Old outfield players still plugging away?

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, June 22, 2017, 11:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I forgot about Bastick, never realised he was so old. Dublin's conveyor belt of talent hasn't really produced the midfielders in comparison to other positions. Is there any dominant 6'4"+ midfielders doing the business at club level who might be brought in? The mark has brought the demand for proper midfielders back.

Estimator

Enda Muldoon, at 39, is still producing the goods for Ballinderry at club level. He is generally playing around midfield. He played in the '95 minor side that were beaten by Westmeath in the All-Ireland final.
Ulster League Champions 2009

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

oakleafgael

Gold

Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2017, 12:47:29 AM
Quote from: PMG1 on June 24, 2017, 12:21:06 AM
Ricey is still flying for his club, will be forty this year

He didn't have much ability to lose in the first place.

I take it youre joking?!

Still playing mid 30s ff line senior club. Keeping the beef off as you get older is the hardest part. Lucky not to suffer niggly hamstring injuries etc that retired most ppl my age. Long time retired so keep it going as long as you can

Feet get better with age. Pace doesnt!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Gael85

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 24, 2017, 02:27:48 PM
I forgot about Bastick, never realised he was so old. Dublin's conveyor belt of talent hasn't really produced the midfielders in comparison to other positions. Is there any dominant 6'4"+ midfielders doing the business at club level who might be brought in? The mark has brought the demand for proper midfielders back.

We do have Fenton in the middle but need somebody beside him.Emmett O'Conghaile and Shane Carthy haven't stepped up from their promising underage days.

macdanger2

Quote from: Gael85 on June 24, 2017, 07:53:29 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 24, 2017, 02:27:48 PM

We do have Fenton in the middle but need somebody beside him.Emmett O'Conghaile and Shane Carthy haven't stepped up from their promising underage days.

Ye could have Brian Mullins beside Fenton and ye'd still have one of the best midfields in the country

Captain Scarlet

I suppose he wasn't a big name nationally but current Kildare coach Ronan Sweeney is still playing club for Moorefield. In fact was the best man on the field until he saw red in the county final last year.
He is in serious shape to be fair to him and he must be 40 at this stage. The straight red also saw him suspended for the first round of the SFC so the fekcer is playing B football too...
Johnny Doyle is still flying for Allenwood. Both lads would be pure club men in fairness.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Kilkevan

Charlie Carter still playing Junior A for Young Irelands and in his last match scored 1-5.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 24, 2017, 06:00:12 PM
Are SON or Dooher playing still?
I think Dooher played in the reserve championship last week

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on June 23, 2017, 08:04:44 PM
For Westmeath Denis Glennon (33) is the oldest with the footballers and had only missed 1 year since 2003. With the hurlers Brendan Murtagh is still going at 35. I reckon he probably made his senior debut as a minor, which would have been 2000. Can't be sure though.

It's funny though, I've noticed most of the senior club teams in the county have got older in the past few years. Which goes against the trend at county. May be an outlier though.

Close shark. Championship debut: April 15, 2001 v Carlow (hurling), June 11, 2001 v Wexford (football)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fuzzman

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on June 25, 2017, 03:50:06 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 24, 2017, 06:00:12 PM
Are SON or Dooher playing still?
I think Dooher played in the reserve championship last week

Yeah I believe Stevie still lines out at FF this year. Dooher club chairman this year.

Bord na Mona man

5 Sams

Mickey Linden scored 3 points for Mayobridge in the Down Reserve Football Championship today. He'll be 54 next month.
The Aristocrat Years

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Gold on June 24, 2017, 07:48:23 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 24, 2017, 12:47:29 AM
Quote from: PMG1 on June 24, 2017, 12:21:06 AM
Ricey is still flying for his club, will be forty this year

He didn't have much ability to lose in the first place.

I take it youre joking?!

Still playing mid 30s ff line senior club. Keeping the beef off as you get older is the hardest part. Lucky not to suffer niggly hamstring injuries etc that retired most ppl my age. Long time retired so keep it going as long as you can

Feet get better with age. Pace doesnt!

He's just jealous. He hasn't got over a Roscommon player trying to act the tough guy in an u21 game a few years ago and being humbled in the exchange.