Weather

Started by Lucius Fox, August 07, 2008, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: redzone on January 03, 2018, 12:28:25 PM
What is the best weather app ?

I use yr.no it's a Norwegian app and allows you look for specific towns. I'd give it 9/10 for accuracy within the day on an hour by hour basis. A great help when it comes to calling training off for kids etc. I'd say 8/10 for 2-3 days out and 6/10 for up to 10 days

GJL

Not sure about app but I use www.metcheck.com  and find it very good.

Was rough our way last night with a lot of trees down.

armaghniac

Snow on the way next week, it seems. Not for obscure places like Roscommon but right in Baile Átha Cliath, 2010 style.
Maybe time to cover the pipes.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Boycey

So the updates get bleaker and bleaker, will it be snowmageddon or a damp squib?

armaghniac

Quote from: Boycey on February 25, 2018, 10:20:04 PM
So the updates get bleaker and bleaker, will it be snowmageddon or a damp squib?

Tues/Wednesay is showers in Leinster, like 2010, some places get more showers some less. Thursday night likely a wave of snow 30cm, but this might not extend all the way north or might be a bit sleety on the south coast.

10% chance of 60cm in Dublin.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Syferus on December 10, 2017, 01:09:01 PM
Six inches of snow in west Roscommon.
As long as the district nurse can get the red tablets to you there's no need to worry
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

armaghniac

Them's inches, not centimetres

Hereiam

Wouldn't read to much into that chart lads. Snow predictions are a case of on the day. Alot of it will be hit and miss as no computer model can predict where streamers will form out over the Irish sea.

armaghniac

Quote from: Hereiam on February 26, 2018, 12:42:40 PM
Wouldn't read to much into that chart lads. Snow predictions are a case of on the day. Alot of it will be hit and miss as no computer model can predict where streamers will form out over the Irish sea.

I imagine computer models can make a pretty good guess, but of course cannot say exactly how many showers will fall at a given location, these are only averages. You'll clearly get more effect from the Irish sea in Dublin than in Limerick.
However, the volume here comes as much from Thursday night and is not so much streamers as an actual front.

Hereiam

That front has been watered down a fair bit in the latest model runs. Not giving it to run as far north now

Orior

Quote from: Hereiam on February 26, 2018, 01:02:16 PM
That front has been watered down a fair bit in the latest model runs. Not giving it to run as far north now

Exactly. Forecasters always err on the side of pessimistic.

Plus, in the occupied six, a lot of people think that the forecast for England applies to the north.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

Quote from: Orior on February 26, 2018, 01:20:27 PM

Plus, in the occupied six, a lot of people think that the forecast for England applies to the north.
Sure once the North is ok that's all that matters....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

Quote from: laoislad on February 26, 2018, 01:44:04 PM

Sure once the North is ok that's all that matters....

Avondhu star

Quote from: Orior on February 26, 2018, 01:20:27 PM

It couldn't piss enough on some of them
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you