Down v Westmeath

Started by downredblack, February 21, 2007, 08:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downredblack

Might as well kick this off , What do the Westmeath lads think about this one ? I'd say you would be pretty confident going into this one (the way we like it ) .Any Down lads hear anything on the team etc . ? Could someone stick up directions from Newry . The Wobbler did a while a go but I cant find them .

amallon

Its Dundalk, Ardee, Kells and on to Mullingar.  When you come into Mullingar you pass a hospital on your right, you should see fellas parking up around there.  There is an entrance to the pitch through a housing estate on the right if memory serves me right.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

downredblack

Thks. amallon . Are you hearing anything on the team / players back ? What about Mickey Walsh ?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: amallon on February 21, 2007, 08:59:43 AM
There is an entrance to the pitch through a housing estate on the right if memory serves me right.

You're one of very few to know that, it's actually a tunnel under the canal and it emerges right outside Cusack Park, ur guaranteed to miss all the traffic if u can find the housing estate.

Westmeath having been going well this past couple of weeks, few lads to return from injury but their replacements have more than impressed. This needs to continue as we should be looking to win our home games. No point going all the way to Derry and leaving all our form there.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

amallon

Downreadblack - I've heard nothing on the team, Bridgegael or fcukthemet are the men with the inside story.

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Croí na hÉireann

Flanagan out for Westmeath

Martin Flanagan is a notable absentee from the Westmeath team chosen to face Down in Sunday's NFL Division 1B tie at Mullingar.

The Tyrrellspass clubman, who played a starring role at midfield in the Lake County's wins over Laois and Derry, is unavailable as he will be out of the country on a pre-arranged holiday. His place is taken by David Duffy, who made his return from a calf injury in last weekend's Leinster under 21 championship victory over Wexford.

That is the only change from Tomas O Flatharta's side that comfortably accounted for Derry in Celtic Park two weeks ago.

Gary Dolan and James Davitt are still ruled out through injury, but John Keane (knee) and David O'Shaughnessy (Achille's tendon) are fit again and both are listed among the substitutes.

Westmeath (SF v Down): G Connaughton; F Boyle, M Ennis, K Gavin; A Rigney, D O'Donoghue, D Heavin; D Healy, D Duffy; F Wilson, D Dolan, J Smyth; P Bannon, Denis Glennon.

Position missing from that lineup, should be Budda in the corner. Would have liked to have had a look at Jeffrey Farrell from the start. Will be interesting to see how we get on with Flan away and with Healy in midfield. Didn't have much opportunity to do anything two weeks ago whatever he did to himself. Good to see Shaugho and Keane back but shouldn't be rushing them back unless circumstances dictate. Three home games left, have to be looking to win all three starting with this one, one point will do it.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Brick Tamlin

according to Hogan stand website (although how much of this ye could believe im not sure)

The Down team to face high-flying Westmeath in Sunday's NFL Division 1B clash at Mullingar shows two changes from that which drew with Kildare a fortnight ago.

Both changes are in defence and see Martin Cole and Darren Cunningham replace Dan McCartan and Adrian Scullion. Benny Coulter continues at midfield with Dan Gordan positioned on the edge of the square.

Down (SF v Westmeath): B Connell; M Cole, D Cunningham, K McGuigan; R Murtagh, D Rooney, J Clarke; B Coulter, P Turley; J McGovern, A Carr, P Murphy, R Sexton, D Gordan, D Hughes.

downredblack

Going by the program the last day this team could bare little resemblance to the actual team on the day but you never know . Good to see M.Cole back anyway .

AN other

No great surprises with that team. I'd imagine Keane will ultimately take Rigney's position in defence but Davitt could have a tougher task winning his place back from Kieran Gavin if he continues to improve, the defence is beginning to look like it may be a stronger unit than last years outfit which was really quite strong.
Midfield is likely to be a little weaker this week without Flanagan, but I don't mind seeing Duffy get another chance in there.
I too wouldn't mind seeing a few other forwards tried out, possibly in place of Smyth who has never really impressed me much.

downredblack

Anyone see article in IN yet , something M.Walsh being back before the end of the league .

Mourne Rover

Ross and DJ have no option other than to keep trying out at players who even have an outside chance of playing championship football. Darren Cunningham did not look the part against Louth but it is reasonable to give people like him and James McGovern another chance.
The big hope for Down supporters is that Dan Gordon finally starts to produce the form of which we know he is capable. There were plenty of good signs elsewhere against Kildare, and, although Westmeath have been going well,  we are certainly not making the journey without hope. We could certainly do with at least a point if we are to stay out of division three next season.

Dubh driocht

Think you are over-optimistic Rover.I thought Scullion tightened up the defence well against Kildare while Cunningham was off the pace in Drogheda.Dan is unlikely to regain his true form in 2 weeks and I think we will struggle, even if they are without Flanagan. Are you going yourself ?

Mourne Rover

Negotiations are continuing on the key issue which you raise, DD. You are obviously correct to suggest that Scullion looks a far better bet than Cunningham, but we don't have enough quality defenders to dismiss new recruits on the basis of a single, admittedly dodgy, performance.

Dubh driocht

Rover, for a man who has a lot of opinions, your support for the lads appears patchy at best. I suppose you will be in with the fat cats at Croke, enjoying your pizza in the corporate section, singing GSTQ? ;)

Mourne Rover

I take it you are no relation to the Dubh Driocht who is always banging on in the non-GAA section about Liverpool FC. I may indeed be eating pizza on Saturday night, but it will be in front of my television at home. If I am to get to Westmeath on Sunday, I will have to outwit a much more difficult opponent than Darren Cunningham but I will keep you posted on my progress.