FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MayoBuck

Jack Byrne won't play any football for the next 3 months unless he gets a move to England.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: BennyCake on November 20, 2019, 12:16:19 AM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on November 19, 2019, 10:54:27 PM
ROI v NI in Dundalk?

Isle of Man maybe?

Turn it into two legs in Glasgow...one at Ibrox and one at Celtic Park...Thursday and the following Tuesday...that's a long weekend in every sense.

Ronnie

Suits us in NI and we love a sectarian slugfest... what about yous in the South?

shark

Quote from: Ronnie on November 20, 2019, 06:25:23 AM
Suits us in NI and we love a sectarian slugfest... what about yous in the South?

Not sure we have any posters from Cork/Kerry/Waterford. The idea is pretty alien to us in the Midlands.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: shark on November 19, 2019, 09:46:52 PM
I presume they'll warm up the Ireland, Scotland and Romania balls to ensure home finals, should they make it. They've made no secret of their preference for host nations to qualify.

This is UEFA, the "warming the balls" trick is too subtle.  Remember in 2009 they just changed the rules the day before the draw.   Teams were seeded according to World rankings to give France, Portugal and Russia the advantage.

/Jim.

Main Street

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 20, 2019, 08:33:50 AM
Quote from: shark on November 19, 2019, 09:46:52 PM
I presume they'll warm up the Ireland, Scotland and Romania balls to ensure home finals, should they make it. They've made no secret of their preference for host nations to qualify.

This is UEFA, the "warming the balls" trick is too subtle.  Remember in 2009 they just changed the rules the day before the draw.   Teams were seeded according to World rankings to give France, Portugal and Russia the advantage.

/Jim.
They didn't change the rules before that draw, but the draw outcome just happened to be exactly similar to a rule change which favoured  seeded teams. I forget the maths but the chances of that exact outcome happening were on the extreme end of remote.
The 4  "seeded" teams just happened to draw  the 4 "unseeded" teams and play away in the first leg.  That was a stroke pulled in the mould of Ray Burke.

Edit - I'm thinking of another draw.
It was the draw  for the euro 2000 qual playoffs, from the wiki page "No seeding system was used, making the draw an open one. This decision was announced by UEFA the day before the draw was made."

BennyCake

UEFA said it would be an open draw for 2009 play offs. Then realised France was in there, so they changed the rules and made the draw seeded.

shark

Quote from: BennyCake on November 20, 2019, 12:30:29 PM
UEFA said it would be an open draw for 2009 play offs. Then realised France was in there, so they changed the rules and made the draw seeded.

And then France stunk out the World Cup.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: MayoBuck on November 20, 2019, 12:09:20 AM
Jack Byrne won't play any football for the next 3 months unless he gets a move to England.

Good. Playoff is in March.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 20, 2019, 12:36:58 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on November 20, 2019, 12:09:20 AM

Good. Playoff is in March.

I don't think it's good if he plans to be involved in the playoff.

rodney trotter

It would be a surprise if he's still at Rovers next season. 3 or 4 clubs were watching him in the Cup final.

I wonder will Troy Parrott get a Loan move in January or will Mourinho want to keep him involved for rest of season.
Lee O Connor could probaly do with a loan move too. Not getting first team football at Celtic.

Main Street

I doubt if  Mick will be the coach that voluntarily introduces the next crop into the senior team. But against Denmark late on with them packing defence there was a context for a electrifying dribble wizard such as Parrott to come is as a sub. I think he will be a transfer target in the next window for a top team who can promise him some first team football.

shark

Parrott's immediate future has changed today with the new managerial appointment. He does not have a good track record of developing young players. A loan move would be ideal for him. O'Connor hasn't broken through at Celtic yet, but maybe he will before the season is out. Thought we'd have seen more of Luca Connell at this stage too. Presume he has been injured?

rodney trotter

Connell is meant to be Injured. Jonathan Afolobi joined Celtic in the summer too, starred with Ireland U19s.. He's currently injured too.
The Irish U21s not affected by their losses. Good depth