Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

I don't think we have a thread where rules can be discussed and clarified, so here's one now.

I have a couple of rules myself I need clearing up...

- What's the situation regarding extra time? As far as I'm aware, a team down to 13 or 14 players, will have a full team for extra time. Are the players added to the 15 for ET, counted as part of their sub allocation?

Also, teams that have used their allocation of subs in normal time, how many extra subs do they get in ET?

- is a player allowed to fist the ball to himself? I noticed it happened in the Kerry Mayo replay. I didn't think this was allowed.

5 Sams

Dunno about the ET and subs but there's no problem with a player fisting the ball to himself as long as it touches the ground before he regains possession. Thats what happened in the Kerry Mayo game when I think it was Crowley punched the ball ahead of himself and picked it up again after it bounced.
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

Quote from: BennyCake on September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

- What's the situation regarding extra time? As far as I'm aware, a team down to 13 or 14 players, will have a full team for extra time. Are the players added to the 15 for ET, counted as part of their sub allocation?

Also, teams that have used their allocation of subs in normal time, how many extra subs do they get in ET?

2.6 Players in Extra Time
(a) Any fifteen players may start Extra Time,
except as provided for in (b) and (d) below.

(b) In an Inter-County Game, any fifteen players on
the List submitted to the Referee prior to the
game, except as provided for in (d) below, may
start Extra Time.

(c) The Referee shall be given a List of the 15
players starting Extra Time, or a Note clearly
indicating the changes made from that of
the finishing team in Normal Time. This List/
Note may be in single form but shall otherwise
comply with the provisions of Rule 2.5 - List of
Players.

(d) A player ordered off in any circumstance in
Normal Time, may not play in Extra Time but
may be replaced.

(e) Substitutions/Temporary Substitutions shall
be allowed during the playing of Extra Time as
outlined in Rule 2.4(ii) and (iii).

(f) A Caution (Yellow Card) issued in Normal Time
shall carry over into Extra Time.

blewuporstuffed

Whats the rule for kickouts now that they are all taken from the 13? where do the outfeild players need to be? outside the 21 or outside the D or what? Every referee seems to inforce something different
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

westbound

Outside the 21 (and 13metres from the ball). But the ball must travel a distance of 13metres before it can be gathered by another player (on the defending team).

Where lots of people get confused is when the ball goes diagonally towards the sideline and travels more than 13metres, a player IS allowed to come inside the 21 to collect the ball provided he was outside the 21 when it was kicked.

I think i remember reading on here before that technically, by the letter of the law the goalkeeper could kick the ball to himself (and in theory dribble the length of the field) as long as he didn't pick it up!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: westbound on September 09, 2014, 02:36:30 PM
Outside the 21 (and 13metres from the ball). But the ball must travel a distance of 13metres before it can be gathered by another player (on the defending team).

Where lots of people get confused is when the ball goes diagonally towards the sideline and travels more than 13metres, a player IS allowed to come inside the 21 to collect the ball provided he was outside the 21 when it was kicked.

I think i remember reading on here before that technically, by the letter of the law the goalkeeper could kick the ball to himself (and in theory dribble the length of the field) as long as he didn't pick it up!

Correct
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 09, 2014, 03:00:25 PM

Correct
Its just that ive seen players standing on the 21 directly in front of the keeper with their arms in the air and referees letting that go (even though they would only be 8m from the ball) whereas some referees insist on all players being outside the 'D' as well.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

screenexile

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 09, 2014, 04:07:57 PM

Correct
Its just that ive seen players standing on the 21 directly in front of the keeper with their arms in the air and referees letting that go (even though they would only be 8m from the ball) whereas some referees insist on all players being outside the 'D' as well.

Good point! Why is the D there in the first place? Was it brought in as an exclusion zone for when keepers used to kick the ball from the 21?

Anyway if it's there we may as well use it and have lads stand outside it for kickouts!!!

AZOffaly

Penalties in Hurling and Football,  and Kickouts I thought.

westbound

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 09, 2014, 04:22:45 PM
Penalties in Hurling and Football,  and Kickouts I thought.

Correct, exclusion zone was brought in for penalties (and kickouts when they were on the 21).

In response to blewuporstuffed, I guess some referees use some discretion and don't bother holding the game up to move players back a few yards if they aren't going to interfere with the keeper's kickout. If they blocked the ball down I presume the attacker would be penalised.
I'm not saying thats correct as per the rule book, but I'd say that what some refs do.

johnneycool

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 09, 2014, 04:07:57 PM

Correct

I know its slightly different, but I was once told by an intercouty referee (hurling) when I questioned him on why he gave a free against one of our lads for blocking a sideline cut was that he wasn't the required distance away from the ball. I pointed out he was standing directly beside his marker and he responded that if he'd have blocked it instead it would have been our free...
Not sure if he was using poetic license or not..

bailestil

Rule 1.2 Exception II
Any Player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground and may score by doing so.

I can safely say I've seen this hundreds of times, and blown up every single time.

westbound

Quote from: bailestil on September 09, 2014, 04:44:24 PM
Rule 1.2 Exception II
Any Player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground and may score by doing so.

I can safely say I've seen this hundreds of times, and blown up every single time.

In fairness, I've seen a few refs allow this (Correctly) - but the abuse they've gotten from the players/mentors & supporters who obviously didn't know this rule has been ridiculous!