Live Albums

Started by downredblack, November 02, 2007, 11:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downredblack

Had a flick through the new REM live album going home the other night and I have to say its not as good as I thought it would be . Not enough of the hits on it for my liking . I have seen them live a couple of times and they put on a good show , just don't think this live album does them justice .

What's peoples favorite live album ?

Mine would be "Rank " more or less the Queen is Dead live .

Goats Do Shave

I've a decent Paul Wellar live album.

But Led Zepplin re mastered Live BBC Sessions is great!

Louth Exile

Thin Lizzy's - Live and Dangerous is commonly regarded as possibly the finest live album of all time. Lizzy at the peak of their powers

Personally it is AC/DC live, class live album and some of the tracks were taking from the Dublin gig (which was my first ever concert)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Great Leap Forward

I think the REM album is trying to push the more recent albums which is a pity. Their last 2 or 3 albums are quite good but I would have preferred to have heard a live album made from the Monster tour when it was the original line-up. They were also the biggest band in the world at that time.

An REM live album that doesn't contain Country Feeback and It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) is criminal in book especially as the latter was the song they used for years to end the show.

I have a bootleg of their unplugged show and it is magic.

Mentalman

Rolling back the years here, but my favourite always was Iron Maiden - Live After Death.

Metallica - S & M with Michael Kamen Conducting the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra is some feat and brilliant in my opinion.

Alternatively Neil Young  - Live At Massey Hall 1971 is a recent addition to my collection which I really enjoy. Or tangentally linked Pearl Jam - Live On Two Legs.

"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

stpauls

Pearl Jam - Live On Two Legs is a great album, as is the Touring Band 2002 DVD, some great videos of them playing live in some outrageous conditions.

I know I will probably be hounded out for this one, but Status Quo's Live album from the Apollo Theatre, London in the late seventies is a fantastic album, some unreal guitar solos and 2 songs that last more than half an hour between them!! Rock & Roll!

downredblack

Plenty of  the aul " Heavy metal "so far lads .

Bought an Iron Maiden album once on the strength of the Lucozade Add . Not my cup of tea .

westmayo

Isn't Lizzy's live and dangerous not a proper live album and has the crowd noise dubbed onto it

The Neil Young live at Massey Hall is very good, another one I like is the Brian Wilson live version of Pet Sounds.
Then the two Johnny Cash prison albums would be good,
I remember there used to be a little record shop down the keys in Dublin back in 90's where they used to sell bootleg tapes of loads of gigs that took place in Dublin, it was the sort of place it you were at a big gig, you could get a tape of it the next afternoon.

thejuice

Live and Dangerous had some guitar parts re-recorded in the studio to improve on the original recording, but not the audience.

AC/DC : If you want blood (you've got it) is probably the best. Raw Energy
Agree with Led Zeps BBC Sessions, they're fantastic.
AC/DC's Live with BJ on vocals is great too but not as good as IYWBYGI
Havent heard Maidens Live After Death but its meant to be great, ol Brucie giving a great performance I hear.
James Brown at the Apollo is a great performance but lacks his latter day hits.

Didnt like Metallicas S&M. thought it was balls. A better one is the DVD of the Seatle 89 gig on the Live Binge and Purge box set.

VH1 Storey Tellers Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson together is a great live album too.

Oh and how could I forget Eric Clapton:Unplugged
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Mentalman

Quote from: downredblack on November 02, 2007, 12:29:23 PM
Plenty of  the aul " Heavy metal "so far lads .

Bought an Iron Maiden album once on the strength of the Lucozade Add . Not my cup of tea .

Well I suppose your liking any live album is predicated on liking the band really. What I would say is you wouldn't have to like heavy metal to like the Metallica one, the addition of the orchestra is brilliant, songs like Nothing Else Matters are taken to another level. Are they considered heavy metal these days anyway? As they say themselves they've sold out - every stadium on every continent of their tours.

As for Maiden, like I said, a misspent youth. IMHO that was them at thier zenith, which might nt have been that great to start with, but they disappeared up their holes after that.

Pearl Jam Live on Two Legs is just a great snapshot of the body of work of a band I've a lot of respect for personally.

Massey Hall is Young at his best.

screenexile

Here's a list of some of my favourite Live Albums:

Nirvana - Unplugged
The Frames - Set List
Foo Fighters - Skin and Bones
Christy Moore - Live at the Point
Bill Withers - Live at Carnegie Hall
Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong

Mentalman

Quote from: screenexile on November 02, 2007, 12:57:01 PM
Here's a list of some of my favourite Live Albums:

Nirvana - Unplugged
The Frames - Set List
Foo Fighters - Skin and Bones
Christy Moore - Live at the Point
Bill Withers - Live at Carnegie Hall
Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong

Some good calls in there, particularly the first two

behind the wire

Christy Moore Live at the Point is a great live album. my favourite christy album by far. oh it was in the year of 88 in the lovely month of june.......
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

SammyG

Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy
It's Alive - The Ramones
Christy at the Point - Christy Moore
15 and Counting - SLF

And totally agree with the previous comments, the new REM live album isn't much cop at all. I've seen them a few times and have a few bootlegs that are better than the official album.

Puckoon

1. Queen live at wembley 86
2. Christy moore, live at the point 2006
3. Greenday - bullet in a bible.
4. Metallica S&M.