What's the Difference Between Black, Yellow and Red Cards?

Started by IolarCoisCuain, March 02, 2014, 07:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: oganly on March 03, 2014, 01:07:54 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on March 03, 2014, 04:01:36 AM
If the idea is to stamp out tactical fouls, how about a 20 meter free in front of the sticks and possession returned to the team suffering the foul?

Whether or not this idea is passable, all you need to stamp out a pattern of behavior is to make the punishment for the foul more costly than the benefit.

Lads, I've recently completed the Gaa Referee Course for my sins.

The purpose of the rule is twofold -

1. The deal with cynical fouling. You can get a Black Card for three different cynical fouls: (a) Deliberate Trip of an opponent, (b) Deliberate Pull down of an opponent, ie Sean Cavanagh in Croke Park last year and (c) Deliberate Body Collide to take a player out of the movement of the play, ie if a player hand passes to a teammate and a defender steps into his running path to prevent him receiving the ball back.

2. To deal with Non Cynical Fouls - (a) threatening or verbal abuse or threatening gestures towards a player or opponent and (b) to remonstrate with a referee or match official.

It should be also borne in mind that the Black Card is more punitive than a Yellow. Yellow plus Black = Red. A player given a Black Card must be substituted (only if it's his first card in the game and only if he's one of the first three black cards to be received by the team during the game including extra time). If he's the fourth player he can't be replaced during ordinary time. He can be replaced at the start of extra time but if another player receives a black card he can't be replaced....

My only problem with the Black Card is the differential it creates between Football and Hurling. If you commit one if the Non Cynical Fouls above in Hurling its a Yellow Card but in Football you're off the pitch.

Don't you be going down near Kilkenny coming out with statements like that, you'll be hung, drawn and quartered.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on March 05, 2014, 01:36:45 PM
Quote from: oganly on March 03, 2014, 01:07:54 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on March 03, 2014, 04:01:36 AM
If the idea is to stamp out tactical fouls, how about a 20 meter free in front of the sticks and possession returned to the team suffering the foul?

Whether or not this idea is passable, all you need to stamp out a pattern of behavior is to make the punishment for the foul more costly than the benefit.

Lads, I've recently completed the Gaa Referee Course for my sins.

The purpose of the rule is twofold -

1. The deal with cynical fouling. You can get a Black Card for three different cynical fouls: (a) Deliberate Trip of an opponent, (b) Deliberate Pull down of an opponent, ie Sean Cavanagh in Croke Park last year and (c) Deliberate Body Collide to take a player out of the movement of the play, ie if a player hand passes to a teammate and a defender steps into his running path to prevent him receiving the ball back.

2. To deal with Non Cynical Fouls - (a) threatening or verbal abuse or threatening gestures towards a player or opponent and (b) to remonstrate with a referee or match official.

It should be also borne in mind that the Black Card is more punitive than a Yellow. Yellow plus Black = Red. A player given a Black Card must be substituted (only if it's his first card in the game and only if he's one of the first three black cards to be received by the team during the game including extra time). If he's the fourth player he can't be replaced during ordinary time. He can be replaced at the start of extra time but if another player receives a black card he can't be replaced....

My only problem with the Black Card is the differential it creates between Football and Hurling. If you commit one if the Non Cynical Fouls above in Hurling its a Yellow Card but in Football you're off the pitch.

Don't you be going down near Kilkenny coming out with statements like that, you'll be hung, drawn and quartered.
Bought a pint for a Cynical Foul?

ranch

Quick query.

I was at a club championship match over the weekend. One team had a player who received a yellow card followed by a black card (and therefore a red). 2 other players on the same team then received black cards. Should they able to replace the last player who was black carded? Or is it only if you receive more than 3 black cards?

mrdeeds

I think it's ridiculous that black cards carry but yellow cards don't. You could keep picking up yellows in every game for dangerous play or rash play and no punishment.

StGallsGAA

Would it not help if the GAA released videos of obvious yellow and black offences?

StGallsGAA

Quote from: rosnarun on March 05, 2014, 10:59:03 AM
I think the best way to look at a black card it that its a yellow PLUS
yellow and black = red = yellow and yellow = black and black

Put the alcohol down and step away from the keyboard son....

AZOffaly

Quote from: StGallsGAA on August 22, 2017, 10:26:14 PM
Would it not help if the GAA released videos of obvious yellow and black offences?

I don't think there's any ambiguity in the description of the fouls. The problem is the referee's interpretation and the subjective judgement of the word DELIBERATE.

A deliberate trip
A deliberate body collide to take him out of the play
A deliberate pull to the ground.

How many times have we seen lads black carded for abusing the ref though? I can't remember any.