Roscommon v Galway - Connacht SFC Final 2017 [Wind Tunnel, 9/7/17]

Started by Syferus, June 18, 2017, 05:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on June 23, 2017, 07:46:13 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2017, 07:21:46 PM
Quote from: weareros on June 23, 2017, 06:55:19 PM
The way the draw is, lose and you could be playing Mayo, win and you could be playing Mayo. A difficult round 4 and 1/4 final faces both teams. Although I had a read of the Western People this week and there was a big story in there by John Cuffe saying the current team is finished, and time to develop a new team. But that's for another day. Although unlikely, I hope it's a nice day in Salthill and we get a shootout. But I even remember the 2009 Connacht final in Salthill cos Ros were in the minor and there was still a very strong breeze blowing even though the day itself was lovely. If we get a shootout, I'd be confident we could outscore Galway. But I think Kevin Walsh will setup defensively and hope to hit our suspect defence on the counter attack. While we didn't know it at the time, the joint management of McStay and Fergal O'Donnell had two different football philosophies and things had broken down by the Connacht Final last year. We'll definitely bring a more coherent game plan to Salthill, so optimistic to an extent. Biggest worry is a lack of depth in some positions. It's a tremendous opportunity for our young team to break the cycle of false dawns.

I dunno how suspect our midfield is tbh. If we could spare him I'd have Enda on the wing but he gets so much space playing the middle there's a case to be made for playing him there anyways. Certainly creates a mismatch with almost any midfielder, who has little chance keeping up with him. TOR I think has had a very good debut season, a workhorse midfielder who breaks ball and has a great workrate. I think both compliment each other, and would say we haven't had a more stable pairing since 2014 when Shine and Higgins were at their very best. Physically I don't think they're overmatched against Flynn and FOC, it's more dealing with Conry that would be my issue for us around the middle third.

No I'm happy with our midfield. It's the most athletic and mobile we've ever had. What worries me is if one picks up an injury, given that Corcoran is out for the year, and Compton is very misfortunate with injuries, and Higgins had to retire from intercounty because of strain of injuries.

I'd say Ian K might be the designated guy to fill in. He was doing quite well there last season before he injured the hamstring, and that pretty much finished his season. If he didn't pick up an injury before the Leitrim game I'd have expected him to come on and replace Enda or TOR who had both done a lot of running by the final quarter.

Compton's quaility is being overlooked I think because of his injuries, he's very athletic for a big lad and he can score some wonderful points too. Like Harney I think he's only a run of fitness away from making a real impact on the team. Any setbacks to those four lads and we'll really have our work cut out to win another game this season.

giveballaghback

Once again I call on you syferus to take down that iconic photo of the great Dermot Earley you are using.
This is the seventh anniversary of his passing and associating the great man with the absolute bile that you post is an insult to Dermots memory. 

Syferus

Quote from: giveballaghback on June 23, 2017, 08:25:57 PM
Once again I call on you syferus to take down that iconic photo of the great Dermot Earley you are using.
This is the seventh anniversary of his passing and associating the great man with the absolute bile that you post is an insult to Dermots memory.

You are a very small man.

giveballaghback

No syf Im not, using the image of out greatest all time footballer says its you who is the very small very stupid man.

seafoid

What do Ros need to do.to win?

1. Maybe run at the Galway FB line. A few goals would work wonders.

2 Imagine the maroon jerseys are white

But can it happen?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

weareros

Ah lads just when Bomber went to bed and we thought we'd get a bit of peace and quiet.

cornetto

Alot of talk here earlier in the season that division 2 of the league was of poor quality,well that's four division two teams in provincial finals.I know it's another big step to win them finals,but as down proved tonight league form goes out the window, Galway beware!!
Derry could also get renewed hope after tonight's result,the qualifiers are getting interesting!!

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 21, 2017, 09:39:52 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 21, 2017, 09:26:38 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 21, 2017, 08:59:39 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 21, 2017, 08:50:46 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 21, 2017, 03:46:56 PM
Last two Galway v Roscommon Connacht finals went to replays. The replay date for this final is Sat 15th July and if that happens the loser of a replay will only have 6 days to recover before playing their round 4 tie and if they manage to win (stats against them) they will have to face a well rested Kerry in the last eight. Anyone else find this scheduling to be total nonsense?

What do you suggest instead Cunny?

One thing i would suggest is that Connacht final loser has at least two weeks to prepare for their qualifier game even if the final goes to a replay.

But how, Cunny? There are only so many weekends in the summer. If teams don't win games fixtures will backlog. It's as inevitable as day following night.

In the Qualifiers earlier iterations I think the fixture-makers were blind-sided by the difference loss of recovery-time made, but right now it seems to me the gaps are as good as can be hoped for, not least with the introduction of A- and B- streams in the qualifiers. It's to allow for as long a gap as is feasible that they were introduced. But if teams are drawing and not winning games, there will be consequences. There are only so many weekends in the summer, as I say.

How? well better scheduling of fixtures for example play the Connacht final on July 2nd instead of July 9th. Galway played in a league final and still had to wait for 8 weeks i think to play their first championship game while Roscommon had a 11 week wait. Only so many weekends in the summer you say yet the two finalist had many weekends waiting around.

Fair enough Cunny. The counter-argument to playing the final on July 2nd would be that the Connacht Champions would then be cold going into their semi-final after a four-week layoff. I don't know what the answer is. My fundamental point, really, is that you're always going to get hanged on something unless you win all your games. It's just not possible to allow for all contingencies.

Syferus

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 25, 2017, 09:40:37 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 21, 2017, 09:39:52 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 21, 2017, 09:26:38 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 21, 2017, 08:59:39 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 21, 2017, 08:50:46 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 21, 2017, 03:46:56 PM
Last two Galway v Roscommon Connacht finals went to replays. The replay date for this final is Sat 15th July and if that happens the loser of a replay will only have 6 days to recover before playing their round 4 tie and if they manage to win (stats against them) they will have to face a well rested Kerry in the last eight. Anyone else find this scheduling to be total nonsense?

What do you suggest instead Cunny?

One thing i would suggest is that Connacht final loser has at least two weeks to prepare for their qualifier game even if the final goes to a replay.

But how, Cunny? There are only so many weekends in the summer. If teams don't win games fixtures will backlog. It's as inevitable as day following night.

In the Qualifiers earlier iterations I think the fixture-makers were blind-sided by the difference loss of recovery-time made, but right now it seems to me the gaps are as good as can be hoped for, not least with the introduction of A- and B- streams in the qualifiers. It's to allow for as long a gap as is feasible that they were introduced. But if teams are drawing and not winning games, there will be consequences. There are only so many weekends in the summer, as I say.

How? well better scheduling of fixtures for example play the Connacht final on July 2nd instead of July 9th. Galway played in a league final and still had to wait for 8 weeks i think to play their first championship game while Roscommon had a 11 week wait. Only so many weekends in the summer you say yet the two finalist had many weekends waiting around.

Fair enough Cunny. The counter-argument to playing the final on July 2nd would be that the Connacht Champions would then be cold going into their semi-final after a four-week layoff. I don't know what the answer is. My fundamental point, really, is that you're always going to get hanged on something unless you win all your games. It's just not possible to allow for all contingencies.

Jaysis did the AISF get moved to up before the AIQF? Out of the box thinking from Duffy alright.

thejuice

Roscommon lost a challenge match to us this weekend by something like 0-17 to 0-13, with both teams close to full strength. Not confirmed but I'm sure there are more details out there.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

From the Bunker

Quote from: thejuice on June 25, 2017, 10:50:51 PM
Roscommon lost a challenge match to us this weekend by something like 0-17 to 0-13, with both teams close to full strength. Not confirmed but I'm sure there are more details out there.

Was Bernard Flynn at the game?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

cornetto

Watched galway training in the (wind tunnel)yesterday practising alot of long kicks for points,in to both sets of goals, Heaney looks to be injured,galway need to be on their game,the rossies are no slouches,I have genuine fear for our backline,if Ross could get parity in midfield it promises to be one hell of a match!!

Blowitupref

Quote from: cornetto on June 26, 2017, 01:48:17 PM
Watched galway training in the (wind tunnel)yesterday practising alot of long kicks for points,in to both sets of goals, Heaney looks to be injured,galway need to be on their game,the rossies are no slouches,I have genuine fear for our backline,if Ross could get parity in midfield it promises to be one hell of a match!!

A midfield trio of Flynn,Ó Curraoin,Conroy will have too much strength and experience for Roscommons midfield which is Enda Smith a forward who rarely does the required defensive work for a midfielder and O Rourke a lad just out of U21 level and plays intermediate club football in Roscommon meaning this game could be a massive step up for him. The rossies have little or no midfield cover on their bench either which makes things even worse.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 26, 2017, 02:04:33 PM
Quote from: cornetto on June 26, 2017, 01:48:17 PM

A midfield trio of Flynn,Ó Curraoin,Conroy will have too much strength and experience for Roscommons midfield which is Enda Smith a forward who rarely does the required defensive work for a midfielder and O Rourke a lad just out of U21 level and plays intermediate club football in Roscommon meaning this game could be a massive step up for him. The rossies have little or no midfield cover on their bench either which makes things even worse.

I don't know what Enda Smith you've been watching this year, but then again you're one of those accounts that's strangely evasive about their county so I don't know what to think.

Bringing up TOR playing Intermediate football is true nonsense when you consider he's been part of county set-ups with mostly the same group of lads for the last eight or nine years. Best midfield pairing we've had in at least three or four seasons.

I expect Galway to chicken out and not mark up all our backs on kick-outs meaning we'll retain possession quite easily with short kick-outs. Anyone who kicks deep when they don't have to is a mug.