Idea for promotion for the Allianz National Football Leagues

Started by slippery dodger, February 03, 2018, 01:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slippery dodger

What if the league winner in Div 2/3/4 of the National Football Leagues were promoted outright without a final? The second place and third place teams play in a playoff final in a neutral venue to aid provincial towns. The winner would be promoted. There would be more to play for in the final rounds of the leagues as a third-place team could still get promoted. These games would possibly take greater importance than championship games. A money spinner for the GAA as well and I think neutrals would actually want to watch these games.
For example, the 2nd/3rd place playoff could look something like this

Meath v Roscommon in Tullamore Div 2 playoff final
Westmeath v Armagh in Breffni Park Div 3 playoff final
Laois v Carlow in Newbridge  Div 4 playoff final

Big crowds in provincial towns for an important winner take all games. The current Div. 2/3/4 finals are pretty meaningless and currently attract very small attendances.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Good idea, and possibly add in relegation play offs for the the teams who finish 6th and 7th.

armaghniac

Quote from: slippery dodger on February 03, 2018, 01:01:33 AM
Meath v Roscommon in Tullamore Div 2 playoff final
Westmeath v Armagh in Breffni Park Div 3 playoff final
Laois v Carlow in Newbridge  Div 4 playoff final

Perhaps a nuance would be allowing home advantage to the second placed team.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

armaghniac

Quote from: Syferus on February 03, 2018, 01:40:40 AM
There's enough games in the spring as it is.

Doh! This doesn't create any extra games. It replaces a division final in Croke park with a playoff between the second and third placed team.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on February 03, 2018, 01:55:16 AM
Quote from: Syferus on February 03, 2018, 01:40:40 AM
There's enough games in the spring as it is.

Doh! This doesn't create any extra games. It replaces a division final in Croke park with a playoff between the second and third placed team.

Doh? There's also a relegation playoff floated. Doh yourself.

PW Nally

Was having few social ones tonight and Ireland rugby under 20s on in pub. France up 22-3 at half time and we got chatting, not one of us that bothered with what we were watching. If a Friday night Allianz league game, say Donegal Galway, was being shown we all could relate more to it and most present enjoy all the more.

One game on a Friday, one chosen as an attractive fixture for neutrals, could set off the weekend leagues and give the Saturday papers a game to get their teeth into rather than another half arsed page of fixtures and predictions.

The rugby under 20s game was a right game in second half when Ireland came right back into it but point is that we had damn all else to watch and us in football country, given a GAA option we would not be watching what we were.

slippery dodger

Quote from: PW Nally on February 03, 2018, 03:35:07 AM
If a Friday night Allianz league game, say Donegal Galway, was being shown we all could relate more to it and most present enjoy all the more.

One game on a Friday, one chosen as an attractive fixture for neutrals, could set off the weekend leagues and give the Saturday papers a game to get their teeth into rather than another half arsed page of fixtures and predictions.

It would struggle to get through as the players would have to take a day off work more than likely. Thee supporters may give out about a Friday night game too. It is true that midweek underage or preseason games can be very successful, however. 8,000 attended a midweek minor hurling game in Cork last year. I dont think the GPA would be for it though and cant see it happening anytime soon.

Itchy

Quote from: slippery dodger on February 03, 2018, 04:34:45 AM
If a Friday night Allianz league game, say Donegal Galway, was being shown we all could relate more to it and most present enjoy all the more.

It would struggle to get through as the players would have to take a day off work more than likely. Thee supporters may give out about a Friday night game too. It is true that midweek underage or preseason games can be very successful, however. 8,000 attended a midweek minor hurling game in Cork last year. I dont think the GPA would be for it though and cant see it happening anytime soon.

I'd say if it was rotated equally amongst all teams so that every team only got one friday game and it was televised that players and supporters wouldn't mind. I'd rather a 8pm friday game than say going to Ennis for 2pm on a Saturday.

PW Nally

Quote from: Itchy on February 03, 2018, 08:24:25 AM
Quote from: slippery dodger on February 03, 2018, 04:34:45 AM

I'd say if it was rotated equally amongst all teams so that every team only got one friday game and it was televised that players and supporters wouldn't mind. I'd rather a 8pm friday game than say going to Ennis for 2pm on a Saturday.
Something like this was what I had in mind. Give teams plenty of notice so people can plan for It, even extra expenses for a Friday  night game if that's not too big a minefield to enter.

OgraAnDun

Down played Armagh on the 7th of February 2014 in (I believe) the first and only Friday night league match. I can't remember the reaction at the time, but I'm fairly sure there was a fair bit of criticism from ex-players about preparation time etc. The only situation where it could work would be with two neighbouring counties, so there wouldn't be much travel time between them.

BennyCake

Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 03, 2018, 01:33:00 PM
Down played Armagh on the 7th of February 2014 in (I believe) the first and only Friday night league match. I can't remember the reaction at the time, but I'm fairly sure there was a fair bit of criticism from ex-players about preparation time etc. The only situation where it could work would be with two neighbouring counties, so there wouldn't be much travel time between them.

Oh I remember it. Got the hole froze aff me that night!