Gaelic Football RIP

Started by High Fielder, July 21, 2018, 06:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

How many of ye would watch Elphin v Strokestown?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Quote from: Rossfan on August 12, 2018, 12:54:46 PM

I would , I love Gaelic football though , if I'm passing by the castle in malahide on my way home from work and there's even a schools match on I'll stop and watch it .  I'm sure there's plenty that just love the game  .  The style and freedom of underage football I find far more enjoyable to watch too though I have to admit .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: larryin89 on August 12, 2018, 12:59:02 PM

I would , I love Gaelic football though , if I'm passing by the castle in malahide on my way home from work and there's even a schools match on I'll stop and watch it .  I'm sure there's plenty that just love the game  .  The style and freedom of underage football I find far more enjoyable to watch too though I have to admit .

Do you never go to watch the Syls?  ;)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Jinxy

One immediate positive change would be a big reduction in ticket prices for the super 8s.
There is an opportunity next year to undo some of the damage that was done this year and counter the 'Grab All Association' narrative.
Do whatever it takes to keep people going to games, because once you fall out of the habit, suddenly the TV seems like the sensible option.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

armaghniac

Quote from: Jinxy on August 12, 2018, 01:42:15 PM
One immediate positive change would be a big reduction in ticket prices for the super 8s.
There is an opportunity next year to undo some of the damage that was done this year and counter the 'Grab All Association' narrative.
Do whatever it takes to keep people going to games, because once you fall out of the habit, suddenly the TV seems like the sensible option.

Reducing prices for games where people can't get in is not necessarily a wise move.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

Why not?
Particularly if they are going to persist with a round in Croke Park.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BarryBreensBandage

100%. Yesterday was my first time at Croke Park in a while, Slaughtneil's first club final I think was the last, and I had forgotten what a good day out it was. I enjoyed it far more than if I had have watched it on the telly.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

larryin89

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 12, 2018, 01:19:46 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 12, 2018, 12:59:02 PM

Do you never go to watch the Syls?  ;)

Haha of course but not massively attached

larryin89

What percentage roughly do you think it would increase attendance by ?

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on August 12, 2018, 02:09:14 PM

What percentage roughly do you think it would increase attendance by ?

Price drop is grand if you are a Dub and all the games are on your doorstep. And you are winning. Donegal fans won't go to Croker just for a cheap game!

rodney trotter

It was hard to get even excited about the Semi finals. The super 8s seem to have killed the interest in the Semis. Teams playing consecutIve weeks and then into the Semi final.

The crowds were poor as well for the Semi finals.

mrdeeds

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 12, 2018, 05:54:34 PM
It was hard to get even excited about the Semi finals. The super 8s seem to have killed the interest in the Semis. Teams playing consecutIve weeks and then into the Semi final.

Unless you're Dublin with a huge squad who does so many games benefit?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 12, 2018, 06:00:19 PM

Unless you're Dublin with a huge squad who does so many games benefit?

The GAA HQ lads more games equals more cash but i have no doubt they expected bigger crowds for their new money making format. 

Aaron Boone

Still over 100,000 people attended.

larryin89

As a matter of interest has the attendance for a semi final involving Dublin been that low before ?