American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 26, 2017, 10:25:33 AM
I think Vincent Hogan is talking out his arse. I'm sure that stance pissed off a few of the owners, but if you think every NFL owner is going to sacrifice a chance at winning because of that, you're mad. If Kaepernick could help a team, he'd be on a team. I think he'll still land somewhere.

That said, he has a point about the disciplinary process in the NFL. Goodell seems to be swayed by popular opinion and reacts. Thus Ray Rice only got banned when the video came out, even though the NFL knew what had happened.

And Josh Brown the Giants kicker, that assaulted his wife
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

Quote from: Asal Mor on June 26, 2017, 10:19:26 AM
Heard Vincent Hogan on off the ball yesterday saying that nfl owners won't give Kaepernick a job because of the stance he took in kneeling during the national anthem. Hogan said it seems that it's OK to be a criminal or wife beater in the nfl as long as you don't take a stand on racism. I would have thought that Kaepernick would be lucky to get a job in the nfl regardless and that if he was still the player he was a few years ago they'd be queueing up. I don't doubt that his stance pissed off right wing nfl owners but if they thought he still had something, it wouldn't be an issue.

He has a passer rating over 90 last season, on a terrible team.

Minder

Quote from: Syferus on June 27, 2017, 12:02:44 AM
Heard Vincent Hogan on off the ball yesterday saying that nfl owners won't give Kaepernick a job because of the stance he took in kneeling during the national anthem. Hogan said it seems that it's OK to be a criminal or wife beater in the nfl as long as you don't take a stand on racism. I would have thought that Kaepernick would be lucky to get a job in the nfl regardless and that if he was still the player he was a few years ago they'd be queueing up. I don't doubt that his stance pissed off right wing nfl owners but if they thought he still had something, it wouldn't be an issue.

He has a passer rating over 90 last season, on a terrible team.

With a vastly reduced playbook, about as simple as you will get. He just isn't accurate enough but you would think he will land somewhere

Oraisteach

So, word has it that Kylie Irving has asked the Cavs to trade him.  Just Brilliant!

Minder

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 21, 2017, 11:30:15 PM
So, word has it that Kylie Irving has asked the Cavs to trade him.  Just Brilliant!

Yeah doesent want to play with Le Bron

gallsman

Yeah, pretty big news. He'd be forfeiting money to make it happen to.

LeBron by all accounts not going to do much to try and convince him to stay.

stew

He is shit, useless, washed up, that is why he has no job but feel free to blame the right wing owners! Who are these right wing owners who are pissed off and what does him not getting a job say about the left wing owners? Are there left wing owners? Gobshite!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

magpie seanie

Quote from: stew on July 23, 2017, 03:26:28 PM

He is shit, useless, washed up, that is why he has no job but feel free to blame the right wing owners! Who are these right wing owners who are pissed off and what does him not getting a job say about the left wing owners? Are there left wing owners? Gobshite!

I agree. I think Hogan is wrong here. If Kaepernick was good enough he'd be on a team. You can argue that he'd be better than some backups but hard to say he should be starting anywhere. He will get picked up at some point but I'd say it's that coaches are wary of him and the additional publicity moreso than owners. I don't think the owners care one bit.

Ball Hopper

Derrick Rose joins Cleveland Cavaliers for one year at the minimum wage for a league veteran, which is $2.1 million.

gallsman

Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 25, 2017, 02:03:10 AM
Derrick Rose joins Cleveland Cavaliers for one year at the minimum wage for a league veteran, which is $2.1 million.

He might actually be alright for them until he inevitably breaks down again after a few months. Probably the biggest case of lost talent in the league over the last ten years.

Are his legal troubles behind him?

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote@AdamSchefter 11 minutes ago

Ravens' OL John Urschel turned 26 years old in June, and now he is retiring from the NFL. Feels like a trend.

stew

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 27, 2017, 04:02:03 PM
Quote@AdamSchefter 11 minutes ago

Ravens' OL John Urschel turned 26 years old in June, and now he is retiring from the NFL. Feels like a trend.

Good for him, Brett Favre two years after he retired complained about memory loss, these young men are starting to play for five years or so and get out before they are crippled or worse, they set themselves up for life and becone family men, they play the game on their terms and get out, the NFL will hate this but screw them, its not as if they give a shite about their players now or ever.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Oraisteach

Apparently, the Cavs have traded Kylie Irving to the Celtics for Isaiah Thomas.  Thomas's lingering hip injury has to be a real concern.

Oraisteach

Browns seem determined to finish last in NFL after cutting CB Joe Haden.  To make matters worse, Steelers appear to be the most eager to sign him.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Oraisteach on August 30, 2017, 07:36:42 PM
Browns seem determined to finish last in NFL after cutting CB Joe Haden.  To make matters worse, Steelers appear to be the most eager to sign him.

Doing a last man standing contest...am considering picking every road game against the Browns.  Would that get me 8 guarantees?

Could adding the 49ers and Jets road games to the mix  present a winning strategy maybe?