The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Out of that team last night, is Milner the best value signing that Liverpool have made?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on February 15, 2018, 01:22:47 PM
Out of that team last night, is Milner the best value signing that Liverpool have made?

He and the club know his worth, hes a reliable penalty taker, he plays plenty positions in that team, never makes the headlines and seems a nice fella... A Denis Irwin type of play, a complete steal in the transfer market
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TabClear

He's no  Sami Hyypia

Minder

Salah has been above average value for money

Unfortunately I would doubt he sees out his contract at Liverpool 
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Minder on February 15, 2018, 02:04:11 PM

Guys gonna make 130 mil+ come the summer. Not sure if Liverpool will find another nugget like that for 35mil. What if Liverpool run deep in CL would that  encourage players like this to stay
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Orchard park

Quote from: Minder on February 15, 2018, 02:04:11 PM

[/quote

feeder clubs never hold onto their best do they

Syferus

The VVD money is evidence that the Boston lads are trying to compete on transfer fees but what players will look at are the seeming attempts to nickel and dime them at contract time. Why has the Can negotiation taken so long? The rumours were they were trying to have no release clause at all in the contract. Good luck with that.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Syferus on February 15, 2018, 02:33:46 PM
The VVD money is evidence that the Boston lads are trying to compete on transfer fees but what players will look at are the seeming attempts to nickel and dime them at contract time. Why has the Can negotiation taken so long? The rumours were they were trying to have no release clause at all in the contract. Good luck with that.

You do realise they got an absolute fortune for Coutinho in that window. Liverpool's owners are businessmen, not sugar daddies.

mouview

Quote from: TabClear on February 15, 2018, 02:00:28 PM

He's no  Sami Hyypia

He's no Dennis Irwin either!

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 15, 2018, 02:35:34 PM

You do realise they got an absolute fortune for Coutinho in that window. Liverpool's owners are businessmen, not sugar daddies.

I think they're doing good business but if you want to compete you need to compete at contract time too. For better or worse Man Utd and PSG have set the new standard for player remuneration and Liverpool will continually see their best players leave in their primes unless they offer similar packages.

Courtinho couldn't wait to leave an exciting Liverpool side despite having to sit out the rest of the CL and La Liga already being wrapped up. You can put that down to Barca being a big club, but the extra money is what'll keep him going into old age.

Minder

Quote from: Syferus on February 15, 2018, 02:40:56 PM

I think they're doing good business but if you want to compete you need to compete at contract time too. For better or worse Man Utd and PSG have set the new standard for player remuneration and Liverpool will continually see their best players leave in their primes unless they offer similar packages.

Courtinho couldn't wait to leave an exciting Liverpool side despite having to sit out the rest of the CL and La Liga already being wrapped up. You can put that down to Barca being a big club, but the extra money is what'll keep him going into old age.

Coutinho was never about money, fairly obvious I would have thought. Liverpool offered him a huge increase apparently
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

Quote from: Minder on February 15, 2018, 02:53:46 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 15, 2018, 02:40:56 PM

Coutinho was never about money, fairly obvious I would have thought. Liverpool offered him a huge increase apparently

You're forgetting how favourable the Spainish tax system is for high earners. Even the same nominal wage would be significantly different take home in the UK and Spain. Like any career the biggest opportunity to get a wage hike is by moving jobs and I'd bet Courtinho and his agent made sure he was getting a favourable deal (image rights value alone for him increases massively moving to a mega club) before he started pushing for the exit door.

trileacman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 15, 2018, 10:31:51 AM
Quote from: trileacman on February 15, 2018, 10:26:41 AM
Mane had two tap ins and a screamer when the tie never mind the match was as good as dead. He butchered 2-3 chances whilst the game was still in the melting pot. I don't mean to be too hard on him but he preformed as he has been lately, consistently taking the wrong decision. Hopefully the hat-trick is the kick in the ass he needs.

Firmino continues to amaze me. He's technically a very limited footballer and just by observing him he's clearly in a level below mo and courinho but there's still some mercurial quality behind him. I'd guarantee if he was playing for United or a team without a attacking threat he'd look like Dogshit. There's just a perfect foil between him and this Liverpool style of play, which seems to magnify his qualities as a footballer.

How can you say Firmino is 'very' limited? His vision and flicks and the way he links up play, never mind his work rate and goalscoring record, would suggest that's extremely harsh. Unless by very limited you mean he's not Messi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdxMjq9Q7ew

Phils 20 goals, only 1 from outside the box and I'd say 15+ from 6 yards or less. City goal is world class and the Arsenal one and some of the headers are grand. The rest aren't near the quality of what mo and coutinho are capable of.

I was being harsh when I said "very" limited, I take that back. He's our equivalent of Hernandez who was a very prolific striker without having an attribute to which you could easily assign his success to. Mane is a much faster and purer striker of the ball, he can place a strike beautifully whilst still retaining power in it. I just think to look at him and watch him play he's just so unlikely to be such a prolific 9/ false 9 (which is he by the way?). All I mean is that for such a prolific/influential player he'll likely be the last man that teams look to lure away and probably worth the least in transfer terms.

However said we should sign Salah needs another 0 on the end of their contract by the way. Whether it was brilliance or just a fortuitous decision it's been a season-defining idea. With Coutinho set to up sticks we needed a dynamism to keep the attack fresh and by god has he been it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Main Street

Quote from: mouview on February 15, 2018, 02:35:54 PM
Quote from: TabClear on February 15, 2018, 02:00:28 PM

He's no  Sami Hyypia

He's no Dennis Irwin either!
Neither of whom were on that team last night.
It feels as if he's been around forever and last night  I thought he was looking particularly sprightly for a lad of about 37 years old, but I see he hasn't even reached the age of maturity yet.

trileacman

His greatest feature is his accent.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014