Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: muppet on February 08, 2010, 03:17:03 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on February 08, 2010, 03:10:34 PM

What is wrong with believing that homophobia is wrong?

Ask Iris.

Iris never thought it was wrong. In fact, that was her belief.
Testing Accessibility

muppet

Quote from: ziggysego on February 08, 2010, 03:30:16 PM

Ask Iris.

Iris never thought it was wrong. In fact, that was her belief.

Yes but if you believe it is wrong who better to ask than one of it's main proponents?
MWWSI 2017

118cmal

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 02:57:54 PM
Another problem is a lot of people don't understand what the words mean. On the board here a few weeks ago a poster expressed his dislike of some black person (can't remember who it was). Another idiot said he was being racist, but the views were not expressed because of the man's colour and did not refer to his colour. 
Do people think that it is homophobic to feel squemish-uncomfortable (not sure what word to use) at the sight of two men snogging?

I find it uncomfortable, but I also feel this way when I see heterosexual couples snogging.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: 118cmal on February 08, 2010, 03:33:33 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 02:57:54 PM
Another problem is a lot of people don't understand what the words mean. On the board here a few weeks ago a poster expressed his dislike of some black person (can't remember who it was). Another idiot said he was being racist, but the views were not expressed because of the man's colour and did not refer to his colour. 
Do people think that it is homophobic to feel squemish-uncomfortable (not sure what word to use) at the sight of two men snogging?

I find it uncomfortable, but I also feel this way when I see heterosexual couples snogging.

Two women kissing is nice tho   8)

longrunsthefox

Nice one centurian, not quite what I had in mind tho  :P

SuperMac

Ask Iris.
;D

I've read of serious attacks in Dublin on the gays. Remember reading a post by a gay man who was walking up Henry Street ( pedestrian street runs down one side of the GPO ) and two fellas grabbed him by the arms, twisting and yanking them behind his back, kicked his feet from under him causing him to smash his face off the ground as he couldn't put his hands out to break the fall. They then lashed into him with a serious of kicks and punches. The psycholoigacl effect on him was very frightening and I'd say a deep lifelong scar on him.

Watched on TV3 a gay man who was attacked at Christchurch, beat him to a pulp. He managed to break free and ran for it. Ran to a taxi at the lights with the others chasing him, taxi driver wouldn't let him into car. Other taxi came along, pulled up and ordered him to jump in and took him directly to hospital. It's only a matter fo time until one of them are killed. I think their was a man kicked to death up jn the Phoneix Park back in the late 70's. He wasn't gay but a gang of little scumbags thought he was.

AZOffaly

Were those attacks because he was gay (how did they know?) or was it because they were simply scumbags on the prowl?

SuperMac

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 08, 2010, 04:43:51 PM
Were those attacks because he was gay (how did they know?) or was it because they were simply scumbags on the prowl?
I think they followed them after leaving a gay bar. The attack on Henry Street - their's a gay bar on Capel St which is at the bottom of Henry St. The attack in Christchurch - probably followed him form the gay bar on Gerorge's St. Maybe this isn't politically correct but to be honest, sometimes the gays are easy to pick out, you know, the effemitive hairdresser type.

Zapatista

I know two blokes who used to go 'gay bashing' as they called it. It was prob back in the late 70s/early 80s. Picked on he wrong gays one time and got themselves a merciless kicking. That was the end of their 'gay bashing' days.

muppet

Quote from: SuperMac on February 08, 2010, 04:42:47 PM

Ask Iris.
;D

I've read of serious attacks in Dublin on the gays. Remember reading a post by a gay man who was walking up Henry Street ( pedestrian street runs down one side of the GPO ) and two fellas grabbed him by the arms, twisting and yanking them behind his back, kicked his feet from under him causing him to smash his face off the ground as he couldn't put his hands out to break the fall. They then lashed into him with a serious of kicks and punches. The psycholoigacl effect on him was very frightening and I'd say a deep lifelong scar on him.

Watched on TV3 a gay man who was attacked at Christchurch, beat him to a pulp. He managed to break free and ran for it. Ran to a taxi at the lights with the others chasing him, taxi driver wouldn't let him into car. Other taxi came along, pulled up and ordered him to jump in and took him directly to hospital. It's only a matter fo time until one of them are killed. I think their was a man kicked to death up jn the Phoneix Park back in the late 70's. He wasn't gay but a gang of little scumbags thought he was.

Fairview I think.
MWWSI 2017

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: SuperMac on February 08, 2010, 04:48:21 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 08, 2010, 04:43:51 PM
I think they followed them after leaving a gay bar. The attack on Henry Street - their's a gay bar on Capel St which is at the bottom of Henry St. The attack in Christchurch - probably followed him form the gay bar on Gerorge's St. Maybe this isn't politically correct but to be honest, sometimes the gays are easy to pick out, you know, the effemitive hairdresser type.

Jesus, I know you put in a caveat, but like sometimes it's easy to pick out the black guys. ::)
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

The Iceman

I don't have a problem with gay people.  I have a problem if a gay person is outwardly over the top flamboyantly gay and wants everyone to know.  Your business is your business so keep it that way.
I don't have a problem with other races but if a black man takes my spot in the car park I'll still be pissed off and racist thoughts may automatically spring to mind.

My biggest fear is that we become so politically correct that we are not allowed to think for ourselves anymore. 

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I hate the Franco phobia that I see in Ireland (long before Thierry Henry & that is not reason enough for it either). The Irish are watching too much British bigotry towards the French on British TV and also American anti-French feeling (just because the French stand up to them and their illegal wars) in American film.

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Other than the Henry incident i have seen little or no anti-French activity or commentary.

Some taxidrivers let themselves down wrt to foreigners but mostly Ireland is ok. I think it is popular to run ourselves down in some way or other.
MWWSI 2017