Violence in Adult Club Football

Started by Jinxy, September 17, 2018, 09:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In your county, has it:

Significantly increased in recent years
Significantly decreased in recent years
It's about the same

illdecide

Could someone please point out why Sean Cavanagh's face was on the news last night when discussing the recent fighting at GAA matches, sure that was an accidental tackle and the lad was cleared by Tyrone Co Board so why show his face as if he was battered by someone in the crowd
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

oneclubonelife

Can anyone answer this question - can the gas use the footage from a mobile phone/tablet or does it have to be an official video. I am not asking if they should, I am asking legally as any suspensions given from any footage other than a official video will be open to appeal or will the county board get around this issue by telling the referee to write his report based on names and numbers on the video,even if during the game he didn't see it.

JoG2

Quote from: oneclubonelife on October 10, 2018, 02:20:27 PM
Can anyone answer this question - can the gas use the footage from a mobile phone/tablet or does it have to be an official video. I am not asking if they should, I am asking legally as any suspensions given from any footage other than a official video will be open to appeal or will the county board get around this issue by telling the referee to write his report based on names and numbers on the video,even if during the game he didn't see it.

they can of course, its in the rules in black and white

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2018, 01:34:35 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2018, 11:05:44 AM
I firmly believe that in bad cases there should be prosecutions. I have seen a few things over the years, one incident in particular stands out, where boys should have got a criminal record for their antics. Unfortunately in our case some in the club tried and some refused to follow this line as the attitude to police in the north wasn't good at the time. This was about 15 years ago so I would hope it has changed mind.

It's the best way to stop it in my view. I am not sure whether southern clubs would pursue this with the gardai or not mind. It's like the law stops before you go into a GAA ground for some people.

I am not talking for 2 guys digging on or off the ball but when you get boys wading in, punching people in the back of the head and doing things like fracturing eye sockets and broken jaws for boys who are doing nothing but trying to break a fight up. Sometimes people suffer from being unable to work off the back of these things too.

Where any lads done by the police when our own Ref was attacked in Ballymena a few years ago? I said it before on here and a gael was against it! Strange one. If you were punched in the side of the head on the street and you knew their names surely you would report it?

Yeah I agree. People have to be held to account for what they do by law if they are breaking it. Just because it's in a GAA ground it doesn't make it any different.

I doubt anyone was done for the ref getting attacked.

If someone goes far enough in a GAA ground to do something which they would be prosecuted for in the street then they should be prosecuted for doing it within a GAA ground.

Down south do many of these make it to the gardai I do wonder? I do think up north there may be an aversion to getting police involved.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: illdecide on October 10, 2018, 02:14:10 PM
Could someone please point out why Sean Cavanagh's face was on the news last night when discussing the recent fighting at GAA matches, sure that was an accidental tackle and the lad was cleared by Tyrone Co Board so why show his face as if he was battered by someone in the crowd

I'm not sure everyone at the game or who I've since seen the video agreed with that conclusion. If there did look to be intent the county board's attitude maybe sums up the problem trying to keep things like this out of the game.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2018, 03:09:05 PM
I firmly believe that in bad cases there should be prosecutions. I have seen a few things over the years, one incident in particular stands out, where boys should have got a criminal record for their antics. Unfortunately in our case some in the club tried and some refused to follow this line as the attitude to police in the north wasn't good at the time. This was about 15 years ago so I would hope it has changed mind.

It's the best way to stop it in my view. I am not sure whether southern clubs would pursue this with the gardai or not mind. It's like the law stops before you go into a GAA ground for some people.

I am not talking for 2 guys digging on or off the ball but when you get boys wading in, punching people in the back of the head and doing things like fracturing eye sockets and broken jaws for boys who are doing nothing but trying to break a fight up. Sometimes people suffer from being unable to work off the back of these things too.

Where any lads done by the police when our own Ref was attacked in Ballymena a few years ago? I said it before on here and a gael was against it! Strange one. If you were punched in the side of the head on the street and you knew their names surely you would report it?

Yeah I agree. People have to be held to account for what they do by law if they are breaking it. Just because it's in a GAA ground it doesn't make it any different.

If someone goes far enough in a GAA ground to do something which they would be prosecuted for in the street then they should be prosecuted for doing it within a GAA ground.

Down south do many of these make it to the gardai I do wonder? I do think up north there may be an aversion to getting police involved.
There was a case in Dublin where a fella clobbered an opponent with a hurling stick and he was charged with GBH. I think the fella made a full recovery and dropped the charges but he was taken to court anyway. I'll see if I can find it online.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/gaa-player-charged-with-assault-after-he-allegedly-hit-opponent-over-the-head-with-a-hurl-court-told-37192226.html

Delegater

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on October 10, 2018, 03:27:59 PM
Quote from: illdecide on October 10, 2018, 02:14:10 PM

Reading the BBC article it appears that the club feel aggrieved with the county board not giving them a report. Seems very strange not to give the clubs a copy of the report and reading between the lines, the video I suspect, shows the collision wasn't accidental and that the referees report contradicts what was released by the CB. Hence the reluctance to release the DVD and the report.

The CB must have thought it would just go away. But fair play to Moy, they are within their rights to get a hold of the report. Its standard procedure surely?

I'm not sure everyone at the game or who I've since seen the video agreed with that conclusion. If there did look to be intent the county board's attitude maybe sums up the problem trying to keep things like this out of the game.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 10, 2018, 07:13:45 PM

There was a case in Dublin where a fella clobbered an opponent with a hurling stick and he was charged with GBH. I think the fella made a full recovery and dropped the charges but he was taken to court anyway. I'll see if I can find it online.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/gaa-player-charged-with-assault-after-he-allegedly-hit-opponent-over-the-head-with-a-hurl-court-told-37192226.html

I have a feeling the lack of police involvement could be part of the reason they are worse up north. Apart from one or two you hear of, one in wicklow seemed pretty bad, they generally seem to be worse up north.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2018, 09:58:06 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 10, 2018, 07:13:45 PM

I have a feeling the lack of police involvement could be part of the reason they are worse up north. Apart from one or two you hear of, one in wicklow seemed pretty bad, they generally seem to be worse up north.
You know yourself the fella going to the peelers would get absolutely hammered. Not the manly thing to do even from a hospital bed.

Milltown Row2

Would you go to the peelers if your son was absolutely hammered by a thug on the pitch?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Therealdonald

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2018, 10:42:50 PM
Would you go to the peelers if your son was absolutely hammered by a thug on the pitch?

Would not. And would look down on anyone that did.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on October 10, 2018, 10:53:22 PM
Touts our n all that jazz.. :-X

Lay off the drink  PJ  ;)

We'd a player many years ago who was out of work due to a thug kicking him in the head, his employers were out of pocket, not just money wise but with his expertise in the job he done..

All that jazz won't help if a player ends up with brain damage..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Therealdonald on October 10, 2018, 10:55:07 PM

So if someone assaulted your child on the street you'd do nothing?

Therealdonald

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2018, 11:03:51 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on October 10, 2018, 10:55:07 PM

So if someone assaulted your child on the street you'd do nothing?

You asked about the pitch? Is it the street or pitch? Where is it happening?