Author Topic: Scór  (Read 216 times)

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
Scór
« on: August 02, 2017, 06:25:22 PM »
I remember when Scór was a big deal.

• Packed halls on Sunday nights.
  • The endless Question Time that seemed to be designed to be boring.
  • The snack bar opening up at the interval serving crisps and tins of mineral.
  • Scór na nÓg seemed like better crack than Scór na Sinsear, maybe because it was a younger crowd.
  • Young fellas misbehaving at the back of the hall and the MC giving out about it, threatening to send them "out through the door." 
  • The hit-and-miss of the novelty act; sometimes it was funny and sometimes it was painful to watch.
  • There used to be some great ballad groups, I always liked that part.
  • The set dancing to end the show on a high note.
  • Angry letters into the Irish News the next week giving out about the adjudicators' decisions.
  • The MC giving out about bad press the following week and threatening to throw out any club that questions the adjudicators' decisions.

I remember when it got to the Ulster final there'd be a huge crowd bringing their county flags and roaring at full volume when the results were called out.

Tony's other thread posts a report saying that there's been a bit of a decline in Scór in Armagh of late. Is this true? It wouldn't surprise me if the format is anything like it used to be.

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
Re: Scór
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 11:02:13 AM »
Loved the Scor!!!

My highlights were
- Getting to the Ulster Final in Quiz but only getting 2 questions correct.
- Doing a few tunes with the chords and notes in front of us.
- Singing Aidan McAnespie and forgetting the words and shouting "For fucksake" over the microphone.

It seems to have got a new lease of life in Derry in reason times. There are regional finals to qualify for the county final.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 02:53:01 AM by theticklemister »

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 09:13:03 PM »
Armagh used to have north, mid and south competitions before the county final. Just about all the clubs participated too.

mouview

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 09:40:14 PM »
Sweaty packed community halls in rural venues such as Kilconnell or Clonberne. A trip to somewhere foreign like Tobbercurry if you got out of the county. I liked the ballads also, an introduction to our songs of the past.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 09:45:40 PM »
Sweaty packed community halls in rural venues such as Kilconnell or Clonberne. A trip to somewhere foreign like Tobbercurry if you got out of the county. I liked the ballads also, an introduction to our songs of the past.
Cloberne would be fairly exotic, as would anywhere east of Schkehana
"you can try and intimidate us, but f**k youse, we're going to win an All-Ireland anyway"