The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Just seen there Georgia are ranked higher than Italy in World Rugby?

square_ball

Used to be a huge fan of rugby. It's become unwatchable now. That was horrendous viewing.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 29, 2020, 02:40:37 PM
Just seen there Georgia are ranked higher than Italy in World Rugby?
They rarely play teams above them

thewobbler

Quote from: square_ball on November 29, 2020, 04:22:22 PM
Used to be a huge fan of rugby. It's become unwatchable now. That was horrendous viewing.

I'm the same. Professional, error free defensive systems, and sheer physical size has largely sucked the entertainment out of the game. At the highest level it's now as much a battle of concentration as anything else. Chess was never much fun as a spectator sport either.

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on November 29, 2020, 04:29:29 PM

I'm the same. Professional, error free defensive systems, and sheer physical size has largely sucked the entertainment out of the game. At the highest level it's now as much a battle of concentration as anything else. Chess was never much fun as a spectator sport either.

I fear Rugby is in real trouble, where is it going?, players are only going to get bigger, defensive systems only going to improve. Most tries are "through the phases" kn**ker the opposition , then exploit a gap by a speed or strength mismatch.

thewobbler

Quote from: 6th sam on November 29, 2020, 07:10:44 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they made the pitch 10 yards wider.

I fear Rugby is in real trouble, where is it going?, players are only going to get bigger, defensive systems only going to improve. Most tries are "through the phases" kn**ker the opposition , then exploit a gap by a speed or strength mismatch.

trileacman

Agreed but Rugby was always an ugly game. That spell in the noughties when it was hugely entertaining was on reflection an outlier. Rugby matches for the previous 40 years were shite. Watch any old video of Willie John or Lions tour.

The athletic aspect has really killed the game now though. The variation in physical attributes was always one of rugby's great appeals. A game with a place for the strong, the tall, the quick, the heavy etc. Nowadays it has just morphed into rugby league with contested set-pieces with all the players being more or less the same.

The real irony is that although players are more or less interchangeable in positions now they're no better at the basics of the game than in the amateur era. They are jacks of all trades and the masters of none. Scrum-halfs and centres are better at tackling and counter-rucking than they used to be but poorer at passing. Out-halfs can now tackle and run with the ball but can't kick from the hand. FB's can't attack a broken field. loose forwards can carry and pass but can't counter-ruck. It makes for a very poor spectacle.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

thewobbler

Quote from: trileacman on November 29, 2020, 07:46:11 PM

Agreed but Rugby was always an ugly game. That spell in the noughties when it was hugely entertaining was on reflection an outlier. Rugby matches for the previous 40 years were shite. Watch any old video of Willie John or Lions tour.

The athletic aspect has really killed the game now though. The variation in physical attributes was always one of rugby's great appeals. A game with a place for the strong, the tall, the quick, the heavy etc. Nowadays it has just morphed into rugby league with contested set-pieces with all the players being more or less the same.

The real irony is that although players are more or less interchangeable in positions now they're no better at the basics of the game than in the amateur era. They are jacks of all trades and the masters of none. Scrum-halfs and centres are better at tackling and counter-rucking than they used to be but poorer at passing. Out-halfs can now tackle and run with the ball but can't kick from the hand. FB's can't attack a broken field. loose forwards can carry and pass but can't counter-ruck. It makes for a very poor spectacle.

It's rugby league with more phases and better goal kickers.

You're probably right about that golden period. A short window when brilliant players stood out, because professional contracts allowed them to give everything to the game.

Then came the giant robots.

trileacman

Quote from: thewobbler on November 29, 2020, 07:54:50 PM
Quote from: trileacman on November 29, 2020, 07:46:11 PM

It's rugby league with more phases and better goal kickers.

You're probably right about that golden period. A short window when brilliant players stood out, because professional contracts allowed them to give everything to the game.

Then came the giant robots.

I fell in love with rugby in that period of the noughties but it couldn't last at least not with professionalism about. I felt a bit of a sea change during the 2007 WC and Argentina's style of play. Maybe I'm wrong about that but it has sort of felt since that Northern Hemisphere rugby has been dominated by forcing the oppositions to make mitakes rather than creating oppurtunities of your own.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Walter Cronc

Can't anyone else see Farrell not lasting long?

It was sheer madness (and probably the cheap option) to appoint an ex league man as head coach.

Announcing Schmidt's departure and Farrell's appointment pre RWC 2019. Lunacy.

Rudi

Is the current Leinster management team a viable option at international level, what about Pat Lam? or the ex Irish international from Ulster.

Walter Cronc

It would be Pat Lam for me.

The elephant in the room is the style of play currently adopted by Leinster. They have moved for expansive play to bosh merchants this past few years which is a real shame as they have the players to implement a running game.

galwayman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 30, 2020, 08:20:12 AM

It was sheer madness (and probably the cheap option) to appoint an ex league man as head coach.

I think at the moment they have no choice but for Farrell to see out his contract as they don't have the money currently to change coach.

GetOverTheBar

It's been a fairly poor start under him as head coach alright.

Ireland if we are being honest have been on the wane since 2017/2018 if we are being honest though.

It's been a gradual decline, perhaps helped by some really unfortunate injuries almost rotating to rob Ireland really of a full proper full 15.

Looks like Farrell is going to live and die by Stockdale at Full Back....

6th sam

"Blame the manager" attitude ,let's everyone else off the hook. Farrell like any manager has weaknesses but it won't help the squad development by blaming everything on him