Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

What's the story with Podge Lalor? He was in for a while and did quite well I thought.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

The Boy Wonder

HT  Clare 0-16  Laois 1-6
A string of frees conceded gives Clare a very flattering lead. Laois giving away the ball or getting dispossessed too easily.
Should be much closer.
Hard to see them pulling back that lead but extra man might help in 2nd half.

Helix.

Well f**k it anyways. Great performance but big chance missed!

The Boy Wonder

Great effort but just fell short - definitely left it behind.
Too much loose play, overhit passes and cheap frees cost dearly.
But well done to the lads on a very good performance.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on November 07, 2020, 03:02:39 PM
Great effort but just fell short - definitely left it behind.
Too much loose play, overhit passes and cheap frees cost dearly.
But well done to the lads on a very good performance.

The close passing didn't always work but was also the reason we were so dangerous going forward. It put a lot of men in space which resulted in scores or chances and nearly worked.

Happy to eat my words as I thought we would be hammered. Considering we lost Ross King, that neither Kavanagh nor Picky were anywhere near fit and the absentees from 2019 that was some performance. The stick work was very impressive at times. The backs in particular were very sharp. We left it behind us but what a performance.

Helix.

You'd be hopeful Eddie Brennan would stay on for another year. Whether he will remains to be seen. Much improved performance today even when Clare with 15 men. Some inexperience with some turnovers but as outlined in last post putting ball through the hands we certainly more dangerous up front. Took goals well and hopefully will kick in again in 2021 and have best players committing to the cause.

burdizzo

Yeah, definitely they were there for the taking, and considering the amount of wides we had... Also, Paddy Purcell very unfortunate not to have had a goal or a penalty that time he was brought down. I wonder was he carrying an injury, not to start? Well, you'd hope after a performance like that, that Brennan would stay on. I'd say a flat performance and he'd be off, but in fairness to them, they kept at it even when it seemed it was drifting way from them. Hopefully Brennan will see enough heart in them to stay.
Thought the ref. let a lot go, which is fine - but probably explains the tussle that led to the red card. I'd say Kavanagh reacted when he should have had the free, and that the Clare lad 'over-reacted' shall we say!

Keyser Söze

Not much to add to the above. As was said they have committed to playing a certain way and working the ball, and are right to stick to it even when it's not coming off perfectly. I'm not sure we ever really looked liked winning, but didn't look like getting hammered at any stage either. The ref was brutal in my opinion. Some very strange calls, and he didn't seem to want to make any decision himself. Is the sending off incident available to watch anywhere? I missed it if GAAGO showed it? The Purcell goal incident was handled very poorly by the officials. He didn't need to whistle, had he let it go a little longer there were going to be no arguments about calling it back.
Nobody wants to be beaten, but that's as positive an end to the year as we could have hoped for.
There aren't too many guys who you'd be thinking would be finished at this level, and hopefully a few returnees and new faces. They have done well with guys they brought in who were less obvious choices.

Hard to know what Eddie will do. I can't imagine that Mattie Kenny will be given much more time in Dublin, that could prove crucial. Likewise Davy in Wexford. There aren't too many guys out there in a better position after today should he be interested in either job. All in all you'd have to hand it to him and the management team. And I don't think there would be any begrudgery if he moved on to either of these or elsewhere. Finding a replacement worries me, but hopefully we won't need one.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

G@@

Thought Laois were fantastic in the second half. It's a long time since I seen a Laois senior hurling team come from well behind and almost snatch it. Laois of old would have suffered a beating once they went 7pts or 8pts down. There was a crazy spell of poor passing where we gifted Clare three points on the reel - around the time Clare went to 0-22 if I remember correctly. This spell probably took our chance of winning away.

Jack Kelly had a stormer of a game and kept popping up everywhere clearing ball and creating chances for others to work off. Why was Purcell's goal not given - he was fouled, but what happened to advantage play??? Secondly, he was fouled in the square so it was a penalty, not a 21yd free. Crazy decision. The referee not giving us a chance to take the free at the end was another disgrace, Rowland would probably have knocked it over for extra time.

Delaney had a decent game too and managed a point. Stapleton was effective but needs to work on his passing. Hartnett was sublime and is really maturing in his role. Keyes goal was incredible as was Aaron Dunphy's.

Hopefully we will retain the services of Eddie Brennan next year, he told reporters this evening he wouldn't be drawn on a decision. I think with Covid ongoing he might stay put for another year.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

marty34

Quote from: G@@ on November 07, 2020, 08:46:43 PM
Thought Laois were fantastic in the second half. It's a long time since I seen a Laois senior hurling team come from well behind and almost snatch it. Laois of old would have suffered a beating once they went 7pts or 8pts down. There was a crazy spell of poor passing where we gifted Clare three points on the reel - around the time Clare went to 0-22 if I remember correctly. This spell probably took our chance of winning away.

Jack Kelly had a stormer of a game and kept popping up everywhere clearing ball and creating chances for others to work off. Why was Purcell's goal not given - he was fouled, but what happened to advantage play??? Secondly, he was fouled in the square so it was a penalty, not a 21yd free. Crazy decision. The referee not giving us a chance to take the free at the end was another disgrace, Rowland would probably have knocked it over for extra time.

Delaney had a decent game too and managed a point. Stapleton was effective but needs to work on his passing. Hartnett was sublime and is really maturing in his role. Keyes goal was incredible as was Aaron Dunphy's.

Hopefully we will retain the services of Eddie Brennan next year, he told reporters this evening he wouldn't be drawn on a decision. I think with Covid ongoing he might stay put for another year.

Re: the 'penalty'.

I thought it was Shane O'Donnell who dragged him down and  S. O'Halloran got the yellow card.

Maybe I'm wrong.

GAA Go's camera angle seemed to be wide angle the whole time, no close up shots.  Plus Ger, I think, was by himself. No analyst with him, made for strange commentary.

Great effort by Laois though.

Spiritof1915

Quote from: Helix. on November 07, 2020, 05:37:17 PM
You'd be hopeful Eddie Brennan would stay on for another year. Whether he will remains to be seen. Much improved performance today even when Clare with 15 men. Some inexperience with some turnovers but as outlined in last post putting ball through the hands we certainly more dangerous up front. Took goals well and hopefully will kick in again in 2021 and have best players committing to the cause.
Excellent effort. In fairness to brennan his teams always show great heart and determination. A lot to build on with the short turn around of inter county seasons. Although Brennans rhetoric after the game wouldnt fill you with confidence that he'll stay on.

Zooming around

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on November 08, 2020, 08:58:10 AM
Excellent effort. In fairness to brennan his teams always show great heart and determination. A lot to build on with the short turn around of inter county seasons. Although Brennans rhetoric after the game wouldnt fill you with confidence that he'll stay on.

His interview indicated to me that he wants to stay on but won't put up with the restrictions constantly imposed by our county/football board. We have shown that we can compete as a Liam McCarthy/Division 1 team and they should invest accordingly to help them push on again. However, my breath will not be held. Too many running the show don't want the hurlers to succeed at all and quite a few want them to fail.

Helix.

Quote from: Zooming around on November 08, 2020, 11:49:14 AM
Quote from: Spiritof1915 on November 08, 2020, 08:58:10 AM

His interview indicated to me that he wants to stay on but won't put up with the restrictions constantly imposed by our county/football board. We have shown that we can compete as a Liam McCarthy/Division 1 team and they should invest accordingly to help them push on again. However, my breath will not be held. Too many running the show don't want the hurlers to succeed at all and quite a few want them to fail.

They did the same to Sugrue with the football when he was there restricting simple demands. Granted money is tight I'd imagine running two sides. Invest accordingly is right and get few from last year back and push on again. I'd fear if Brennan left with most likely no replacement considered and left high and try and appoint some spoofer of some sort. We've had enough of those over the years!
There is definitely potential to push on further. If we could get a few more hurlers with decent size and win more aerial ball up front would definitely help.
Probably a silly question but has there ever been as regards supporters club in Laois like what they have with Tipp senior hurlers Club Rossie for Roscommon for example?

burdizzo

I think there was one in Cheddar's time, no?