Scór

Started by Eamonnca1, August 02, 2017, 06:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

I remember when Scór was a big deal.

• Packed halls on Sunday nights.
  • The endless Question Time that seemed to be designed to be boring.
  • The snack bar opening up at the interval serving crisps and tins of mineral.
  • Scór na nÓg seemed like better crack than Scór na Sinsear, maybe because it was a younger crowd.
  • Young fellas misbehaving at the back of the hall and the MC giving out about it, threatening to send them "out through the door." 
  • The hit-and-miss of the novelty act; sometimes it was funny and sometimes it was painful to watch.
  • There used to be some great ballad groups, I always liked that part.
  • The set dancing to end the show on a high note.
  • Angry letters into the Irish News the next week giving out about the adjudicators' decisions.
  • The MC giving out about bad press the following week and threatening to throw out any club that questions the adjudicators' decisions.

I remember when it got to the Ulster final there'd be a huge crowd bringing their county flags and roaring at full volume when the results were called out.

Tony's other thread posts a report saying that there's been a bit of a decline in Scór in Armagh of late. Is this true? It wouldn't surprise me if the format is anything like it used to be.

theticklemister

Loved the Scor!!!

My highlights were
- Getting to the Ulster Final in Quiz but only getting 2 questions correct.
- Doing a few tunes with the chords and notes in front of us.
- Singing Aidan McAnespie and forgetting the words and shouting "For fucksake" over the microphone.

It seems to have got a new lease of life in Derry in reason times. There are regional finals to qualify for the county final.

Eamonnca1

Armagh used to have north, mid and south competitions before the county final. Just about all the clubs participated too.

mouview

Sweaty packed community halls in rural venues such as Kilconnell or Clonberne. A trip to somewhere foreign like Tobbercurry if you got out of the county. I liked the ballads also, an introduction to our songs of the past.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on August 04, 2017, 09:40:14 PM
Sweaty packed community halls in rural venues such as Kilconnell or Clonberne. A trip to somewhere foreign like Tobbercurry if you got out of the county. I liked the ballads also, an introduction to our songs of the past.
Cloberne would be fairly exotic, as would anywhere east of Schkehana
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Made my first foray into the field of Scór on Saturday evening after years of saying...."I must do that next year". Thoroughly enjoyed the night. Some excellent entertainment and a packed hall.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 05, 2018, 10:46:03 AM
Made my first foray into the field of Scór on Saturday evening after years of saying...."I must do that next year". Thoroughly enjoyed the night. Some excellent entertainment and a packed hall.

Did you take part, or just attended?

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 05, 2018, 11:05:07 AM

Took part. Solo singing and quiz.

rosnarun

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 05, 2018, 11:07:10 AM

and ... sure put the singing up on you tube anyway
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

magpie seanie

Quote from: rosnarun on March 05, 2018, 11:25:08 AM

and ... sure put the singing up on you tube anyway

I don't believe it was recorded.

Heshs Umpire

Scor is officially f***ed in Laois anyway.
This year's county final consisted of two quiz teams, two solo singers and one instrumental group. Nothing in the other five categories.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

AZOffaly

Fair play. Scór is very strong down here.

johnnycool

We've been pushing the Scór na nÓg in our place the last few years with the young uns and they're taking to it in a big way, one wee lad got to the Ulster final in recital IIRC.

Keeps them out of mischief till the brighter nights.

Orchard park

strong in roscommon for scor na nog anyways but doubt it will hit the heights of the 80s where there were county quarter finals even.

they keep scor sinsir going also but i doubt if there are 4 acts for every category

waterfordlad

You don't  hear much about Scor these days. Is it still popular? I took part in question time as a teenager and we got to Munster final somewhere in Co Cork possibly Banteer. My memories of it are vague enough now but can remember the hall being packed as Eamonn said and big interest at the time.