?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Evil Genius

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 30, 2008, 10:52:44 AM
Making no comment or giving any opinions of what Kyle could have meant, I would like to point out the following.

A year ago, when a transfer to Celtic was first mooted, Kyle said that if he signed for Celtic there could be uproar and he would have to consider his international career.

Bollocks. Here is what he said in January 07, when Celtic first approached Burnley:

And the youngster has indicated that he would welcome a move to Glasgow.

"Celtic are a huge club and I'm honoured to be the subject of a bid," Lafferty told BBC Sport when the approach was first revealed.

Lafferty has bagged four league goals for Burnley this season, making 11 starts and 13 appearances as a substitute.

"Obviously there's a long way to go but I'll be talking to my club and my agent," added Lafferty, who moved to Turf Moor from NFC Kesh in the summer of 2004.

"I'll also have to have a long chat with my mum and dad.

"Celtic are massive and the lure of European football is very appealing."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/6267003.stm

No mention whatever of "uproar", nor any threat to the international career of one of the proudest players to wear the green shirt.

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ExiledGael

Evil Genius

Quote from: Solomon Kane on January 30, 2008, 05:47:41 PM
It would be a no win situation for the GAWA. If Lafferty got booed by even a tiny minority the whole crowd would be tainted. If he didn't get booed it would only be because "he was a prod". I feckin hate the Old Firm.

Agree with your general comment on the Old Firm, SK, but I'd be very confident that if a few meatheads did start booing him at Windsor, they'd be immediately be drowned out by a chorus of "We All Dream of a Team of Laffertys" (or somesuch) from the GAWA.

I can't really decide whether it would be a good move for Kyle, or whether he'd be better staying with Burnley. I guess it all depends on what Strachan has in mind i.e. whether he expects to play him regularly soon after he joins, including in the big games (preferable), or whether he is "one for the future", who may take a couple more seasons to get established, before eventually being sold back to England at a profit (might as well stay at Burnley).

Either way, if he should decide to join Celtic, he will continue to receive my 100% support.  
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

stiffler

Seems like selective editing there EG  :o
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

Not that often it happens quite so well. From my dealings over the years with owcers, I have learned that one must have evidence before one makes a claims. Any claims made about NI soccer related themes will be dissected and if possible rubbished - which is right and proper if said claim is false.

So when I typed:
Kyle said that if he signed for Celtic there could be uproar and he would have to consider his international career.
that was because I knew I could go to the Irish News website and download the following quote as acceptable evidence.
Quote"There could be uproar and I have to consider my international career. "

I even went as far as copying the original post and replacing the word I with He and the word my with his.

Same, incidentally for the second attributed quote in my post, by the way.

All that time you spend typing really slowly (for my benefit apparently) could be better spent on a little thinking.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Evil Genius

Quote from: stiffler on January 30, 2008, 07:34:19 PM
Seems like selective editing there EG  :o

Not quite - i cited the BBC link for people to read in its entirety.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 30, 2008, 08:24:50 PM
Not that often it happens quite so well. From my dealings over the years with owcers, I have learned that one must have evidence before one makes a claims. Any claims made about NI soccer related themes will be dissected and if possible rubbished - which is right and proper if said claim is false.

So when I typed:
Kyle said that if he signed for Celtic there could be uproar and he would have to consider his international career.
that was because I knew I could go to the Irish News website and download the following quote as acceptable evidence.
Quote"There could be uproar and I have to consider my international career. "

I even went as far as copying the original post and replacing the word I with He and the word my with his.

Same, incidentally for the second attributed quote in my post, by the way.

All that time you spend typing really slowly (for my benefit apparently) could be better spent on a little thinking.

Well, my memory has let me down there, I'll admit (though I still don't see any evidence of "life in danger", now that Hard Station brings it up).

Perhaps I'd forgotten that Irish News article from the time the move was originally mooted, since in the 12 months since, there has been no actual backlash against Lafferty, nor threat to his international career etc, despite this link with Celtic emerging during the Summer and again this month?

Storm in a Teacup, methinks.

Anyhow, congratulations, SS2, for having caught me out. Tell me, now that we're opening up old posts, have you found any more evidence to back your claim about the IFA "forcing NI Nationalists to carry UK Passports"? You know, that dispute where our old friend Pat Ramsey claimed that the IFA was doing nothing to stand up to a FIFA Directive to that effect, when in fact they (IFA) managed to get an exemption for NI within a matter of weeks?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

saffron sam2

All together now:

"What about Pat Ram-am-sey
What about Pat Ram-am-sey
What about Pat Ram-am-sey"

Remind me now, was he the boyo you posted a quote from that hinted he might be blaming FIFA and not the IFA and then I had to post his entire press release to show that you were at the selective quoting lark?

"What about Pat Ram-am-sey
What about Pat Ram-am-sey"
I think I was the last one of the two of us to post on that thread.  Feel free to dig it up and reply.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Main Street

SHOCK NEWS   only about a day or two late.

Lafferty is not signing for Celtic.

Understood?
An dtuigeann tú?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Main Street on January 30, 2008, 09:20:32 PM
SHOCK NEWS   only about a day or two late.

Lafferty is not signing for Celtic.

Understood?
An dtuigeann tú?

Good now thats been put to bed, on with more important things.

Celtic sign Barry Robsen - should prove to be a useful signing and cover.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee_utd/7216434.stm

Tbc....

ExiledGael

How good is Robson? Know little of him.
Notice OWC's Steven Davis has joined Rangers

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: ExiledGael on January 31, 2008, 09:17:40 PM
How good is Robson? Know little of him.
Notice OWC's Steven Davis has joined Rangers

Mate of mine who's a bluenose just texted me with the news about Davis, he's only on loan - not be losing to much sleep on that one.
Robson, has had a great year for the Arabs and is one of the main reasons their sitting third in the league.

Dundee Utd fans on BBC 606 are devastated
Tbc....

Rav67

He's been one of the SPL's best players this season.  Has a lovely left foot and is handy at frees, good eye for goal and could play centre mid or wide left (probably the reason why Jarosik was let go).  He is 29/30 though as far as I know which would make me think if he was actually that good we'd have heard more about him before this season.

Main Street

Ireland u21 Jim O'Brien has gone on loan to Dundee as a sweetner for that deal.
Darron Gibson might play in the u21 v England in place of o"Brien.
O'Brien is highly thought of but has been a bit dissapointing when playing for Ireland.
That could be many things, not least being part of a crazy 3 man midfield formation in the home game against England.