Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: heffo on October 17, 2016, 10:36:57 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 17, 2016, 10:35:45 AM
If the money makes no difference, then give it back, and let someone else have it.

I assume you're referring to the Mayo management team?
Heffo, me oul' segotia, from one incorrigible bullshitter to another, maybe I offer you a bit of advice?
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

It would be hard to give back the money spent on Mayo's management team as it as comes in from all parts of the world, wherever there are exiles from Mayo. I can tell you something- it's not coming from the Central Council and that's for sure.
Dublin with 29% of the population gets almost half the development grants and that leaves Mayo and every other county in the land sucking the hind tit.
Besides, with a population greater than a total of 15 other counties, it wouldn't be hard to pick up enough to pay the costs of one single panel and even the income of the full player squad, would it? ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mup

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 17, 2016, 09:26:01 AM
Your right Indiana, no point debating with ignorance and 31 county bias. Best to just ignore.

I wonder how many of this board have done something to assist their own county rather than spouting on boards with BS.

You are not too bad at spouting the old bs yourself.

Still waiting for figures on what McGeeney was paid in Kildare. Its ok to be wrong ya know.

The Aristocrat

Again nobody had a problem with it when Dublin weren't winning, it seems success brings out the worst in opposition fans, Tyrone and Kerry go it in the noughties too.

Anyway, All Ireland champions again, Nothing will ever take away from the enjoyment of all Irelands in 6 years, nothing.

Quote from: mup on October 17, 2016, 01:57:39 PM
Your right Indiana, no point debating with ignorance and 31 county bias. Best to just ignore.

I wonder how many of this board have done something to assist their own county rather than spouting on boards with BS.

Still waiting for figures on what McGeeney was paid in Kildare. Its ok to be wrong ya know.

How bout you prove im wrong.

AZOffaly

Tyrone and Kerry got what in the noughties? They didn't get 1.4m annually for coaching and games development.

Again, I don't blame Dublin at all. But to say that the money is irrelevant is very insulting. If it is irrelevant, then a) Dublin are making a hames of using it and b) They should give it back.

mup

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 17, 2016, 02:06:31 PM
Again nobody had a problem with it when Dublin weren't winning, it seems success brings out the worst in opposition fans, Tyrone and Kerry go it in the noughties too.

Anyway, All Ireland champions again, Nothing will ever take away from the enjoyment of all Irelands in 6 years, nothing.

Quote from: mup on October 17, 2016, 01:57:39 PM

How bout you prove im wrong.

You made the statement that he was. I asked you to prove it. Yet again you are fudging.

You are making yourself look silly now. Just admit you don't have the figures and we'll move on.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 17, 2016, 02:06:31 PM

You are easily pleased my good man and not a bit embarrassed at all the advantages you have over all other counties by the looks of it.

Now, I know lads on four legs who could get this far faster than yer average Dub but I'll try anyway...

What is so special about the following list?
Offaly, Mayo, Louth, Waterford, Westmeath, Laois, Cavan, Sligo, Longford, Roscommon, Monaghan, Carlow, Leitrim, Clare and Wicklow.
Dublin has more people than the 15 of them put together and yet you and your buddies think there is nothing special that makes Dublin different to the all  of them. ;D ;D

Buttofthehill

Lar, leaving the money issue aside, what is your problem with Dublin's population? I would imagine what others are trying to say is its not Dublin's fault more people are living there than Clare, Carlow etc. Wasn't it always this way?

I don't know about the money issue - I don't care what McGeeney, Mayo Backroom team, Micko etc were on and I don't know the intricate details of GPOs etc in Dublin but I don't get the issue of Dublin's population.

AZOffaly

I don't have a problem with Dublin's population. It was ever thus, and that was part of the craic playing them. The big city against the culchies. That's called an inherent advantage, and I don't have problem with it.

The Aristocrat

Gentlemen, gentlemen , Gentlemen. You will never learn.

I will come back here when somebody gets the books opened from each of the 32 county boards over the last 30 years so we can analyse them.

Also, just want to highlight PortLaois lost for the first time in 10 years in the Laois Senior football championship. They had more population and money Id imagine than the rest of the teams in Laois but being the major town in Laois they always had the resources.

Enjoy the winter. Mine will be short and enjoyable watching reruns of the All Ireland run.  ;)

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Buttofthehill on October 17, 2016, 03:45:58 PM
Lar, leaving the money issue aside, what is your problem with Dublin's population? I would imagine what others are trying to say is its not Dublin's fault more people are living there than Clare, Carlow etc. Wasn't it always this way?

I don't know about the money issue - I don't care what McGeeney, Mayo Backroom team, Micko etc were on and I don't know the intricate details of GPOs etc in Dublin but I don't get the issue of Dublin's population.
That's fair enough. Dublin has always had more people than any other county and it has always been that way. But having a disproportionately large percentage of the population gives Dublin a massive head start over all opposition.
Greater and better facilities available, larger player pool to select from and more lucrative sponsorship deals with any company that is interested. You can add in the fact that the vast majority of players will find employment or attend college somewhere in their own vicinity.
Darran O'Sullivan spoke of the five hour commute, four or five times a week, to and from training; no Dublin players has that sort of obstacle to face.
Really, the size of the population means an awful lot in many ways.
Leitrim will never challenge for AI honours and neither will at least 20 more counties- they don't have the population; ergo, they don't have the same resources.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 17, 2016, 04:16:13 PM
Gentlemen, gentlemen , Gentlemen. You will never learn.

I will come back here when somebody gets the books opened from each of the 32 county boards over the last 30 years so we can analyse them.

Also, just want to highlight PortLaois lost for the first time in 10 years in the Laois Senior football championship. They had more population and money Id imagine than the rest of the teams in Laois but being the major town in Laois they always had the resources.

Enjoy the winter. Mine will be short and enjoyable watching reruns of the All Ireland run.  ;)
H, feck it, I promised myself I'd lay off the craic for a while but this one is too good to ignore... :D :D
"PortLaoise lost for the first time in 10 years in the Laois Senior football championship. They had more population and money Id imagine than the rest of the teams in Laois but being the major town in Laois they always had the resources."
Dunno what point you were attempting to make but you don't seem to realise that you are arguing against your own cause.
Portlaoise won 9 championships on the trot because they had a bigger  population and more money than all the other teams in Laois combined.
Like you say, they always had the resources to do so.

Just substitute Dublin for Laois and, say, the Leinster championship  for the Laois one and tell me what you think.

Buttofthehill

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 17, 2016, 05:35:53 PM
Quote from: Buttofthehill on October 17, 2016, 03:45:58 PM

That's fair enough. Dublin has always had more people than any other county and it has always been that way. But having a disproportionately large percentage of the population gives Dublin a massive head start over all opposition.
Greater and better facilities available, larger player pool to select from and more lucrative sponsorship deals with any company that is interested. You can add in the fact that the vast majority of players will find employment or attend college somewhere in their own vicinity.
Darran O'Sullivan spoke of the five hour commute, four or five times a week, to and from training; no Dublin players has that sort of obstacle to face.
Really, the size of the population means an awful lot in many ways.
Leitrim will never challenge for AI honours and neither will at least 20 more counties- they don't have the population; ergo, they don't have the same resources.

But your issue is more with the geographical / economic make-up of the country than with the Dublin football team?

Zulu

This is an issue that has normally good posters making silly arguments. The GAA model is inherently unfair and always was. Waterford or Clare were never in a fair battle with Kerry nor Leitrim and Sligo with Mayo. Some counties always had bigger populations and more money, so what's changed that Dublin are so different? It seems to me that some of the big boys are simply complaining because they now face what the majority of us always faced. competing with a bigger badder dog.

The only, absolutely only, issue is whether the GAA are allocating money (centrally controlled money that could be spent however they wanted) disproportionally to Dublin when some of it might be better spent elsewhere. This isn't only a matter of taking it off Dublin and giving it to Offaly or Leitrim for example. No point in not letting Dublin keep it if other counties are going to waste it. Likewise we shouldn't give Dublin central funds for things they can fund themselves if we have good plans that need funding in other counties.

Dublin enjoy inherent advantages over us all but that's just the way it is, the same way Mayo enjoy advantages over most of their provincial rivals. We can't or shouldn't try to change that unless we want to fundamentally change the IC game. The only issue is the use of central funds and while Dublin may have been getting a big slice of that pie they have used it well so I've no issue with that. Now if some other counties could use some more of that money and can show how it will be used effectively then of course it should be considered.

All the other arguments are just piss and bluster IMO.

muppet

Complaining about the population of Dublin is like complaining about the rain. You might find people who agree with you, but there is f*ck all anyone can do about it.
MWWSI 2017

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 17, 2016, 04:16:13 PM

Not quite...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/penniless-portlaoise-can-point-to-riches-on-pitch-251908.html
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?