Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

If there is one county the length and breadth of Ireland that are predictably surprising it is ourselves. It gives us our swagger.

Therefore coming on here saying that Down would be a surprise is a waste of fingernails.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: whitegoodman on July 30, 2018, 09:15:02 AM
So you reckon we wont be in with a shout of promotion to division 2 next year ?  By all accounts we were one result away from staying in Div 2 this year so 20th - 30th would be as much of an exaggeration as top 8.

Yep.

I'd be surprised if we got promoted.

Indeed, I'd be less surprised if we got relegated again.

For those saying it couldn't happen - Derry are now in Division 4. For all the strength of their club game, their county seniors are trading on past glories.
i usse an speelchekor

OgraAnDun

I wouldn't be surprised with either a promotion or a relegation. We're clearly not in the top bracket and a couple of decent wins last year (after scraping a draw with Cork to stay in D2) do not cover up how pathetic 2018 and 2016 (and most of 2017) were, but with a bit of luck, a good management team in place and buy in from the players, there's no reason that we can't be competing towards the top of the group outside the top 6.

whitegoodman

All depends on who the management team is.  The players are there to get out of Div 3.

johnnycool

Quote from: hardstation on July 30, 2018, 03:06:55 PM
Looking to next year. It is very unlikely that Down will make the last 8.
Roscommon have a chance. The provincial system may suit them but they are also better than Down.

Is that you Gearoid??  ;D

whitegoodman

If you were aware of how poorly the leaving management team were thought of both by the supporters and by the players themselves then you would probably agree that there is more potential than they are showing.  There was a raft of players that left the panel during their tenure which doesn't reflect well on them either.  The simple fact was that they should never have the job in the first place and were way out of his depth from the start.

Of course the players would need to look at themselves as well but the fact that they achieved results against Armagh and Monaghan last year tells me there is more in them than the majority of the performances in the last 3 years suggest.  It would be my opinion that the players there are at least middle of the road Div 2 players and with a proper structure and motivation even further up.

downjim

Wobbler-Are you doing a club championship preview this year?

thewobbler

Quote from: downjim on August 01, 2018, 03:49:19 PM
Wobbler-Are you doing a club championship preview this year?

It's a long time from I done one of those Jim.

The thing I want to see from SFC this year is 6-8 teams believing they can win, and genuinely willing themselves towards, the Frank O'Hare. It is so long since it was a competitive competition that most clubs - even if they make noises otherwise - just haven't the culture needed to see off Kilcoo.

We need our every last club to turn every match against them into a fight to the death, to see where the chinks in their armour lie, and then bite, bark and frustrate them to the final whistle. For the likes of Burren, Mayobridge and Bryansford, this means a few of the more individual types taking one for the team and playing the role needed rather than the role wanted.

This isn't anti-Kilcoo by the way. I've nothing but respect for themmuns. But our county needs a competitive championship, and if Kilcoo manage to get trough one of those, they'll be more ripe for Ulster.

downjim

I think Kilcoo are vulnerable but they have the winning mentality which is worth at least 3 points to them. But I was impressed at how our younger players coped last Thursday night under pressure.
If they win Down they would have a great chance to win Ulster with the shenanigans at Slaughtneil at present.
Big game for Clonduff tonight with their recent form being poor.

Kingpins

Kilcoo have been hugely successful in down over the last decade and for a small area, really you have to congratulate them and tip your hat to them but lets be honest they were never good enough to capture that ulster title and what was even far more dissapointing was the manner and personality they shown to gaels outside our county. For me thats the bigger reason why our county clubs needs to topple them, at end of the day its a sport with no place for the racism allegations, the sickening verbals to opposing teams, the eye gouging and to bring things to a new low it was shameful to watch one of their own push a woman to the ground last week in full view of public and children!! Yes unfortunately that is how our county club football scene is represented and portrayed to those outside the county.. for me ultimately  that is the most dissapointing thing to sit alongside the fact that while dominating down they were unable to display any silverware or class in ulster!!

Smurfy123

Clonduff 1-10 14 Castlewellan
Bryansford 11 6 Ballyholland

Big result for Castlewellan tonight they are coming into a bit of form at the right time. Another poor result for Clonduff. Ballyholland on the slide too.

befair

Relegation battle is shaping up nicely; Rostrevor/Ballyholland in a slump, Castlewellan recovering

elk

Quote from: befair on August 02, 2018, 12:37:34 AM
Relegation battle is shaping up nicely; Rostrevor/Ballyholland in a slump, Castlewellan recovering
I think Downpatrick should be more worried than Rostrevor or Ballyholland. Some big games to come between the bottom teams over the next month.

Smurfy123

I would be slightly concerned if I was Ballyholland coming into the championship. Yes they have a handy draw but they just don't score enough to beat anyone decent. Only Clanna Banna Dromara Mitchels and ballykinlar have score less in all divisions and the last 3 have played 5 less matches.

downjim

9 goals in 17 games is a poor return especially when their main forward in over 35 and plays as a lone striker.
Carryduff will certainly be no walk over