European City break

Started by Bingo, November 19, 2013, 09:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

This has probably been done elsewhere but could anyone recommend a location in European to spend 4/5 days next April. A city break or even take in a couple of places ie fly into A and fly home from B.

Places mentioned so far - Prague, Stockholm, Croatia, Berlin, Budapest, Copenhagen or maybe even a few days in the sun somewhere.

Any pointers much appreciated. Kids not travelling by the way.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Bingo on November 19, 2013, 09:30:05 AM
This has probably been done elsewhere but could anyone recommend a location in European to spend 4/5 days next April. A city break or even take in a couple of places ie fly into A and fly home from B.

Places mentioned so far - Prague, Stockholm, Croatia, Berlin, Budapest, Copenhagen or maybe even a few days in the sun somewhere.

Any pointers much appreciated. Kids not travelling by the way.
Been to Budapest three times,highly recommend it for a city break. Berlin good too though

tbrick18

Copenhagen is a lovely spot, particularly nice at this time of year in Tivoli gardens. A sort of Xmas market but also an rollercoasters.
Plenty to see and do there, Carlsberg brewery, there's a commune and that I cant remember the name of which is well worth a visit and loads more. Drink is pricey though....8-10 pounds a pint.

Prague is a good spot too, me and Mrs. tbrick went there for the anniversary one year. Didnt do any of the sleazy stuff, its just a really nice city with a castle and night time river tours a must.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: hardstation on November 19, 2013, 09:48:46 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on November 19, 2013, 09:36:13 AM
Copenhagen. Drink is pricey though....8-10 pounds a pint.
Fcuk that....

Prague is nice but it was ball freezing when I was there.

Dubrovnik looks class.

Class spot.

Budapest is nice at this time of year for the Christmas Market.

Nuremburg and Dusseldorf also famous for Christmas Markets

ziggy90

Quote from: hardstation on November 19, 2013, 09:48:46 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on November 19, 2013, 09:36:13 AM
Copenhagen. Drink is pricey though....8-10 pounds a pint.
Fcuk that....

Prague is nice but it was ball freezing when I was there.

Dubrovnik looks class.

Rome is a different class. Barcelona is a great spot too.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Rois

Fly into Nice and do the Riviera - spend a day in Cannes, Monte Carlo and Nice itself.
It will be lovely and pleasant at that time.

Paris is also gorgeous and you could take the Eurostar to Brussels or somewhere and do the two places.

gallsman

Quote from: Rois on November 19, 2013, 09:56:28 AM
Fly into Nice and do the Riviera - spend a day in Cannes, Monte Carlo and Nice itself.

Paris is also gorgeous and you could take the Eurostar to Brussels or somewhere and do the two places.

I think Paris, with obvious exceptions is a bit of a kip to be honest.

Berlin and Krakow are great. Berlin not necessarily a "beautiful" place but so much history and so much to do. Krakow is great even when not going on the rip - very quaint, very medieval.

Edinburgh is also a favourite of mine.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: gallsman on November 19, 2013, 10:38:44 AM
Quote from: Rois on November 19, 2013, 09:56:28 AM

I think Paris, with obvious exceptions is a bit of a kip to be honest.

Berlin and Krakow are great. Berlin not necessarily a "beautiful" place but so much history and so much to do. Krakow is great even when not going on the rip - very quaint, very medieval.

Edinburgh is also a favourite of mine.
i would agree with that, Berlin & Krakow are both great, i think it was actually april time i was in Krakow and the weather was nice.
Prague & barcelona both nice as well, although it was christmas markets time when i went to those two
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Bingo

Cheers lads, some pointers there.

Is Berlin and Krakow doable as a multi-stop?

screenexile

Big fan of the City Breaks myself much prefer them to heading to the sun for a week.

Brussels
Really like it there's plenty to see and do with good food and drink as well!

Berlin
Very interesting City if you're into your history. The story of both sides is very interesting and it's crazy to see how different they are!

Paris
It's just OK I wasn't a huge fan.

Napoli
Lovely City the food is class!!

Heading to Krakow in January although it'll be cold I'm looking forward to it I've heard great things about it.

Barcelona
Great place I was there in April this year and we had a great time. A city right beside the beach is the job!

Dusseldorf
Wasn't a huge fan of it but good enough night life about it.

Harold Disgracey

Have been to Copenhagen, Prague and Berlin and loved them all. I was in Berlin in April and found it very reasonable with lots to see and do e.g. the Reichstag, Museum Island, the Topography of Terror, Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburg Gate etc. If you are with your other half and she likes chocolate take her to Fassbender and Rausch, you'll be popular!

Copenhagen is lovely but quite pricey; if you go I would take in a day trip to Roskilde to visit the cathedral where the kings and queens are buried and the Viking ship Museum. I would also go to Helsingor to visit Kronborg Castle, where Hamlet is set and on the way back to Copenhagen stop off at Humlebaek and go to the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art.

If you chose Prague, check out the Iron Gate hotel which is located just off the Old Town Square near the Astronomical Clock.

ballinaman

Larne got some great reviews on a previous thread...

Been to most cities mentioned but have to recommend Poland over the lot.

Beautiful, friendly and dirt cheap. Can't ask for much more.

Krakow is class, as is Gdansk/Sopot. Lovely beach for a run too in Sopot.

leaveherinsir

Have done Budapest - Vienna- Bratislava- Budapest in the past. Fly in and out of Budapest and do the other trips by train.

rodney trotter

Zurich and Geneva are suppose to be very good, bit on the pricey side if you don't mind that.

michaelg

Although expensive, Tel Aviv is a reat spot, with lots of tourist attractions close by i.e Jerusalem, Dead Sea etc.  Return flight from London on Easyjet are about £250 and a a beach side apartment is about £50 a night.