Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

I lost the big toenail bout three months ago. Thi.k it was from using the wrong footwer at the stsrt of my running. Wasn't and isn't sore.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

ballinaman

Asal: Some people do loose toenails but as bridgegael said it's wrong footwear. Good luck all gaaboarders running tomorrow. Looks like it'll be windy which is a balls but keep, head down and slipstream people as much as you can.

Great call on going to expo early bingo, picked up some great deals. Did you taste the protein ice cream? Unreal... Speaking of unreal...the blonde bird at the skins stand wearing the gear..sweet jesus, I nearly fell over.

JimStynes

12 mile and an ice bath all before 8 o'clock this morning. Would love to have done dublin but couldn't get off work. Anyone ever ran paris?

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on October 27, 2013, 08:37:21 AM
Asal: Some people do loose toenails but as bridgegael said it's wrong footwear. Good luck all gaaboarders running tomorrow. Looks like it'll be windy which is a balls but keep, head down and slipstream people as much as you can.

Great call on going to expo early bingo, picked up some great deals. Did you taste the protein ice cream? Unreal... Speaking of unreal...the blonde bird at the skins stand wearing the gear..sweet jesus, I nearly fell over.

I see alright! Sweet lord. Was another one for Runways in tight gear handing out flyers, blind as well. Painted into the gear!! The Munchean marathon stand was also worth visiting!!

Picked up a few bits myself, good value all right!

It looks like the rain is not going to be as bad but it will be windy alright. Might hang round the pacer group for some shelter. At least it not the wide open spaces of Connemara!

Cheers lads, as the Blayney Rockets say "eyeballs out"

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on October 27, 2013, 10:13:58 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 27, 2013, 08:37:21 AM

I see alright! Sweet lord. Was another one for Runways in tight gear handing out flyers, blind as well. Painted into the gear!! The Munchean marathon stand was also worth visiting!!

Picked up a few bits myself, good value all right!

It looks like the rain is not going to be as bad but it will be windy alright. Might hang round the pacer group for some shelter. At least it not the wide open spaces of Connemara!

Cheers lads, as the Blayney Rockets say "eyeballs out"
Aye, saw her too...pretty sure she eye f**ked the shit out of me as Owen Wilson would say......probably part of the job description I'd say!!

Don't think the wind will be as bad as today. Did a 10 there along the coast by Clontarf towards Howth and it was pretty bad against it, giving it 15 m/s on the weather app and between 6am - 12pm is down as 8 m/s so it'll be much better...and as you said, no really exposed places on the course!

Anybody that does a bit of running will enjoy this, came across it this morning. Funny enough...

The terrible and wonderful reasons why I run long distances

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

laoislad

FFS SAKE LADS RULE 1!!!!!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gallsman

Quote from: ballinaman on October 27, 2013, 11:39:09 AM
Aye, saw her too...pretty sure she eye f**ked the shit out of me as Owen Wilson would say......probably part of the job description I'd say!!

Do you come with the car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW8j3x3GzxY

Good luck lads.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 18, 2013, 04:30:16 AM
Lads, I'm new to the running game, and probably coming from a similar position as Bingo was 2 years ago (5'9, carrying a gut, etc etc).

Have been training towards doing a 20km obstacle course at the end of Oct - doing boot camp and gym sessions 4-6 times a week as well as going for runs. Was upping the distance run, but hit a snag at the start of August.

Did a 9km obstacle course, ended up getting fairly wet and cold and was standing around for a while afterward. Got a bad chesty cold from it, and wasn't great. Problem is, I had arranged to do a 12km run the following weekend, and through stubbornness though I could push through it. Managed the 12k in a below average time, but was absolutely fecked after.

Long story short, only getting back to training now - did a 5km last night after work which went OK, though I don't know how much more I could do. Planning on doing 3 x 5km runs/week in the morning and core & upper body training after work 3 times / week with a longer run at the weekends.

Am I dreaming if I'm still planning the 20k in <6 weeks time?

I'm a plodder, and always feel knackered after a couple of kms but can keep going at a steady pace (about 5:30/km). Can't seem to up this at all. Maybe its related to my breathing. I can't breathe through my nose when I'm running as I broke it years ago, so I puff and blow quite a bit

So, 6 weeks ago I wasn't in a great place preparing for my 20km 'run' (was actually a Tough Mudder, as lfcsouthdown did a couple of weeks ago) and the preparation hadn't got any better in the mean time.
Had to head home for an unexpected 2 week trip - this ended up as 2 weeks of eating / drinking and about 4 weeks of no training. Was planning to pull out of the event, but my mate was doing it for his 40th and I didnt want to disappoint.

Anyway, I arrived back from Ireland on the Saturday night before the event the following weekend. Did a boot camp at the local gym Tusday, and went out for a run on Wed evening. Managed 9.5km in 50mins which is good for me.

Did the Tough Mudder yesterday - serious fun, but the heat really got to me. It was 29 degrees and not a lot of shade on the course - water obstacles were welcome.

Managed to complete the course in 2h32mins (website said avg times were 3:15-3:45, but I imagine that's an over estimate.
Not too sore today, except for a monster blister on my right arch - actually got the blister on the previous Wednesday so it got real big yesterday. Had to cut it back to clean it out last night which was no fun at all.

Would seriously recommend the event

http://toughmudder.com.au/
Hasta la victoria siempre

downredblack

I was complaining to a mate of mine that my knees are shot to bits, he put me onto Glucosamine Sulphate , been taking them for about a month now and I have seen improvement , hopefully they continue to improve . Just passing it on here , might work for some of you .

southdown

I have found that using a foam roller has really helped my knees for tight IT bands

imtommygunn

Looks like a local winner this year in either Joe Sweeney or Sean Hehir(probably the former). Be good to see an Irish guy winning dublin again as I'm sure it's been a while.

orangeman

Louise Hogan and Cliona Foley– 28 October 2013

THE first Irish man to win the Airtricity Dublin Marathon in 20 years immediately hugged his delighted family waiting at the finishing line.

Primary school teacher Sean Hehir (28), from Kilkishen, Co Clare, landed the race in 2:18:19 on a cold St Jude's day, holding off the advances of 6ft 2in Joe Sweeney who finished in his wake.

Sean's mother Cushla Murphy-Hehir told how she had not been able to sleep the night before the race due to her nerves.

Her son was taken to the elite massage tent to try and recover from the gruelling 26.2 miles trek across the city.

"He has trained very very hard," said the proud mother, who was also a runner alongside John Treacy in the '80s.

"He has trained twice a day - 6.30am and 6.30pm. He did altitude for three weeks in the summer. This is his second ever marathon he was second of the Irish last year," said Mrs Murphy-Hehir.

The Dublin-based primary schoolteacher won after a fantastic two-man tussle with Dundrum South Dublin's Joe Sweeney.

The two slogged it out in a fascinating duel for most of the race.They went through half-way together  in 68 minutes and 25 seconds, which left them headed for a sub-2:18 run but the second half took its toll on both of them.

They've been side-by-side for the first half of the race but, at mile 14 debutant Sweeney looked the stronger when he made a decisive move to open up a quick nine second-gap by throwing in a quick 5.08 mile.

But Hehir caught up with him and made his own big move in the 20th mile through Clonskeagh, pulling clear going up Milltown Hill and never looking back.

Participants at the start of the Airtricity Dublin Marathon 2013
It was still  a great marathon debut for Sweeney, who finished less than a minute adrift in 2:19.26 and long-time Irish resident and Moldovan international Sergio Ciobanu (Clonliffe) was third in 2:22:02.

Sweeney's DSD clubmate Maria McCambridge was the big women's pre-race favourite and led through half-way in 79 minutes and 25 seconds but Cork's Claire McCarthy-Gibbons (Leevale) overtook her in the 18th mile and the two women had a fantastic tussle over the final six miles.

Defending Irish champion McCambridge somehow managed to battle back and retained her title in 2:38.51, with McCarthy second  in 2:39.27 and Tullamore Olympian Pauline Curley was third in 2:42.58.

Earlier,hopes were high that an Irish runner might be first person past the finishing post at Merrion Square North for the first time in 20-years.

Earlier this year, in the absence of a headline sponsor, Dublin organisers were forced to cut the elite race fund, which meant the usual invitations were not issued to some of the East African runners who have dominated in recent years.

Race organiser Jim Aughney revealed people had still travelled from far and wide to take  part in the race, with runners from 47 countries taking part.

Mr Aughney told how the popular race had attracted around 2,000 from the UK, around 500 from the US and a group of 12 over for the first time from the Philippines.

In addition, he told how hundreds of thousands of euro would be raised for their two chosen charities Temple Street and Focus Ireland, with many other runners picking their own personal worthy causes.

"We were sweating for the last couple of days," he said, adding it had been a "serious" day as they tried to erect the marques and signs.

More than 10,000 Irish people took part in the 26.2 mile race and a further 4,000 representing around 47 different nationalities travelled to the country.

Welsh National Champion Alun Evans was the only elite international male runner to participate.

Members of An Garda Siochana and the Police Service of Northern Ireland joined forces for the fifth year running and took part under the Garda Athletics Club vest.

The officers, who raised funds for different causes close to them, were cheered on by the Garda Band and the Assistant Commissioner for the Dublin Metropolitan Region.

ballinaman

Inspirational stuff watching the marathon there today.

Some idiot on a bike clipped Sean Hehir at corner of merion shopping centre and St Vincents Hospital. Could have taken him out of the race. Couldn't believe it, I gave him an awful bollocking. Totally oblivious.

Looking forward to reading race reports from lads who did it.

imtommygunn

No harm to the guys that come over but I think it's far better to see a local winner of these races and I'd love to see the same in Belfast.

It's fine in places like London etc where they get the best in the world and world records are threatened but when you're paying guys to come over and they're running 2:10+ then in international terms they're not great and I have never seen the point.