Your best/worst experiences in the stands

Started by Syferus, May 23, 2012, 01:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Ard-RĂ­ on May 25, 2012, 12:53:11 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 25, 2012, 12:13:46 AM
Worst experience - Playing Monaghan in the championship back in 2008 at Casement, in the bar across the road for a quick drink before the game, as usual few derry ones about, a bus load of monaghan lads early 20`s doing plenty of mouthing, we dont take the queen shilling etc or pay taxes to the queen, same old crap, which got the few derry supporters in the bar myself including quite annoyed that bar staff had to step in,think we were outnumbered 20 to 4, think our standard response at the time was didnt you bunch of cowards leave us behind which got the place fair and lively,as we headed for the exits lol, 4 yrs down the line and they had to take the queens shilling to bale Ireland out, oh the irony!!!

Stop that now, you sound like an Englishman.
Yeah, there's certainly irony in Wildweasal's post!

Declan

Best - Last September being in the Hogan with the young fella when the final whistle went and thinking of the old man and how he would have loved to be there

Being on the Canal End on that same Sat  in 1991 that Hardy says was his best!

cornafean

Quote from: Hardy on May 24, 2012, 08:35:06 PM
Quote from: cornafean on May 24, 2012, 04:26:15 PM

However I can't understand how you can equate scenes like that with post-match crowd celebrations, mistakenly labelled by vested interests as 'pitch invasions'.

I refer you to my answer to Captain Obvious. A pitch "invasion" by definition is uncontrolled.

A pitch "invasion" is indeed uncontrolled. Properly stewarded on-pitch celebrations are not, and are perfectly safe and enjoyable for everyone - for example, this year's All Ireland club final replay and Ulster U21 final.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Hardy

I think we're probably agreeing. There's a bit of a problem of definition OK and a pitch invasion is one thing, while an orderly celebration is another. We've covered the subject at length here before but, briefly, my opinion is that the pitch is for the players and the spectators have no business there, WHILE THE PLAYERS AND OFFICIALS ARE THERE, for reasons including
- respect and protection for the players (see numerous instances of assaults on players after matches, jeering of losing players after AIFs, etc.);
- protection of officials (see Louth Louts v. M Sludden, numerous Tyrone faction fights);
- avoiding the mad gallop down the steps for the gate/fence/style/wall when the whistle goes and woe betide any granny or child who happens to be in the way;
- the simple fact that it's 2012, post Hillsborough era and about the only places you now see people let loose to rampage at will in large crowds are Pamplona and the Haj in Mecca (each of which regularly produce fatalities).

I have no problem with allowing orderly access to the pitch for spectators after the players and officials have left it, as first suggested here by AZOffaly.

cornafean

Quote from: Hardy on May 25, 2012, 11:33:34 AM
I think we're probably agreeing.

I have no problem with allowing orderly access to the pitch for spectators after the players and officials have left it, as first suggested here by AZOffaly.

We are indeed agreeing. There is a world of difference between a real 'pitch invasion' (eg Derrytresk) and joyful on-pitch celebrations. (eg the above)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

rrhf

In a way I understand why some people wouldnt go to concerts, a packed swaying crowd on the field having fun. students drinking too much, drugs, loud noise and portaloos.  Call me a killjoy  but you just grow out of it. Im sticking with Hardy on this one, but I disagree with him on the principles of pitch appreciation*

*you invade countries not pitches.   

thejuice

Best - Ollie Murphy's goal in the last gasp of the 2001 QF. Westmeath were winning by 9 or 10 at half time. One half of the hill threw its hands up in despair, the other in joy and relief.

Worst - Probably Limerick in 2008. Meath fans out numbering Limerick fans by about 100 to 1. And most of them were wee young lads wanting to get out on the field at half time to poc a sliotar about. It was just humiliating.

The other worst, (I can have 2 "worsts") was after Meath beating Mayo in 1996 which was going great watching from the Canal End Tommy Dowd lift Sam, when some ignorant Mayo fan decided to shove me from behind. This was a grown man and I was only 14 at the time. Could have been a serious fall only for my Dad beside me to grab on to.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

rrhf

a terrible incident when on field violence spills over into the stands.

thejuice

indeed, tis a shame that Mayo folks can't keep things civil like the rest of us. We were just trying to play/watch a bit of football.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

seafoid

Best -  Hogan stand 2001 ,the year Athenry AND Crossmolina won the club finals.
Or 2001 seeing Galway destroy Meath

Worst - the 1994 football final when it started raining and most people on the lower deck of the Cusack got soaked
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Best - Lat 5 minutes of the 1994 hurling final. I was on the Hill, and remember being literally on my knees giving praise as Timmy Dooley fired over the insurance scores. Went from ultimate low to ultimate high in seconds.

Worst - Hmm. There's been a few. I'm inclined to nominate the disastrous qualifer trip to Wexford a good few years ago in the football, when Mattie Forde ate us alive, and Wexford paraded the Leinster SH Cup at half time. I wasn't in Tullamore for the capitulation against Down thankfully. I was there, however, for the godawful game versus Westmeath when Offaly attempted to counteract Westmeath's defensive ploy by playing a cunning 3 extra defenders as well!. Ended up like rugby league, and Westmeath deservedly won handy. All in all though, I'm going to plump for that awful day when we truly realised the good days in hurling were gone, and how far behind the top table we had slipped,  and that Kilkenny were truly awesome. 2005, in Croke Park, and a 31 point hiding. At one stage Kilkenny were drawing with the time of day. A good score when you consider it was half 5 in the evening. Cill Ceannaigh 6-28 read the scoreboard in the Canal End, right beside the clock which said 5:31. Unreal hammering. The announcer said there was an early train leaving Heuston for the Offaly fans who wished to catch it.

We've come back a bit since then, but how far I'm not sure. I hate to admit it, but Kilkenny might well give us a similar trimming if they were really up for it.

downredblack

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2012, 04:27:25 PM
Best - Lat 5 minutes of the 1994 hurling final. I was on the Hill, and remember being literally on my knees giving praise as Timmy Dooley fired over the insurance scores. Went from ultimate low to ultimate high in seconds.

Worst - Hmm. There's been a few. I'm inclined to nominate the disastrous qualifer trip to Wexford a good few years ago in the football, when Mattie Forde ate us alive, and Wexford paraded the Leinster SH Cup at half time. I wasn't in Tullamore for the capitulation against Down thankfully. I was there, however, for the godawful game versus Westmeath when Offaly attempted to counteract Westmeath's defensive ploy by playing a cunning 3 extra defenders as well!. Ended up like rugby league, and Westmeath deservedly won handy. All in all though, I'm going to plump for that awful day when we truly realised the good days in hurling were gone, and how far behind the top table we had slipped,  and that Kilkenny were truly awesome. 2005, in Croke Park, and a 31 point hiding. At one stage Kilkenny were drawing with the time of day. A good score when you consider it was half 5 in the evening. Cill Ceannaigh 6-28 read the scoreboard in the Canal End, right beside the clock which said 5:31. Unreal hammering. The announcer said there was an early train leaving Heuston for the Offaly fans who wished to catch it.

We've come back a bit since then, but how far I'm not sure. I hate to admit it, but Kilkenny might well give us a similar trimming if they were really up for it.

When I was reading this thread earlier I thought of that game , after a hammering like that the Offaly fans in the stand that evening were a credit to their county . I even said to a lady on the way out that they surley are the faithful county , see clapped her lads off the pitch . My aul fella had often told us that the  Offaly team and supporters were great people , I left Tullamore thinking the same . Thanks Offaly  :P

FermGael

Worst:  Athletic grounds vs Armagh.  Hollywoods goals.  Was only young but still brings me out in cold sweats.

Best:  O4.  After we beat Armagh.  Unreal.  Never thought I would see it.  The Armagh ones took it very well and congratulated us.  So did the Tyronies as well.  Was nearly as sweet watching Mayo knocking the smile of their faces.   
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: FermGael on May 25, 2012, 11:22:27 PM
Worst:  Athletic grounds vs Armagh.  Hollywoods goals.  Was only young but still brings me out in cold sweats.

Best:  O4.  After we beat Armagh.  Unreal.  Never thought I would see it.  The Armagh ones took it very well and congratulated us.  So did the Tyronies as well.  Was nearly as sweet watching Mayo knocking the smile of their faces.

Haha remember watching the draw on RTE that pulled Mayo V Tyrone. Had been in Croker watching Tyrone hammer Laois if I remember rightly and was in the pub just after. When Tyrone drew Mayo the pub errupted into a cheer as if they had already won, but myself and 2 other mates wearing Mayo t-shirts and 1 in a jersey let out a roar as we were happy with the draw. The Tyronies were shocked that these Mayoman thought as little of Tyrones chances against us as they did of us against them. (I think Dublin and Roscommon might have been playing that day too, if I am not getting confused).
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.