Tommy McGivern RIP - Request for newspaper clip

Started by Tommys son, June 01, 2013, 10:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommys son

Hi everyone, my name is Richard, son of Tommy McGivern, Warrenpoint, Co. Down, who sadly passed away in November last year. My father loved all things GAA. Formally from Mayobridge in Co.Down he was infamous for his goalkeeping prowess, his wise cracks and witty remarks. He briefly played for Down in the late 50's as goalkeeper and just missed out on an All Ireland medal in 1960. He would never miss a Munster Hurling Final and he made friends with all in the GAA, in fact, even Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh attended his wake.

He was involved in a famous incident in Windsor Park in Belfast on Christmas Eve 1965. Portadown Reserves soccer team heard of his athletic abilities and signed 'Tom the cat' for a couple of games as their goalie. On this infamous night a high ball came into my fathers goal mouth where he launched himself high and grabbed the ball firmly out of the sky! But then the applause of the crowd changed to a gasp of disbelief when he forgot the code of the game he was playing and went on a solo run up the middle of Windsor Park! The referee eventully found strength to blow his whistle by the time Daddy got to the half way line.  I suppose there hasn't been too many people can say they did a solo run up Windsor Park?!

This incident made it to the newspapers and it's this story I'd love to find. We had it at home years ago. I seem to remember the headline "No wonder the referee was flabbergasted". But the newspaper clipping has been lost and I would dearly love to find it.  I've had a lot of people looking for it, in particular the press officer for Portadown FC and various people who recalled the incident but to no avail.

My request goes out to you to see if you remember the incident and more importantly do you have this report. We do not know the paper it appeared in or the exact date but any help and direction would be appreciated.  Most, if not all of the newspapers of that time have been looked through but perhaps the write up came later. Who knows. Please keep an eye out for it.

Thank you on Dads behalf.

Richard McGivern

Itchy

Good luck finding it. Unfortunately I am no help to you. I'd say that solo run was a sight worth seeing!

muppet

MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Hi!

Interested to hear that.I reckon your dad would have been sub goalkeeper at Portadown to Frank Connor who played for Glasgow Celtic and was asst manager of Celtic to Lou Macari in the early 90s.

Suggest you contact the Portadown Times,and three names in particular,Victor Gordon,David Armstrong and Brian Courtney.I will be amazed if at least one of these three can't help,as they've been covering Portadown FC for decades.

There was also another paper at the time called the Portadown News,but it has long since gone out of circulation.

Also have you tried Jim Gracey at Belfast Telegraph? The now defunct Ireland's Saturday Night under the late Malcolm Brodie,carried reports on all Irish League reserve games,so Jim could have something in the archives.

Also Billy Kennedy Linfield FC director (brother of Danny and a Bessbrook man) might also be worth contacting.

Tommys son

T Fearon, thank you for those names. I have been in touch with Trevor Clydesdale, press officer for Portadown FC. He has looked through a lot of archives for me and asked around the club. But now that I have those names for the Portadown Times I will make my own contact.

Ireland Saturday Night made a small reference to Dad carrying the ball outside the area but no more than that.

Jim Gracey sounds familiar, I'll contact him again.

Portadown was under the managership of John Fearon at the time and he only played twice before he returned back to his more familiar role......and where he knew the rules a bit better!

I appreciate these names and I will investigate further, thank you for your help.

Richard.

T Fearon

I saw my first Portadown game round about 1966 or 1967,so I just missed him!

As I say I'll be amazed if none of those three at the Times are able to help you.Good luck!

downredblack

I remember my aul fella telling me this when I was a young lad , thanks for the memory .

T Fearon

Back in the 60s by the way I dont know which would have  the greater wrath,soloing up the field towards the Spion Kop or Railway Stand GAA style at Windsor Park or even messing about with a soccer ball on any GAA pitch.

Now camogie teams train at Windsor Park and soccer and rugby features at Croker!

BennyCake

Great solo-run story. Good luck with your search, Richard.

Tonto

Interesting story.  Might be worthwhile posting this on OWC.  If you want I will stick it on there and see if anyone has/ knows anything.

Tommys son

Don't know what OWC is but any help is greatly appreciated  ;)

Tonto

Our Wee Country - a Northern Ireland supporters' forum.

Will see if anyone can help.

Tonto

Don't know whether you have tried it but someone suggested you try a newspaper archive near Castlecourt in Belfast... Might be worth a look?

Tommys son

Taa Daa!!  I found the infamous article!!  :) :)