Connacht minor championship

Started by sligoman2, June 22, 2016, 07:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2017, 04:35:22 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on May 01, 2017, 04:26:36 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on April 30, 2017, 10:56:35 PM
"Do managers even want their forwards to attempt to kick scores from 30yards'

And this is the crux of the problem especially in mayo where it seems to be a complete no go area and goal scoring seems to be completely lost.

You only have to look at the Jason docherty who has completely alienated his natural game to adapt to mayos style . I have no doubt in my mind doc would of scored twice as much if it wasn't for this. And I'm not saying he's still not effective from his present role , I just don't believe we should of sacrificed his more natural talent to pouch and score.

Remember a Kerryman telling me he thought Mayo were completely wasting Doherty in the role they had him playing - he was also of the opinion that he would have been contributing more on the scoring front if used differently - haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion either way but it stuck with me.

Doherty wasn't even worth starting playing his supposed natural role tbh. His new role has been his saving grace as regards making the Mayo team at all.

If a random person from Louth, Laois, Antrim, Wexford, told you the same thing would their opinion hold the same weight? What makes a Kerrymans opinion any more important?

Have to say I agree with Sy in regards Doherty. He'd not make the team in his original role.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 01, 2017, 04:46:58 PM

And this is the crux of the problem especially in mayo where it seems to be a complete no go area and goal scoring seems to be completely lost.

You only have to look at the Jason docherty who has completely alienated his natural game to adapt to mayos style . I have no doubt in my mind doc would of scored twice as much if it wasn't for this. And I'm not saying he's still not effective from his present role , I just don't believe we should of sacrificed his more natural talent to pouch and score.

Remember a Kerryman telling me he thought Mayo were completely wasting Doherty in the role they had him playing - he was also of the opinion that he would have been contributing more on the scoring front if used differently - haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion either way but it stuck with me.

Doherty wasn't even worth starting playing his supposed natural role tbh. His new role has been his saving grace as regards making the Mayo team at all.

If a random person from Louth, Laois, Antrim, Wexford, told you the same thing would their opinion hold the same weight? What makes a Kerrymans opinion any more important?

Have to say I agree with Sy in regards Doherty. He'd not make the team in his original role.

His ability to adapt should be commended before someone thinks I'm rubbishing him. A more talented FF in Freeman was unable to do likewise.

Blowitupref

I seen Jason Doherty play on the DIT Sigerson cup winning team 4 years ago. He scored 0-6 (5fs) in the semi final and 1-2 (2fs) in the final. The stand out feature of his play was his outstanding workrate and his ability to tackle better than most defenders on show.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

An Fhairche Abu

Mayo had a very bad start to this match but they were well on top around the midfield area for the last 15 minutes of the 1st half and were getting back into the game, the two goals just before ht were absolute back breakers for the young Mayo players and the game was only going to go one way after that. I don't think that the Mayo lads are as bad as this result would suggest and equally nor that Galway are that good. I will say that outside of the player talent levels on display, Galway looked to be way better setup and coached as a team.
One thing that really stood out was that Galway were far better with the decision making in terms of pass selection and execution, some of the Mayo hand and kick passing was abysmal, I used the phrase "hospital pass" several times to describe some of the Mayo attempts to find a team-mate. I would put the respective coaching levels on the block here, as the level of skill required to see and execute a 10 yard handpass competently is minimal compared to sticking the ball over the bar with a marker hanging off of you.

Hard to know what to make of Galway on the basis of this game, at no point were they were under any real pressure from Mayo.  As I've mentioned already, I would say that the Galway management have the team very well setup and drilled on their roles.
On the basis of the Connacht league results you would have to make Galway strong favourites to retain the Connacht minor title, though of course on the day though you never know with young players what way it will go.

Mulkerrin and Murphy are the obvious standouts for Galway that you could see making it as adult players down the road, but even if Murphy isn't lost to soccer I'm not sure how his skill-set would translate to the current type of game that is predominant at Senior level, he's a bit of a throwback in that he is looking to kick pass long into the FF line at nearly every opportunity, the space and time required to do that consistently well won't be there once he exits the minor grade.
It has to be said in all fairness to the lad though, that his two foot passes in the first half, one for the 2nd Galway goal and another to create a nearly exact same chance that was saved by the Mayo goalie about 5 minutes prior, were things of beauty. It would certainly make you nostalgic for the older man on man game that allowed these types of passes to be seen more often in Senior games.

rosnarun

A more talented FF in Freeman was unable to do likewise.

you've got tobe joking Freeman never delivered at intercounty level . he was just not at that standard . where as JDoc looked at home from the 1st time he put on the Jersey . remember his first year he was on almost a goal a game I think he got 6 in a row and has never let mayo down since

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

PW Nally

Quote from: rosnarun on May 02, 2017, 11:10:04 AM

you've got tobe joking Freeman never delivered at intercounty level . he was just not at that standard . where as JDoc looked at home from the 1st time he put on the Jersey . remember his first year he was on almost a goal a game I think he got 6 in a row and has never let mayo down since
1-4 in 2013 all Ireland semi final is not valued by you?

Syferus

Quote from: PW Nally on May 02, 2017, 12:16:17 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on May 02, 2017, 11:10:04 AM

1-4 in 2013 all Ireland semi final is not valued by you?

Freeman had ever chance of winnning an All-Star that year had Horan not had the masterstroke of subbing his FF off 15 minutes into the final.

joemamas

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 02, 2017, 11:05:25 AM
Mayo had a very bad start to this match but they were well on top around the midfield area for the last 15 minutes of the 1st half and were getting back into the game, the two goals just before ht were absolute back breakers for the young Mayo players and the game was only going to go one way after that. I don't think that the Mayo lads are as bad as this result would suggest and equally nor that Galway are that good. I will say that outside of the player talent levels on display, Galway looked to be way better setup and coached as a team.
One thing that really stood out was that Galway were far better with the decision making in terms of pass selection and execution, some of the Mayo hand and kick passing was abysmal, I used the phrase "hospital pass" several times to describe some of the Mayo attempts to find a team-mate. I would put the respective coaching levels on the block here, as the level of skill required to see and execute a 10 yard handpass competently is minimal compared to sticking the ball over the bar with a marker hanging off of you.

Hard to know what to make of Galway on the basis of this game, at no point were they were under any real pressure from Mayo.  As I've mentioned already, I would say that the Galway management have the team very well setup and drilled on their roles.
On the basis of the Connacht league results you would have to make Galway strong favourites to retain the Connacht minor title, though of course on the day though you never know with young players what way it will go.

Mulkerrin and Murphy are the obvious standouts for Galway that you could see making it as adult players down the road, but even if Murphy isn't lost to soccer I'm not sure how his skill-set would translate to the current type of game that is predominant at Senior level, he's a bit of a throwback in that he is looking to kick pass long into the FF line at nearly every opportunity, the space and time required to do that consistently well won't be there once he exits the minor grade.
It has to be said in all fairness to the lad though, that his two foot passes in the first half, one for the 2nd Galway goal and another to create a nearly exact same chance that was saved by the Mayo goalie about 5 minutes prior, were things of beauty. It would certainly make you nostalgic for the older man on man game that allowed these types of passes to be seen more often in Senior games.

Thank you for taking the time to do that report.

twohands!!!

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 01, 2017, 04:46:58 PM

I just thought that while a Kerryman wouldn't have seen a huge pile of Doherty, chances are he would have seen more of him given how often Kerry and Mayo have played the last while compared to a random person from Louth, Laois, Antrim, Wexford. Also there's the fact that most people would have Kerry and Mayo among the very top-level of contenders for Sam the last few years - it's nearly always insightful when you hear what an opponent makes of a rival team's players.  Anyway the Kerryman in question's main point was that Mayo weren't lacking forwards to win Sam, it was that they never knew how to develop them,coach them and set them up in order to get the maximum out of the forwards they had  - Doherty was one big example of this according to him. I didn't put a whole lot of stock on it myself but when I read larryin89's post I remembered it and threw it up.

GalwayBayBoy

Murphy's range of foot passing is incredible. He can consistently land it on a sixpence from 50 yards away with the instep or curl it with the outside of the boot.  He doesn't score as much from play as you'd think but I think this is mainly because he loves going out the field and being the playmaker.

I think he can adapt his game to senior football alright. He's got the size and physique already but whether he gets the chance is another matter. He's the captain of the Ireland schools team so you'd imagine he could get trials over in England or offered soccer scholarships to the US.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 02, 2017, 02:14:06 PM

Murphy's range of foot passing is incredible. He can consistently land it on a sixpence from 50 yards away with the instep or curl it with the outside of the boot.  He doesn't score as much from play as you'd think but I think this is mainly because he loves going out the field and being the playmaker.

I think he can adapt his game to senior football alright. He's got the size and physique already but whether he gets the chance is another matter. He's the captain of the Ireland schools team so you'd imagine he could get trials over in England or offered soccer scholarships to the US.

I hope he's very successful with the soccer.

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on May 02, 2017, 03:24:36 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 02, 2017, 02:14:06 PM

I hope he's very successful with the soccer.
I've heard a deal has been done whenever Galway exit championship.
Connacht title should be straightforward, losers of Ulster in 1/4. Munster winners in semi final likely.

galwayman

The Kingdom seem to have a serious side again this year.
Some conveyor belt down there

sligoman2

Connacht title should be straightforward, losers of Ulster in 1/4. Munster winners in semi final likely

Hello..........
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.