Not born that way

Started by The Iceman, December 14, 2016, 08:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

https://vimeo.com/101135437

It's an hour long.  I'm asking some of you interesting in really looking at both sides to watch. It's interviews of many homosexual (both male and female) talking about their experiences before, during and after they lived out their lives in same sex relationships.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

No wides

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 20, 2016, 11:32:24 PM
Quote from: No wides on December 20, 2016, 02:28:54 PM
For the record people with learning disabilities can have children - but don't let facts get in the way of your bullshit.

So can same-sex couples.

Not by themselves

No wides

Quote from: thebigfella on December 20, 2016, 11:37:41 PM
Quote from: No wides on December 20, 2016, 10:21:30 PM
Going for world domination and hating children wtf can you bring to this? Unless gays polish your car better.

Your obsessed with how they polish each other's knobs. This voyeurism could be your gateway drug to you taking the next step physically.

Oh dear were you on the prawns and white wine spritzers last night.  Few quotes to back that up - no. I thought not. If i were you id stick to the afternoon aperitif and get James to take you home in the limo.

Applesisapples

Quote from: HiMucker on December 20, 2016, 11:32:50 PM
Just to add a modicum of balance.  Although I think nowides is talking absolute dung, we did have a conversation down the pub ( I know... :D) that there was a disproportionate number of gays on tv shows.  Now I have no facts and figures to back this up, but i would be amazed if this was not the case.  An argument about the pros or cons of this is another diacussion, one that I dont really give a monkies about.
Here's a thought, maybe it just reflects the actual make up of society. Where I work I will encounter at least three gay people on a daily basis, and not always the same people and I work in a place with a good cross-section of society. The homophobic tone of some contributors on here actually says more about them than it does about gay people. So called Christians lighting candles whilst preaching a hatred their God would disown.

J70

Quote from: No wides on December 20, 2016, 10:23:22 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 20, 2016, 02:36:17 PM
Quote from: No wides on December 20, 2016, 02:32:30 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 20, 2016, 02:30:09 PM
For the record people with learning disabilities can have children - but don't let facts get in the way of your bullshit.

I didn't say they couldn't.

You implied it.

"3. I brought up Down Syndrome, another set of traits that naturally affects a minority of people and which could affect someone's ability to procreate, just like homosexuality."

"Could affect" doesn't mean "can't".

So why did you bring up people with learning disabilities?

Its like talking to a wall with you. You say something five times, and it still doesn't permeate whatever barrier exists between your eyes and your brain.

Look up the word "analogy". Then go read Reply #138 on this thread. Its all there in black and white.

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on December 20, 2016, 10:56:29 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 20, 2016, 02:28:22 PM
As for gays and gingers - have gingers been the subject of repression? There didn't used to be many racial and ethnic minorities on tv (some would argue they're still not fully represented). Entertainment mirrors society. It was not a coincidence that Captain Kirk kissed Uhura in Star Trek in the late 60s but it had to be cut from the broadcast in the southern states. As society grows more accepting of homosexuality (or trangenderism - look at the Amazon series, which is pretty decent), tv and movies will reflect that.

Just need to correct you.
Society is being forced to accept these as normal otherwise risk being labelled by the PC crowd.
TV/social media pushes the agenda. Celebrities endorse it.

question is, given the choice would people want to engage with differing groups.

Oh no, celebrities endorse it!

Come one! Who, in reality, really gives a bollocks what some celebrity endorses? If you agree with the celebrity, you'll think "that's nice, he/she is a smart or decent person". If you don't, you'll think "what the f**k do they know?".

And social media pushes every kind of ideology there is. It is, after all, a reflection of society. Did you not see any of the shite spreading around during the recent US election? Whether on facebook or twitter or any of the other media.

TV/entertainment is, primarily, all about making money. If society wasn't moving towards acceptance of gays and minorities and so on, they wouldn't feature those groups. They basically like jumping on bandwagons and are generally gutless when it comes to sticking their necks out.

As for engagement with different groups, well people will certainly be a lot more reluctant if what is taught is hate and fear. On the other hand, if they're taught that these groups are just regular people, and they actually meet and engage with some of them and see that, yes, they ARE just people with the same everyday issues and personalities as the rest of us, well then they might just see them as people first and not some freakshow to be feared or avoided.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 21, 2016, 08:43:49 AM
Just to add a modicum of balance.  Although I think nowides is talking absolute dung, we did have a conversation down the pub ( I know... :D) that there was a disproportionate number of gays on tv shows.  Now I have no facts and figures to back this up, but i would be amazed if this was not the case.  An argument about the pros or cons of this is another diacussion, one that I dont really give a monkies about.
Here's a thought, maybe it just reflects the actual make up of society. Where I work I will encounter at least three gay people on a daily basis, and not always the same people and I work in a place with a good cross-section of society. The homophobic tone of some contributors on here actually says more about them than it does about gay people. So called Christians lighting candles whilst preaching a hatred their God would disown.
I'd imagine there's a higher proportion of gay people on TV than elsewhere. Without trying to be patronising, I suspect the performing arts would have a higher than usual ratio, and that would translate into people on TV. The camp guys on TV do my head in, but sure I suppose what harm are they doing really.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 21, 2016, 02:24:50 PM
I'd imagine there's a higher proportion of gay people on TV than elsewhere. Without trying to be patronising, I suspect the performing arts would have a higher than usual ratio, and that would translate into people on TV. The camp guys on TV do my head in, but sure I suppose what harm are they doing really.

I don't blame them.

There has long been a slant on marketing to portray men as inferior to women. Think of ads over the last 20 years where the couple always has a smart women and a dopey c*nt as the husband.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on December 21, 2016, 04:19:02 AM

It's an hour long.  I'm asking some of you interesting in really looking at both sides to watch. It's interviews of many homosexual (both male and female) talking about their experiences before, during and after they lived out their lives in same sex relationships.

Ok, I'm watching some of it. I also read a summary of it to get the jist:http://www.crisismagazine.com/2014/bounty-everlasting-hills-leaving-gay-life-behind

Is it really a surprise that some gay people are and have been conflicted about their homosexuality given the marginalization and condemnation of homosexuality by society in general and religious communities in particular? Especially for those who were brought up religiously? Christ, of all churches, the Catholic one lays on the guilt fairly thick. Even a casual w**k is forbidden!

Is there an equivalent documentary about people who led straight lives but were secretly gay and the personal conflict and torture THEY went through?

muppet

Quote from: J70 on December 21, 2016, 02:27:34 PM

Ok, I'm watching some of it. I also read a summary of it to get the jist:http://www.crisismagazine.com/2014/bounty-everlasting-hills-leaving-gay-life-behind

Is it really a surprise that some gay people are and have been conflicted about their homosexuality given the marginalization and condemnation of homosexuality by society in general and religious communities in particular? Especially for those who were brought up religiously? Christ, of all churches, the Catholic one lays on the guilt fairly thick. Even a casual w**k is forbidden!

Is there an equivalent documentary about people who led straight lives but were secretly gay and the personal conflict and torture THEY went through?

Most left-handers adapt and are able to do many things right-handed. Is this a secret admission that they are wrong?
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: muppet on December 21, 2016, 02:31:50 PM

Most left-handers adapt and are able to do many things right-handed. Is this a secret admission that they are wrong?

My aunt grew up in 50s Mayo and was forced by the nuns into writing right handed.

Interestingly, my auld fella grew up in Donegal around the same time but was allowed to keep his left-handedness, although he left school in his early teens.

Breakdown in the communication network from the hierarchy there somewhere!

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on December 21, 2016, 02:27:06 PM

I don't blame them.

There has long been a slant on marketing to portray men as inferior to women. Think of ads over the last 20 years where the couple always has a smart women and a dopey c*nt as the husband.

What's that got to do with camp guys? Also I'm not sure about the dopey husband thing. Ads for household stuff normally featured dopey husbands, because the women tend to buy those products more.  That's just demographics. Same as those betting ads featuring gorgeous young wans are appealing to young lads.

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on December 21, 2016, 02:31:50 PM

If you're left handed but use your right hand for a casual w**k does that cancel out the sin of having the w**k?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 21, 2016, 02:50:50 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 21, 2016, 02:27:06 PM

I don't blame them.

What's that got to do with camp guys? Also I'm not sure about the dopey husband thing. Ads for household stuff normally featured dopey husbands, because the women tend to buy those products more.  That's just demographics. Same as those betting ads featuring gorgeous young wans are appealing to young lads.

This is a real thing. Not just dopey husbands either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fwTtJZ6Db4&index=1&list=PLE8EBCB20AC614D6D&t=4s
MWWSI 2017

No wides

Quote from: J70 on December 21, 2016, 01:07:49 PM
Quote from: No wides on December 20, 2016, 10:23:22 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 20, 2016, 02:36:17 PM
Quote from: No wides on December 20, 2016, 02:32:30 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 20, 2016, 02:30:09 PM

I didn't say they couldn't.

You implied it.

"3. I brought up Down Syndrome, another set of traits that naturally affects a minority of people and which could affect someone's ability to procreate, just like homosexuality."

"Could affect" doesn't mean "can't".

So why did you bring up people with learning disabilities?

Its like talking to a wall with you. You say something five times, and it still doesn't permeate whatever barrier exists between your eyes and your brain.

Look up the word "analogy". Then go read Reply #138 on this thread. Its all there in black and white.

You insinuated people with learning disabilities can't have children, or maybe you used that analogy as you think they shouldn't, you then compared these people with learning disabilities somehow to homosexuals and transgenders, you are a nasty piece of work.