Head shop

Started by Declan, January 20, 2010, 05:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Wondering if anyone knows anything about these "establishments"?
From what I can tell they sell "alternatives" to illegal drugs etc.
Reason I ask is that they've opened up a shop in my village and there are obvious concerns around but I was looking for any further info anyone might have on them.

I've googled etc and there is limited enough info out there

Cheers in advance

Denn Forever

Have they not recently targeted legal highs?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8218688.stm

Text.

'Legal highs' set to be banned 
"Joey" describes the effects of the cannabis-like substance, Spice
Two so-called "party" drugs and a man-made cannabis substitute will be banned by the end of the year, the Home Office has announced.

At the moment, these "legal highs" are sold openly across the UK and on the internet, but ministers say they are an "emerging threat".

The two drugs, known as BZP and GBL, have been linked to a number of deaths.

Charity DrugScope said law alone was "a blunt instrument" and greater education was needed about the drugs' effects.

To that end, the Home Office said it would begin an awareness campaign in university freshers' weeks in September to highlight the dangers.

'Liquid ecstasy'

In May, a coroner in Sheffield linked BZP, also known as herbal ecstasy, to the death last year of 22-year-old mortgage broker Daniel Backhouse.

It is understood that Mr Backhouse had also taken ecstasy.

Hester Stewart, who was 21 and a medical student, died after taking GBL in Brighton. Both drugs would be classified as Class C.

Sussex University student Hester Stewart died after taking GBL
Hester Stewart's mother, Maryon, has campaigned for legal highs to be banned.

She told the BBC News Channel: "I'm delighted. I think the Home Office is moving in the right direction.

"We need to tell people that GBL plus alcohol can equal death. Hester hadn't had that much alcohol and then later on that evening an old friend of hers gave her half a dose of GBL which he said was safe.

"So the two mixed together just sent her into a coma and she didn't wake up.

FROM THE TODAY PROGRAMME

More from Today programme 
"She was studying molecular medicine but she was clearly unaware that it was dangerous and I think that is the key message to get across to young people, just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe."

The government wants to ban all cannabis substitutes made from man made chemicals called cannabinoids, which mimic the effects of marijuana. It is often sold under the name Spice for about £20. Cannabinoids would be controlled as a Class B drug, alongside cannabis.

The Home Secretary Alan Johnson said he was acting on advice from the government's Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs:

He said: "Legal highs are an emerging threat, particularly to young people, and we have a duty to educate them about the dangers.

The effects of GBL and BZP
"There is a perception that many of the so-called legal highs are harmless, however in some cases people can be ingesting dangerous industrial fluids or smoking chemicals that can be even more harmful than cannabis."

BZP and GBL would carry a prison term of up to two years for possession and 14 years for dealing.

GBL is taken as a substitute for the "date rape" drug GHB, which is already outlawed.

The Home Office says the GBL, originally an industrial solvent, can cause serious heart problems, vomiting, anxiety attacks, mood swings and seizures. BZP has been linked to similar conditions.

'Lumped together'

Martin Barnes, chief executive of DrugScope, said: "While we support the classification of substances such as GBL and BZP, the law alone is a blunt instrument.

LEGAL HIGHS
BZP was first trialled as a worming treatment for cattle, but never widely used as it caused fits in some animals
GBL is an industrial cleaner used to strip paint and remove graffiti and is taken in liquid form
Spice is a powerful herbal smoking mixture imported from China that gives a "cannabis-like" effect
"We have concerns that in lumping all these substances together as 'legal highs', the significant differences in the effects and potential harms might be hard for young people to identify.

"It is important that public information and education campaigns are comprehensive and ongoing."

Mr Barnes also said that while cannabis-substitute Spice should be controlled, there were questions over whether it should be a Class C or B drug.

"A review of the Misuse of Drugs Act was promised by the government in January 2006, but was subsequently dropped.

"Given the number of substances being made illegal under the Act with the likely prospect of more to come... it is even more important that the classification system is reviewed."

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Shamrock Shore

Liveline has done major work on this recently....some of the calls were from mammies whos children are getting into serious trouble with the shit that is legally on sale.

Do your best to get it closed Declan

Declan

Done some more investigation and I hear there was a bit on Liveline today alright. The loophole seems to be that all their products are labelled as "Not for human consumption"  yet they then go on to say how good the stuff is and what it does to you!!!

Anyway a pal of mine enquired about renting the exact same shop a couple of years ago and landlord was fussy about the type of business that they allowed in - obviously they've changed their mind.

So next call is to council and landlord

Tony Baloney

There is one of these kips in Armagh. Can't imagine they are bringing much good to any community they've set up in.

The Watcher Pat

Think there is also one in the In shops in Belfast.

Funny looking chinese man runs it.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Declan

Spent last night and this morning contacting local councillors and press but the landlady locked them out last night. Allegedly she had been told it was a clothes shop!! 

maximus

Irish Mail on Sunday had aricle at the weekend regarding these shops. Mentioned a hospital were in the last few months four females in their early 20s presented with severe mental disturbance. In examination of what tablets contained was basically illegal drugs with chemical groups added to exploit a loophole in the law. Government said they are to tackle the issue although at present they are doing nothing illegal regardless of the damage to those involved. 

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 20, 2010, 08:30:41 PM
There is one of these kips in Armagh. Can't imagine they are bringing much good to any community they've set up in.

Armagh City or County, Tony? With teenagers in the house it's useful to be aware of these types of places!
"Stercus accidit"

Hereiam

Dragging this old horse up again.
My good wife works in the mental health ends of things and she was telling me that these legal highs are really getting out of control. She says more and more young ones are coming in to her ward high as kites and are very dangerous to themselves and other members of staff. At the minute if someone arrives with legal highs on their possession the staff can only confiscate them but have to give them back when they leave which is ridiculous.
There was a whole uproar about these but nothing really has been done by our good leaders to tackle this problem.

StGallsGAA

Well if one opened in my town the proprietor wouldn't be long getting the message!