Podcasts

Started by Soup an Samajiz, November 06, 2015, 09:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Halfway through the Unheard: The Fred and Rosemary West Tapes at the minute. Not sure if it has been mentioned before on here.  Interesting stuff.  It's not something I would have delved into before.

APM

Probably one for the GAA section, but just listened to Thomas O'Se's podcast with McGeeney.  Thought it was damn good. 

The Subbie

I'm a few episodes into "Wind of change"
Podcast series about a theory that the song from the skorpians " Wind of Change" was a CIA sponsored phsyops move on Russia round about the time the iron curtain was falling , it goes into detail on how the CIA used Nina Simone and Louis Armstrong in Africa in the 60's to halt the spread of communism

It's actually very interesting and is formatted similar to "the nobody zone " in that it's a documentary type podcast vs a talking shop

I'm enjoying it , it's worth a go

Main Street

I didn't get the claimed virtue about the Nobody Zone podcast.
The character (ex cop) who wrote  the book about the supposed serial killer was exposed as deluded to an unknown extreme.
Apart from that, the English cops got their guy for a murder or two, he claimed he did more  and was willing to trade info in order for an  easier time but his evidence on the extra murders did not pass muster. The podcast investigator did not come up with any new decent evidence.
Afaics the  English cops did alright, they got their man, proved him guilty and did not introduce fantasy conspiracy  evidence into the equation.

Never beat the deeler

A couple that have been recommended to me lately - haven't seen them discussed on here:

- 13 Minutes to the Moon
BBC World service produced this -
Season 1 is called How we landed on the moon. Goes through the lead up to the moon landing in great depth. I am on Ep5 and enjoying it. Last episode dealt with the Apollo 1 tragedy.
Season 2 is entitled The Apollo 13 Story

- Guru: The Dark Side of Entitlement
Produced by Wondery, who are famous for Dr Death, Dirty John and others.
I have just listened to episode 1 and intrigued - the story deals with self help, life coach type guru, a pseudo science that is becoming a bit of a growth industry
QuoteJames Arthur Ray was an Oprah-endorsed self-help teacher who achieved fame, fortune, and influence. But friends and family members of his followers questioned his unorthodox methods, and tried to stop him.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Tony Baloney

I'll second 13 Minutes To The Moon. Just the right amount of geeky engineering content without going overboard, and let's face it it's an interesting story!

lurganblue

Quote from: cicfada on March 25, 2020, 01:35:53 AM
The Nobody Zone is an excellent podcast, about the Irish serial killer in London.

For any of the ones on here who listened to this series, there are now new episodes out as I believe some new evidence has been uncovered.

Main Street

I like the BBC's Lazarus Heist, a worthwhile podcast that centers on the incredible development of North Korean hackery. It's educational as in explaining in detail how some the outrageous hacks were carried out, dives deep into how the state controlled hacking structure took shape and become a huge foreign currency earner for the stone age state.

The Subbie

One I just got diverted to recently was West Cork , it's about the murder of Sophie Toscan de Plantier in Schull in the late 90's
The true crime podcast thing was kinda overdone for me in the last few years but this one is excellent
It's out since 2018 but has recently released new episodes

Very well produced and worth a listen

general

Stumbled upon Revolutionary Ireland from lorcan Collins. Its s real find and keeping my newry to Dublin commute occupied recently.

Jonkunlon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts

29 pages of podcasts. Something for everyone.

screenexile

The George Gibney podcasts on BBC sounds is excellent. Harrowing at time but really well done.

Eamonnca1

I love the David McWilliams podcast. Sometimes it takes a bit of focus to take it in, but it's really accessible and the banter with him and his mates is always good crack.  Reminiscing about "going on the lash" when he was a young lad, he meets some big names and can tell you what they're like. Apparently Kenneth Clarke is "a bit of craic."

lurganblue

The Irish History Podcast - War of Independence series has been nothing short of fantastic. I've particularly enjoyed the snippets of info about actions in the North. To my own shame I hadn't known much about the stuff that went on up here in those years.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: lurganblue on June 16, 2021, 07:44:34 AM
The Irish History Podcast - War of Independence series has been nothing short of fantastic. I've particularly enjoyed the snippets of info about actions in the North. To my own shame I hadn't known much about the stuff that went on up here in those years.
I have enjoyed that one as well, also BBC sounds have a  podcast called "Year 21"   with Declan Harvey and Tara Mills which is both informative and entertaining.