go down and buy him a ticket."

The McCanns were assisted by stewards to obtain a ticket for the last-four tie but the delay in gaining entry resulted in them missing the first 10 minutes of the game.

They will also need a ticket for the baby when Tyrone take on Dublin in the All-Ireland final.

"You don't want to be buying a ticket for the baby if it means that somebody else is going to lose out. I just think the way it works needs to be reviewed," she added.

Speaking to RTÉ Sport, the GAA's Director of Communications Alan Milton explained that all spectators require a ticket for ticket-based fixtures due to health and safety reasons.

"It's a long-held practise and most people would be aware of it because we put it in the public domain every now and then."

"Every person coming to the stadium requires a ticket. It's for health and safety and it's just best practise. It has to be black and white for health and safety reasons."

By contrast, the IRFU Director of Communications Stephen McNamara told RTÉ Sport that babies under two years of age do not require a ticket for Ireland internationals at the Aviva grounds as outlined on the stadium's website.

mouview

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 14, 2018, 12:09:02 PM
Fans who are hoping to attend the All-Ireland football and hurling finals will need to buy separate tickets for babies or young infants that are travelling with them.

etc.

This was always the way, don't know why they're raising Cain about it now. Leave the child at home if you have to or let Mom stay at home too.

From the Bunker

Quote from: mouview on August 14, 2018, 12:16:55 PM

etc.

This was always the way, don't know why they're raising Cain about it now. Leave the child at home if you have to or let Mom stay at home too.

I have no problem with AI finals. That is a correct call. But semi-finals are usually a family day! Having to dish out extra money for a young child is a disgrace.

Halfquarter

etc.

Or the daddy could stay at home and allow mother and baby attend !

yellowcard

Does this mean that the IRFU are in breach of 'health and safety' protocols or is it just another example of the GAA being a stickler for rules and regulations that are so out of touch?

trueblue1234

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 14, 2018, 12:25:09 PM

etc.

I have no problem with AI finals. That is a correct call. But semi-finals are usually a family day! Having to dish out extra money for a young child is a disgrace.
This is a baby that isn't even taking up a seat. It shouldn't even be an issue with the final. I expect the GAA to look at this fairly sharpish.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

armaghniac

If you can fly on an aeroplane without buying a seat for a baby then so should you be able to do so in a stadium. In both cases though there an anti social effect for other patrons.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Halfquarter

Quote from: yellowcard on August 14, 2018, 12:29:55 PM
Does this mean that the IRFU are in breach of 'health and safety' protocols or is it just another example of the GAA being a stickler for rules and regulations that are so out of touch?

I'd be more concerned with the health and safety of the baby, all that noise cannot be good .

yellowcard

Quote from: Halfquarter on August 14, 2018, 12:38:37 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 14, 2018, 12:29:55 PM

I'd be more concerned with the health and safety of the baby, all that noise cannot be good .

The vast majority of gaelic football matches in recent times would surely have been a perfect environment for sleeping, you can often hear voices shouting on the pitch these days.

APM

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/football-crowds-at-croke-park-are-low-and-gaa-is-unsure-why-1.3595250?mode=amp

No mystery here:

• they need to read this thread
  • they need to understand:

• our game is becoming like soccer and this isn't what we signed up to
    • the style of football is killing the atmosphere at games and with no atmosphere, we might as well watch on TV
    • the kind of football that people want to watch, doesn't win All-Irelands right now
    • while the pundits may have a point, they are doing their best to undermine the product that they should be selling
    • that managers shouldn't have a say in rule changes - they should be told to f**k off because of their vested interest in the status quo
    • tickets are too expensive
An all-Ireland semi between Tyrone and Monaghan should be packed to the rafters.  People are voting with their feet and the GAA don't understand it.  It's obvious. 

Finally, this was meant to be a joke.  But its on the trajectory!!

Quote from: APM on July 27, 2018, 08:27:58 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 26, 2018, 08:12:20 PMBecause no matter what anyone tries to tell you, for those who play the game, it's all about winning and not entertainment.

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 07:06:00 PM
I really worry for some people. They want change, not sure what they exactly want, but change, even if we have to introduce some ridiculous rules. Similar to those who voted Brexit. Some very confused people around.

Who says I haven't played the game?
There's some patronising shite on here!  Come back to me lads when Tyrone win an All-Ireland in 2045 in front of 20,000 people in Portlaoise and tell me then that this win was as good as 2005, even though it no longer captures the imagination and interest of the county.

Jinxy

Quote from: armaghniac on August 14, 2018, 12:37:56 PM
If you can fly on an aeroplane without buying a seat for a baby then so should you be able to do so in a stadium. In both cases though there an anti social effect for other patrons.

That applies to sitting beside Tyrone supporters in general though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sligoman2

Quote from: APM on August 14, 2018, 12:48:04 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/football-crowds-at-croke-park-are-low-and-gaa-is-unsure-why-1.3595250?mode=amp

No mystery here:

• they need to read this thread
  • they need to understand:

• our game is becoming like soccer and this isn't what we signed up to
    • the style of football is killing the atmosphere at games and with no atmosphere, we might as well watch on TV
    • the kind of football that people want to watch, doesn't win All-Irelands right now
    • while the pundits may have a point, they are doing their best to undermine the product that they should be selling
    • that managers shouldn't have a say in rule changes - they should be told to f**k off because of their vested interest in the status quo
    • tickets are too expensive
An all-Ireland semi between Tyrone and Monaghan should be packed to the rafters.  People are voting with their feet and the GAA don't understand it.  It's obvious. 

Finally, this was meant to be a joke.  But its on the trajectory!!

Quote from: APM on July 27, 2018, 08:27:58 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 26, 2018, 08:12:20 PMBecause no matter what anyone tries to tell you, for those who play the game, it's all about winning and not entertainment.

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 07:06:00 PM
I really worry for some people. They want change, not sure what they exactly want, but change, even if we have to introduce some ridiculous rules. Similar to those who voted Brexit. Some very confused people around.

Who says I haven't played the game?
There's some patronising shite on here!  Come back to me lads when Tyrone win an All-Ireland in 2045 in front of 20,000 people in Portlaoise and tell me then that this win was as good as 2005, even though it no longer captures the imagination and interest of the county.

Not a joke at all AMP. This is the first year in my life that I have lost interest in football and I'm sure I'm not alone.  Watching hundreds of handpasses, almost no fielding, fear of losing possession, kicking the ball backwards time after time etc...
I can't believe that someone from the gaa said they don't understand the fall in attendance.  It's because the game has lost its spontaneity, it's boring and one team is dominating.

In other words the product is shyte from a neutral spectator point of view.  Wake up Croke Park ......
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

five points

Quote from: sligoman2 on August 14, 2018, 01:13:28 PM
Not a joke at all AMP. This is the first year in my life that I have lost interest in football and I'm sure I'm not alone.  Watching hundreds of handpasses, almost no fielding, fear of losing possession, kicking the ball backwards time after time etc...
I can't believe that someone from the gaa said they don't understand the fall in attendance.  It's because the game has lost its spontaneity, it's boring and one team is dominating.

In other words the product is shyte from a neutral spectator point of view.  Wake up Croke Park ......

+1    And I'm a lifetime football fanatic.