Sligo are the CONNAGHT CHAMPIONS 2007

Started by SLIGONIAN, July 09, 2007, 11:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwan-ye-boy-ya

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 11, 2007, 02:15:28 AM
Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on July 11, 2007, 02:06:21 AM
Next time you Sligomen are driving home from Hyde Park (maybe after reclaiming the Nestor Cup next year) drive through Ballagh and go home via the Charlestown Road. You'll see a sign "Welcome to Mayo" about six miles outside Ballaghaderren, just before you enter the village of Carracastle.
That's the route the team took on the way home with Nestor FWIW. Indeed five/six miles inside Ros it is, never realised how far away it was from Mayo until last year, makes no sense at all.

Makes perfect sense, the town was moved out of Mayo against the will of the people just to save some tax for a rich landlord. The club was one of the founding members of the Mayo GAA, however I do think there should be two clubs in the town, one alligened to Mayo & the other to Roscommon, then it would let but sides of that passionate divide in Ballagh play for the County they feal they are part of. The Mayo pople of Ballagh can allign with Mayo the Rossies with Roscommon.

Pietas

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 11, 2007, 10:32:23 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 11, 2007, 02:15:28 AM
Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on July 11, 2007, 02:06:21 AM
Next time you Sligomen are driving home from Hyde Park (maybe after reclaiming the Nestor Cup next year) drive through Ballagh and go home via the Charlestown Road. You'll see a sign "Welcome to Mayo" about six miles outside Ballaghaderren, just before you enter the village of Carracastle.
That's the route the team took on the way home with Nestor FWIW. Indeed five/six miles inside Ros it is, never realised how far away it was from Mayo until last year, makes no sense at all.

Makes perfect sense, the town was moved out of Mayo against the will of the people just to save some tax for a rich landlord. The club was one of the founding members of the Mayo GAA, however I do think there should be two clubs in the town, one alligened to Mayo & the other to Roscommon, then it would let but sides of that passionate divide in Ballagh play for the County they feal they are part of. The Mayo pople of Ballagh can allign with Mayo the Rossies with Roscommon.

Let's not get into all this again.  Congrats to Sligo.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

furboot

Message from Sideline...
Last Sundays match will be available on DVD for anyone who missed it or would like a copy for future enjoyment.
RTE / the GAA and Sideline www.sideline.ie (who release GAA matches under licence from the GAA) have been inundated with requests for copies of the match since last Sunday - many requests coming from Sligo people overseas.
So much so that we decided to release it - it should be available this weekend.
It will be on sale online at www.dvdsales.ie and we are talking to some local Sligo shops who have declared an interest in stocking it. More info on it's availablity will be updated on www.sideline.ie over next few days.

This is not a blatent plug - just that we keep being asked and this forum might help to inform.

PS. well done Sligo on a great win (and I'm speaking as a Mayo man)

Armaghtothebone

Sincere congrats to Sligo. Delighted for all of you. :) :)

ExiledGael

Delighted for Sligo as well, great to see and fully deserved.
Great to see the provincial title meaning so much, only ourselves (Fermanagh) and Wicklow have never tasted it, but Jesus it looks good

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 11, 2007, 09:17:33 PM
Delighted for Sligo as well, great to see and fully deserved.
Great to see the provincial title meaning so much, only ourselves (Fermanagh) and Wicklow have never tasted it, but Jesus it looks good

Sorry to go off topic here lads >:(
I'd sell you 6 Ulster titles in the last 9 years for a victory over you in the Quarters in 04. That year will always be the one that got away

spectator

Re: Bellaghy \ Charlestown ... I know it's a GAA site, but some of ye might find this interesting.

Bellaghy existed aeons before Charlestown came about & was a thriving market town at the outer boundary of the Sligo Gore-Knox estate [if memory serves me right.] Taxes & tithes from the thriving fairs were paid to the G-K's.

Dillons, the neighbouring landlords, whose seat was ten miles away in Ballaghaderreen, set a beady eye on the lucrative tithes and applied to the King to set up a rival fair adjacent to the G-K boundary [where modern day Charlestown is]. 

G-K stood to lose a fortune in tithes, so objections were lodged with the King which were upheld. Dillons in response, moved their proposed fair site back a few yards, applied again & after several rounds of this eventually succeeded & were allowed to start their rival fair.

Dillons sent their agent Charles Strickland to design a town on their new fair site & it was named Charlestown, after Strickland.

Over time, given it's proximity to the Dillons i suppose, Charlestown thrived as a market town, while Bellaghy at the remote end of the G-K estate, lost out badly & declined steadily to its current relatively sleepy state.

Funnily enough, it was one of the parliamentary Dillons who sanctioned the movement of Ballaghaderreen into Roscommon under the Local Government Act 1898. This move was likely related to the costs associated with complying with The Poor Law Act, according to what an elderly neighbour used to tell me when i was a young lad. Ballagh was moved from the Swinford Workhouse Area - which was overrun with destitute people - to the less populated Castlerea Workhouse Area.

The Ballagh people of the time were outraged at this treachery & resented their town landlord putting his business before their sense of place. My old neighbour used to bristle with rage when telling this, it cut people deeply back then.

The refusal to acknowledge this disenfranchisement from their historic home county has lingered on since through the local GAA club, established around 1885, where the Mayo supporting Ballagh members at any rate still actively endorse maintaining the status-quo.

108 years on, GAA loyalties in the area remain divided. It's a little know fact that Ballagh parish encompasses part of Sligo - they are having a rare day in the sun now :)

TacadoirArdMhacha

Brilliant result. Fair play Sligo. Always had a soft spot for Sligo and hopefully they'll go on to even greater things as the Summer wears on but, if not, there'll always be the memories of Sunday.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

navaniarmhi

O'Hara, Quinn and Nestor will be on telly with Cahill tonight. Westmeath did this kind of stuff in 2004 when they would probably been better off containing themselves. Still, you can't really postpone celebrations.

magpie seanie

Don't worry about O'Hara nad Quinner. They'll be sound for the next day. The Cup is gone into cold storage from now.