?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Sh*te management decisions last night.
If you send your team out to get a draw, have them playing 10 men in their own 18 yard area for large parts of the game and defending by using the offside trap, then getting beaten one nil is hardly a surprise!
Naka left on the bench, starting with one striker (and picking the one who has scored once over the guy whose banging them in for fun at the minute), Sno and Jiri getting a match at all - Jesus wept.

Thought Killen did ok given his difficult role, but WGS has to hold his hands up for this one-complete balls up tactically.
Benfica were a mediocre side at best, but we gave them the space and they used it, that guy who scored for them, also hitting the crossbar and upright was outstanding, sign him up straight away before the return leg!
Tbc....

T Fearon

Have to agree. Smith beats Strachan for tactical awareness hands down. John Collins might be a better long term bet for Celtic as manager.

Gonna be tremendously hard to qualify now as I don't think 9 points will be enough this year. Shaktar will take 3 off Benfica at home and at least draw with Milan at home, which would leave them on 10 (assuming that Celtic beat them at Parkhead) That would leave Celtic needing something from the San Siro (and Milan will be fired up after what happened in Glasgow) and a win over Shaktar by at least 3 goals at home.

Rav67

To be honest Tony, never at any point from when the draw was made, and it is still my view, have I thought we've a realistic shout of a top-2 finish in that group.  I would grab a UEFA cup spot at the minute and only the very optimistic fan would disagree with me I think.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on October 25, 2007, 01:14:59 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 24, 2007, 02:25:41 PM
have never seen a REAL centre half watch and LET a ball pass them by instead of kicking it to Row Z when in the same situation.
McManus 100% committed but a converted LB naturally. Caldwell tries to play too much football for a centre half. SPL scots version of rio  :o

I disagree with this lynchbhoy. McManus has shown time and again over the past couple of seasons (for Celtic and Scotland) that he is a class centre half, reads the game well and is in the right place at the right time. Plus he has tremendous determination. Certainly not a left back though and I dont recall him ever playing there, when I heard of him as a young lad too he was a centre half. Agree about Caldwell who is a liability and wasnt even particularly rated by Hibs fans when he was there.

People are probably also doing Rangers a disservice by just labelling them a physical side. You dont beat Lyon 3-0 away just by being physically strong. Smith has got together a very solid squad with some very good players in key positions and decent hard working players alongside them. People were saying I was way wrong a few months ago on this thread to suggest Rangers would challenge Celtic and said the gap was too big...but they said that when MoN came to Celtic and within a couple of months his team wiped the Huns 6-2 at Parkhead. Rangers are serious players this season.

Celtic were unlucky tonight without doubt, rode their luck at times but would have been worthy of a point IMO. Shame as a point there would have been very handy. Probably need to win both home games now and maybe try and sneak something in Milan. Can still be done.
imo to me mcmanus has never shown me that he is anything other than a very committed player.
He has no positional sense, he didnt guard himself against fellas jumping in a la cousin last sat, he is completely one sided, and tries to play football out of defense when he has a bad first touch and is a poor passer.
Caldwell is the other extreme, he can pass, but you want to play the simple ball as a centre half and is too much of a 'footballer' .
Rem - safety first when playing in defense.
Rangers are playing well, with confidence, but have seen them in other games and they are poor. They are v physical and mccurry let them away with it v celtic. They did not look like much of a side apart from athe first two gifted goals, and its easy to pick apart a team who HAVE to come at you and score a couple. They are competent, but imo thats about it. If GS is any good, he will see celtics failings and address these in time for the next derby game.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on October 25, 2007, 01:24:10 PM
Sh*te management decisions last night.
If you send your team out to get a draw, have them playing 10 men in their own 18 yard area for large parts of the game and defending by using the offside trap, then getting beaten one nil is hardly a surprise!
Naka left on the bench, starting with one striker (and picking the one who has scored once over the guy whose banging them in for fun at the minute), Sno and Jiri getting a match at all - Jesus wept.

Thought Killen did ok given his difficult role, but WGS has to hold his hands up for this one-complete balls up tactically.
Benfica were a mediocre side at best, but we gave them the space and they used it, that guy who scored for them, also hitting the crossbar and upright was outstanding, sign him up straight away before the return leg!

thought GS was holding McDonald until benfica tired and then let him loose. Not a bad idea.
Pity he didnt tell the defenders to mark up and find row Z. Defenders who cannot defend. That drives me insane.

cant se celtic getting anything other than third place. Pity, as bad tactical decisions away to shakthar cost them a draw, plus last night a fully fit celtic team might have got more than a draw they nearly got.

Croí na hÉireann

Good performance from the Bhoys on Sat although the start was ropey to say the least. Have to say most of the talk after the game was about the performances of McDonald and McGeady (and they did the business alright) but Scott Brown was just sensational in my eyes, reminds me of a young Keane at Notts Forrest with the drive from midfield, appetitie and work rate and he just gets better and better every time I see him. He showed some real touches of class at times with backheels that Naka would be proud of. Lovely ball by Naylor for the second and hopefully he's coming back into the form from last season. Need to get a right back fit as soon as possible though. Liked the look of Hartley in the middle with Brown but Killen didn't have as good a game as on Wed I thought. U get the feeling he won't get a look in when Venegor gets back. All in all, a great weekend for Timdom with the Huns getting humped. What was I saying about agression and counter attacking only getting you so far???  ;D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

T Fearon

The problem is that it has got the Huns three victories over Celtic in 2007.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on October 30, 2007, 02:55:42 PM
The problem is that it has got the Huns three victories over Celtic in 2007.
a wee bit of strategy and brain power would help from Celtic's manager.
Dont know if he has that though. Seems to pick  and field the correct strategy a week after the games...

Rav67

Looking forward to the match tomorrow, after a decent performance on Saturday I thought against Kilmarnock.  McGeady and McDonald are in great form and Hartley was again excellent in the holding role.  Benfica are pretty poor away from home and I think Celtic will take it with a 2-1 win.  Anyone else heading to the game?

T Fearon

Anything less than a 2-0 win tomorrow night will be seen as a failure for the Bhoys.

Sure wsh I was going, was at the Juve match in 2001 (4-3) and last year's 1-0 win against Man Ure, and although Benfica are not in the same class as those two, you simply cannot beat a big European game at Paradise for atmosphere.

Here's hoping the huns get tanked in the Nou Camp as well! ;D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on November 05, 2007, 04:39:16 PM
Anything less than a 2-0 win tomorrow night will be seen as a failure for the Bhoys.

Sure wsh I was going, was at the Juve match in 2001 (4-3) and last year's 1-0 win against Man Ure, and although Benfica are not in the same class as those two, you simply cannot beat a big European game at Paradise for atmosphere.

Here's hoping the huns get tanked in the Nou Camp as well! ;D
ah yes the return game v Barcelona
it moves from camp zoo to camp nou  :D

Celtic need to win. GS has to start getting his tactics and selection right.
Can win 2-0

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Alot of tonights result will be down to WGS's team selection and tactics - leave Sno in the changing room FFS please, also leave Jiri on the bench, start with McDonald and Van up front, Killen and Riordan on the bench as back-up, McGeady on, Naka missing will be a loss, but I would have only brought him on at half-time anyway. Gomes starting for them - tough, we also need to man mark your man Oscar!

Going to stick my neck out and say Celtic 3-1 with McDonald to score first.

Hail Hail - Come on the Hoops
Tbc....

Croí na hÉireann

I think it's imperative we play Hartley & Brown in the center, put Donati on the wing if needs must. Also put Caldwell on the bench!!!
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Sky Blue

Celtic 1 up. McGeaney on the stroke of half time.

ExiledGael

Fed up watching Liverpool scoring.
That was the worst tackle I've ever seen there on Scott Brown, dunno how his leg wasn't broke, horrific, Benfica tr**p sent off, rightly so. Sickening.