Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Questionable refereeing? Mark is one of our best referees and wouldn't shrink from handing out a red card... Referees don't lose game or win them. They may make the odd mistake but don't do it on purpose just like when a player picks the wrong shot/pass selection or gives away scoreable frees... As already stated... Best team won and that's that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jesusjones

MR2 its wonderful that you have the ability to judge incidents from a game you didn't attend. At no stage did I suggest the referee cost us the game and I stated the best team won on the day and congratulations too them. I did however suggest that some of his decisions were questionable. He is one of "our best referees?" Really? Says who? Survey of GAA people at games? Secret ballot among club members throughout the county? Ex referees on the refs committee? Or simply your opinion? Maybe as the spokesperson for the referees union you can clear up my previous question, which you completely failed to address, regarding striking an opponent the umpire witnessing the incident informing the referee and yet only a yellow card is produced?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jesusjones on June 22, 2015, 08:42:01 AM
MR2 its wonderful that you have the ability to judge incidents from a game you didn't attend. At no stage did I suggest the referee cost us the game and I stated the best team won on the day and congratulations too them. I did however suggest that some of his decisions were questionable. He is one of "our best referees?" Really? Says who? Survey of GAA people at games? Secret ballot among club members throughout the county? Ex referees on the refs committee? Or simply your opinion? Maybe as the spokesperson for the referees union you can clear up my previous question, which you completely failed to address, regarding striking an opponent the umpire witnessing the incident informing the referee and yet only a yellow card is produced?

don't be daft now, this is going on form and from watching as a player/manager and fellow referee that I've seen Mark referee games well... we all judge our players on how good they are... Graffin is one of your best players how did i come up with that judgement? do I have to watch all his games to know that? Like I already said we don't get every decision correct nor does every manager or player.

We've all walked away from games wondering could I have done better, it is what it is
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jesusjones

Referees don't get every decision correct, that would be virtually impossible. That is why you have linesmen and umpires to assist. Now maybe you'll actually address my question MR2. Striking an opponent, off the ball, witnessed by an umpire, referee informed, only produces a yellow card? Whats the story? "Mark is a great fella, good referee, seen him referee before, can't always be right........"

reddog

Quote from: Sleeping giant on June 21, 2015, 11:40:08 PM
Id say he's more of an ejit than anything else.  Away and catch yourself on. He's a sc**bag in my book for saying what he said.  No place for it in any sport. And if you wanna try and take away from it or stand up for what WAS said.  Your not far behind.
Hold on. I am not defending what was said. I am
Defending the person as you have wrongly judged him without knowing him. I dare say we have all had a club mate who has done something wrong but you know it's out of character . If mick has said this it's wrong but it is out of character. Does his mum and dad need to see this. He's a good lad who hurling means everything . Also there is innocent until proven guilty. I am guessing there has been a campaign of retaliation and abuse last night on social media as his a account has been deleted. We all know how dangerous this can be. It makes people no better . I'm not a naomh eoin man

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jesusjones on June 22, 2015, 08:54:57 AM
Referees don't get every decision correct, that would be virtually impossible. That is why you have linesmen and umpires to assist. Now maybe you'll actually address my question MR2. Striking an opponent, off the ball, witnessed by an umpire, referee informed, only produces a yellow card? Whats the story? "Mark is a great fella, good referee, seen him referee before, can't always be right........"

If you heard his umpire say that he struck him then fine, if the umpire said there was a bitta rough play then he judged it to be a yellow... you didn't hear what was said in fairness, bit like the other incident which if said is terrible.. If Mark seen a off the ball strike then he'd have sent him off for sure, of that I'm certain

btdtgtt

I was not at the game but:

How can it be rough play if it was off the ball MR2?
I think in instances like this the yellow card is often a cop out - albeit one which suits players and officials alike. But to follow the rules, IF you strike someone off the ball - red card.

I heard the comments made, a St John's man informed me. Sickening, disgusting and I don't know what would ever possess someone. I'm not sure how it could ever be proven so that's a red herring - but if we're concerned about a backlash then the best possible route is for a guilty party to own up and apologise. That's the starting point - St John's and the guy in question should be more concerned about this than anything else.

reddog

You miss the point lads, I am not saying he didn't do it , what I am saying is that I know the person. He is a good fella , dedicated to his sport, is there for friends. It's out of character and if an apology is to be made it's to the person not public for you to judge. Leave him alone

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on June 22, 2015, 09:46:00 AM
I was not at the game but:

How can it be rough play if it was off the ball MR2?
I think in instances like this the yellow card is often a cop out - albeit one which suits players and officials alike. But to follow the rules, IF you strike someone off the ball - red card.

I heard the comments made, a St John's man informed me. Sickening, disgusting and I don't know what would ever possess someone. I'm not sure how it could ever be proven so that's a red herring - but if we're concerned about a backlash then the best possible route is for a guilty party to own up and apologise. That's the starting point - St John's and the guy in question should be more concerned about this than anything else.

I never seen it either but when subs come on they usually get into a jostling sort of shit, I'm a bigger man than you macho crap... It's always a red card when someone strikes someone all day long or even attempts to strike someone, those are the rules.. as for the umpire calling in Mark then he would have to state he struck him with intent, its all guess work though as you don't know what the umpire seen or said, would that be fair enough?

btdtgtt

Yeah I agree. A strike is a red -no question.
As for the subs barging as usual - personally I think Ref's (and umpires) should ignore this! It'll settle straight away and isn't worthy of stopping the game for a harsh yellow!

That's in general - we'll leave the call in this match to those who saw it!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 20, 2015, 05:21:43 PM
Should be a tight game tonight between the old enemies. We don't have a full squad to travel over so a great chance for the young fellas to show what they've got. Nice geansaí dunloy realist.  ;D

ahh ffs i take it you seen me on the gate then on sat night  ;D

i have to be honest it was a poor enough game. Loughgiel were away ahead of us the whole game and i dont think we ever looked like winning it.  would love to know how many frees were awarded in the game because it just seemed to stop and start all the time. This advantage rule is a pain in the hole.
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on June 22, 2015, 12:43:51 PM
Should be a tight game tonight between the old enemies. We don't have a full squad to travel over so a great chance for the young fellas to show what they've got. Nice geansaí dunloy realist.  ;D

i have to be honest it was a poor enough game. Loughgiel were away ahead of us the whole game and i dont think we ever looked like winning it.  would love to know how many frees were awarded in the game because it just seemed to stop and start all the time. This advantage rule is a pain in the hole.

It does not help when added to an overly picky referee for that game. We are killing the game for the players and spectators, no flow or rhythm to the games at all.

doodaa

Quote from: reddog on June 22, 2015, 08:58:06 AM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on June 21, 2015, 11:40:08 PM
Id say he's more of an ejit than anything else.  Away and catch yourself on. He's a sc**bag in my book for saying what he said.  No place for it in any sport. And if you wanna try and take away from it or stand up for what WAS said.  Your not far behind.
Hold on. I am not defending what was said. I am
Defending the person as you have wrongly judged him without knowing him. I dare say we have all had a club mate who has done something wrong but you know it's out of character . If mick has said this it's wrong but it is out of character. Does his mum and dad need to see this. He's a good lad who hurling means everything . Also there is innocent until proven guilty. I am guessing there has been a campaign of retaliation and abuse last night on social media as his a account has been deleted. We all know how dangerous this can be. It makes people no better . I'm not a naomh eoin man

Perhaps the accused should have thought about the bit in bold before saying what he has reportedly said?
And also spared a thought for the impact it would have on the fella he said it to.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on June 22, 2015, 12:52:26 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on June 22, 2015, 12:43:51 PM

It does not help when added to an overly picky referee for that game. We are killing the game for the players and spectators, no flow or rhythm to the games at all.

Jury is out on the advantage rule for me.... first game this year last night and to be fair its a little confusing, maybe I was a little rusty  but its very hard to please player/spectators and management in calling it.... I always (still do) shout play on when players 'think' there is a foul and some were thinking that means advantage !

As for letting it flow! is that when Galvin referee's a game and the rules go out the window? its brilliant as a fan watching those games with those teams going full on... generally though they don't lose the bap and start a fight or pull wildly on the man, which is normally the case once you 'let it flow' in Antrim.. Once our antrim lads man up during the game and move on to the 'next ball' then maybe we can let it flow

Dualta Duane

innocent until proven guilty but no smoke without fire as my granny would have said.
It'll be an interesting encounter when these two teams meet again in snr hurling league on Sunday (fixtures have them down to play eachother) An all ticket event!!!
I remember in the 90's and 00's a certain Rossa player getting sledged for years everytime he played against St Johns about family members. Stuff was said that should never have been said and it happened time and time again. Not a thing ever done about. No need for it but not surprised it's happening. a little bit of hype about at national football level this year so it's on people's minds and you'll find a couple of smart @rses thinking that they gain an advantage by resorting to it.
On the issue of the referee - he's been very consistent in the games i've seen him ref this year and agree with MR2 (as a spectator and consumer of our games) he's one of the best we've got at the minute.