All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 02, 2017, 10:30:52 PM
Lár, are you not old enough to know not to engage with the clowns still hanging around in here ffs?

The match is over a fortnight now, time to move on

You're here too.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 02, 2017, 10:36:31 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 02, 2017, 10:30:52 PM
Lár, are you not old enough to know not to engage with the clowns still hanging around in here ffs?

The match is over a fortnight now, time to move on

You're here too.
Ah, don't mind the detractors, Seanie, they'll always be with us.
But, while I happen to know the years we were beaten and by whom, I still don't know how blaming everybody, except ourselves, lost us so many All Irelands.
That's what the biggest troll on the board claimed and you agreed with him . As I wouldn't bother me posterior engaging with him, I'm asking you how did the fans' behaviour cause Mayo to lose any All Ireland?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

magpie seanie

I'll clarify what I meant. I meant Mayo didn't learn from their mistakes. Team and supporters alike because you cannot separate them, much and all as coaches would like to. Especially in a football daft county like Mayo. To me it seemed they focussed on things like Pat McEnaney singling out poor Liam McHale and seemed to me to believe "it'll be our turn eventually" rather than making damned sure it would be. That tactical ruthlessness that Kerry and Dublin have shown over the years has not been in evidence from Mayo (until this year perhaps). Over the years they've persisted with forwards who consistently missed or refused to shoot under pressure. They talk themselves up rather than playing it cool. Even O'Connor on the frees - he gets lots of scores for ye but when I said earlier in the year that he missed a few crucial ones I was lambasted. Rock missed frees in the club final and it drove him on to be the best freetaker in the game. He worked at it and undoubtedly improved. He missed that difficult free at the end of the league final and from his comments after the AIF it still bothers him and he made sure it didn't happen again. COC has missed a succession of crucial frees from the same spot. I can't say for definite but I'd wonder - has he done as much as Rock to eradicate the misses? Have the management analysed it enough?

This might sound harsh and people can write it off as me having a go at kicking ye when yer down - it's not meant to be that. Things are a lot tighter in the last few years but there's no way ye should have lost to Meath in 1996 for example. Ye came back the following year against a shaky enough Kerry outfit and let Maurice run riot on Pat Holmes.

I've probably said too much and will get killed for it.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 02, 2017, 11:12:24 PM
I'll clarify what I meant. I meant Mayo didn't learn from their mistakes. Team and supporters alike because you cannot separate them, much and all as coaches would like to. Especially in a football daft county like Mayo. To me it seemed they focussed on things like Pat McEnaney singling out poor Liam McHale and seemed to me to believe "it'll be our turn eventually" rather than making damned sure it would be. That tactical ruthlessness that Kerry and Dublin have shown over the years has not been in evidence from Mayo (until this year perhaps). Over the years they've persisted with forwards who consistently missed or refused to shoot under pressure. They talk themselves up rather than playing it cool. Even O'Connor on the frees - he gets lots of scores for ye but when I said earlier in the year that he missed a few crucial ones I was lambasted. Rock missed frees in the club final and it drove him on to be the best freetaker in the game. He worked at it and undoubtedly improved. He missed that difficult free at the end of the league final and from his comments after the AIF it still bothers him and he made sure it didn't happen again. COC has missed a succession of crucial frees from the same spot. I can't say for definite but I'd wonder - has he done as much as Rock to eradicate the misses? Have the management analysed it enough?

This might sound harsh and people can write it off as me having a go at kicking ye when yer down - it's not meant to be that. Things are a lot tighter in the last few years but there's no way ye should have lost to Meath in 1996 for example. Ye came back the following year against a shaky enough Kerry outfit and let Maurice run riot on Pat Holmes.

I've probably said too much and will get killed for it.
No problem at all when you put it that way. Good post.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on October 03, 2017, 10:20:43 AM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/no-knee-jerk-reaction-to-all-ireland-football-final-cynicism-460077.html
Passing the ball back to the goalie is not acceptable. Surely they could do something about that.  I presume the PTB don't want to draw any attention to the Dubs.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU