Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Deserves a thread of its own, one of the best ever
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

seafoid

With all the cat retirements it's like buy one, get one free 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Bord na Mona man

Kilkenny's best back of the Cody years. Maybe didn't get the same fan or media attention as others, but always went about his job in a very unfussed manner.

orangeman

This definitely is the end of an era.

Without doubt, one of the finest ever to have played the game. Could play anywhere and did. A warrior. A giant. A mighty man.

Thanks for all the memories. I can't help but thinking that KK will be on the wane. Jackie could be next ?.

nrico2006

I honestly can't see Kilkenny being far away next year because the old saying that there is lots of good hurlers in Kilkenny is true. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: orangeman on December 05, 2014, 11:38:47 AM

Without doubt, one of the finest ever to have played the game. Could play anywhere and did. A warrior. A giant. A mighty man.

Thanks for all the memories. I can't help but thinking that KK will be on the wane. Jackie could be next ?.

That's been said before! We'll see!

Along with Walsh, simply the greatest defender I've ever seen. Absolutely phenomenal. I await Premier Emperor's inevitable slander.

orangeman

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 05, 2014, 11:52:15 AM
I honestly can't see Kilkenny being far away next year because the old saying that there is lots of good hurlers in Kilkenny is true.

But how do you replace men like these ?.

If they do, they're better than I think they are. They might not be far away but getting back to the very top without these men will be tough.

orangeman

Quote from: gallsman on December 05, 2014, 12:00:07 PM
Quote from: orangeman on December 05, 2014, 11:38:47 AM

That's been said before! We'll see!

Along with Walsh, simply the greatest defender I've ever seen. Absolutely phenomenal. I await Premier Emperor's inevitable slander.

JJ was a defender in the purest sense. PE will refrain on this occasion I reckon.  ;)

Roashter

Delaney will be a huge loss to Kilkenny. He could easily have stayed on for another year or more.
Of all the retirements they have had, he will be the most sorely missed and I'm not sure if Kilkenny have a replacement earmarked to take over at full back.

Delaney will go down as one of the all time great defenders.

imtommygunn

Outstanding defender. Best performance in my view was the AI final against Cork where Ben O'Connor had ran riot for Cork all year and then when he marked JJ he could barely get a strike of the ball. Some of the flicks he did were phenomenal and the diving tackle in this years final was something you'll struggle to see the likes of again.

Always preferred him as a half back and always kind of felt he was plugging a hole at full back!

orangeman

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 05, 2014, 12:19:32 PM
Outstanding defender. Best performance in my view was the AI final against Cork where Ben O'Connor had ran riot for Cork all year and then when he marked JJ he could barely get a strike of the ball. Some of the flicks he did were phenomenal and the diving tackle in this years final was something you'll struggle to see the likes of again.

Always preferred him as a half back and always kind of felt he was plugging a hole at full back!

Ala Seamie Moynihan.

GalwayBayBoy

Of all the recent KK retirements this is one the one Cody will really miss.

theskull1

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 05, 2014, 03:21:01 PM
Of all the recent KK retirements this is one the one Cody will really miss.

+1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AZOffaly

Yep, he filled a Noel Hickey sized hole in that defense. Who's going to jump in there now? Jackie maybe?

johnneycool

Jackie for the big catching full forwards and Paul Murphy for the pacy ones, horses for courses with Cody.

JJ was an ideal fullback, a bit of pace, good hand, tidy hurler and good decision maker, played hurling when needed and knew when to do the blocking, hooking, skullduggery as well, a managers dream to have.