Tag Rugby

Started by laoislad, June 05, 2015, 09:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

I've been asked to play in a Tag Rugby tournament in a few weeks , no doubt because of my sheer athleticism and all round genius in everything I do...(or I could be just making up the numbers)

Anyways, I have no interest in Rugby in any shape or form but can't really say no, but I've never thrown a rugby ball never mind play in a game.
So what's the deal with this tag rugby? Can I hit people?
There are a few Dubs playing whom I wouldn't mind giving a bit of a dig to the ribs...

I've looked on YouTube and it looks competitive enough.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Walter Cronc

Tag rugby is great craic LL.

No contact however. Generally you have 2 tags on either hip. The task is to grab it as the player advances.

Its harder to make a tag than you think, especially coming from a GAA/Rugby background where all you want to do is hit the player a whack.

After 5 tags you have to kick it, so it's like Rugby league in that sense.

Usually lasts 20mins a half and you can go as hard/easy as you like. Well worth it!!

AZOffaly

You can't hit people. It's more like Rugby League than union, you have to score a try in so many tackles, I think it's 6. Basically you run and pass like in Rugby, but if your opponent rips your tag (a little strap on each hip) off, you are 'tackled' and have to stop immediately and roll the ball back to a team mate. If it's the 6th tackle, the ball turns over.

It's good enough crack. The one thing that drove me mad is the rule that you can't swing your arms when running. When I'm sprinting, I pump my arms, and when I'm carrying a ball in one hand, I still pump the other arm. This is a penalty in tag rugby because apparently it's deemed that you are slapping away the tackler's hand. It annoyed the hell out of me. I was doing it instinctively and kept giving away penalties. I ended up telling the ref to f**k off.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 05, 2015, 09:22:25 AM
You can't hit people. It's more like Rugby League than union, you have to score a try in so many tackles, I think it's 6. Basically you run and pass like in Rugby, but if your opponent rips your tag (a little strap on each hip) off, you are 'tackled' and have to stop immediately and roll the ball back to a team mate. If it's the 6th tackle, the ball turns over.

It's good enough crack. The one thing that drove me mad is the rule that you can't swing your arms when running. When I'm sprinting, I pump my arms, and when I'm carrying a ball in one hand, I still pump the other arm. This is a penalty in tag rugby because apparently it's deemed that you are slapping away the tackler's hand. It annoyed the hell out of me. I was doing it instinctively and kept giving away penalties. I ended up telling the ref to f**k off.

Haha got pinged a few times myself AZ. Playing in a 'mixed' league isn't easy!

You can also play a little grubber kick in behind at any time.

Canalman

Quote from: laoislad on June 05, 2015, 09:15:51 AM
I've been asked to play in a Tag Rugby tournament in a few weeks , no doubt because of my sheer athleticism and all round genius in everything I do...(or I could be just making up the numbers)

Anyways, I have no interest in Rugby in any shape or form but can't really say no, but I've never thrown a rugby ball never mind play in a game.
There are a few Dubs playing whom I wouldn't mind giving a bit of a dig to the ribs...

In fairness, no kudos in bragging about giving digs in Tag rugby. 

Known also as "kiss chasing " I believe.

Great social life involved I believe with barbeques, get togethers , nights out etc organized.

Denn Forever

I'm sure if Eoghan watches you play, it will be the new game in your back garden.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

laoislad

Quote from: Canalman on June 05, 2015, 10:24:14 AM

In fairness, no kudos in bragging about giving digs in Tag rugby. 

Known also as "kiss chasing " I believe.

Great social life involved I believe with barbeques, get togethers , nights out etc organized.
Around where I'm from you always get kudos for giving a Dub a dig  :D 

Sounds like a decent day out alright.

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 05, 2015, 10:33:26 AM
I'm sure if Eoghan watches you play, it will be the new game in your back garden.
Wrestling me on the ground and kicking me in the gut is his favourite game at the moment!

Hardy

Sounds like you're rearing a proper Laoisman.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 05, 2015, 09:22:25 AM

My 2 lads play minis and holding the ball in 2 hands is the one thing they can't get used to. The middle lad likes to tuck it under his arm and take off and has been pulled a few times for fending. Seems it affects even big kids  ;)

snoopdog

i have no interest in Rugby and played tag at some sort of corporate tournament a few years back in Dublin, basically nothing too it. we got a team together no one ever played it or rugby before and we got to the final, only problem was it interupted our drinking time.
its not diffcult, just remember to  pass the ball behind you, not as boring as the real thing. no skill required.

AZOffaly

I call bullshit. Unless you are exaggerating about your team's previous experience, or else everyone else was in the same boat. There's no way ye were a bunch of newbies and took on teams who had played before. There is skill in it, but it's more social than anything else.

snoopdog

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 05, 2015, 02:50:51 PM
I call bullshit. Unless you are exaggerating about your team's previous experience, or else everyone else was in the same boat. There's no way ye were a bunch of newbies and took on teams who had played before. There is skill in it, but it's more social than anything else.
its true, we arranged a team from the office and no one ever played it. granted we had a few lads who had played football and hurling but never chased a big egg.  Believe what you like maybe everyone else was crap, but best part was we beat the team from the office that played every week during the summer in the semi final, they were none too pleased.

laoislad

Played in this today.
Enjoyable enough sort of a game.
Some of the rules are a bit frustrating, was in for a try a few times only to be called back because they said I was slapping at the hands trying to pull off my tag. Didn't even realise I was doing it.
The temptation to tackle is hard to resist and I had fouls called against me a few times at the start because of it.
Did manage a few tries though and a couple of last ditch dives to pull a tag off someone.

We got to the 1/4 finals in the end which was great, (missed the start of hurling because of it, not that it mattered!)there were 30+ teams split into groups and we got through that and the next round after, we had a few who had played the game before though.
Had some Ex Munster and Ireland player telling us what to do on sideline , can't for the life of me remember his name though.

theticklemister

Lad I'd definetly take up the old Tag Rugby as you have feck all else to do for the Summer now