Devenney blames managers for his lack of success!!

Started by jp2020, December 11, 2015, 09:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp2020

Couldnt believe my eyes when i read this! He reckons every Donegal manager during his playing career is to blame for his failure to win anything! What an egotistical pr1ck! From memory they were beat by better teams in ulster finals ie Armagh and to say he lacked "courage" would be an  understatement! He never struck me as a boy that had the stomach for the battle and Armagh knew that! Compare this clown to the likes of Michael Murphy?!? Who woukd consider buying a book that Devenney wrote?!? The man has zero class, blaming men incl Mceniff for his own inadequacies!!!

Il Bomber Destro

Devenney was a good player who could have been a lot more if he had the right mentality, he was endemic of the group of players in that Donegal team at the time - lacking in ambition and dedication, he's probably a bit bitter about missing out on the McGuinness revolution by a couple of years.

Comes across as a bit of blowhard in his media duties.

ck

Devenney is a motor mouth waster. Would say anything to get in the news

J70

As talented a forward as we have produced, but just couldn't thrive in the Ulster Championship once Tyrone and Armagh introduced the blanket defense. Didn't like the trash talking and pulling and dragging. His frustration culminated in him getting six months for shoving Joe McQuillan after getting the Ryan McCloskey treatment for an hour. He would have been a star in the 2012 team had he been ten years younger, with his speed, accuracy and getting on the end of passes in those fast breaks. It's a fair point about the teams he played on though. Others, including McGuinness himself, have said the same about those sides. No one's fault: Harte and Kernan were ahead of the curve and had some fantastic players. 1998 was the one that got away though as far as he was concerned.

imtommygunn

I felt sorry for him sometimes. I think at one stage he marked mcnulty, ricey and mccloskey in about a month. i think that was the time he got sent off.

Him and sweeney were a great double act.

Still shouldn't be blaming managers.

ck

Quote from: J70 on December 12, 2015, 05:32:40 AM
As talented a forward as we have produced, but just couldn't thrive in the Ulster Championship once Tyrone and Armagh introduced the blanket defense. Didn't like the trash talking and pulling and dragging. His frustration culminated in him getting six months for shoving Joe McQuillan after getting the Ryan McCloskey treatment for an hour. He would have been a star in the 2012 team had he been ten years younger, with his speed, accuracy and getting on the end of passes in those fast breaks. It's a fair point about the teams he played on though. Others, including McGuinness himself, have said the same about those sides. No one's fault: Harte and Kernan were ahead of the curve and had some fantastic players. 1998 was the one that got away though as far as he was concerned.

Such nonsense. Devenney enjoyed acres of space and one to one battles compared to today's game where he'd have been double marked.

The fact that he was a big time Charlie who enjoyed the social scene too much was typical of a Donegal team that promised plenty but never delivered.
It was all the managers fault tho! 🙄

INDIANA

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 12, 2015, 09:18:55 AM
I felt sorry for him sometimes. I think at one stage he marked mcnulty, ricey and mccloskey in about a month. i think that was the time he got sent off.

If he was from Dublin you'd ridicule him for saying the same. The great players deal with it and thrive.

He wasn't a great player

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on December 12, 2015, 07:17:06 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 12, 2015, 09:18:55 AM

If he was from Dublin you'd ridicule him for saying the same. The great players deal with it and thrive.

He wasn't a great player

He had his moments. His biggest trouble was committing to Donegal each year. Soccer if I recall got in the way? He may like to blame Managers of the time but when it came to commitment he has to take a good look in the mirror.

rodney trotter

He was a entertaining player to watch. Himself and Adrian Sweeeny were lethal for a few years.

JoG2

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 12, 2015, 08:13:17 PM
He was a entertaining player to watch. Himself and Adrian Sweeeny were lethal for a few years.

agreed, 2 superb front men. Eddie would have been the polar opposite personality wise.

seafoid

there is a lot of luck in success. Players who would have been good enough missing out on all Irelands just because of timing. Most players never win the all Ireland. Or were not born in Kerry.

StephenC

DeV is and always will be a legend! For his 0-14 in the 1999 county final if nothing else.

brendan devenney ‏@brendandevenney
Up in Belfast. Just realised I forgot my shoes!! Is there any clubs/disco bars that don't mind runners#christ any advice welcome #rentshoes

giveballaghback

Class footballer who would have been even better under Jim McGuinness.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

jp2020

Quote from: StephenC on December 12, 2015, 10:15:55 PM
DeV is and always will be a legend! For his 0-14 in the 1999 county final if nothing else.

brendan devenney ‏@brendandevenney
Up in Belfast. Just realised I forgot my shoes!! Is there any clubs/disco bars that don't mind runners#christ any advice welcome #rentshoes

He is and always will be a showpony with little end product! He just didnt have the balls for the big day! Imagine if he was playing today with philly mcmahon staring him down, hed physically wet himself! As for #rentshoes, that just sums him up! He was interviewed in the late 00s and reckoned Tyrone & Armagh took football too serious and were too concerned with systems, training and weights! That sort of thing just wasnt for him, and now he comes out with this crap about managers!
There are alot of quality players that didnt get the opportunities he got but just got on with it!
And you know what, Im sorry i started this thread, he doesn't actually deserve discussion!!