On the twenty-eighth day of November....

Started by The Hill is Blue, November 28, 2007, 10:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Donagh on November 29, 2007, 03:58:50 PM

The First Dáil ratified the Republic as declared in 1916 which again had no democratic mandate, so don't give me your Blueshirt bollicks about legitimate wars and democratic mandates.

The first Dáil had a democratic mandate (or is that just Blueshirt bollicks   ::) ).  It gave democratic legitimacy to the War of Independence and retrospectively to the 1916 Rising. No other "war" since then has had that legitimacy.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Donagh

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 29, 2007, 04:23:51 PM
Quote from: Donagh on November 29, 2007, 03:58:50 PM

The First Dáil ratified the Republic as declared in 1916 which again had no democratic mandate, so don't give me your Blueshirt bollicks about legitimate wars and democratic mandates.

The first Dáil had a democratic mandate (or is that just Blueshirt bollicks   ::) ).  It gave democratic legitimacy to the War of Independence and retrospectively to the 1916 Rising. No other "war" since then has had that legitimacy.

Listen to yourself man ffs - the 1916 Rising was honoured by having retrospective legitimacy bestowed on it at a later date.  Aye, that's a load of Blueshirt bollox, designed simply to reconcile modern liberal conscience and values with an unseemly violent past. Well if that's what's needed to hold your head high around polite West Brit dinner parties these days I'm glad of the unbroken northern lineage that tells us that the legitimacy of the 1916 Rising was based on foreign occupation and nothing else. James Connolly would have laughed you out of the GPO.

Hardy

Well done, Donagh. You managed to get both stock provo insults into that little tirade.

The incidence of "blueshirt" and "West Brit" in provo rants is always inversely proportional to how well the argument is going.

pintsofguinness

QuoteIn January 1919 Dáil Éireann, representing a clear majority of the Irish people, adopted a Declaration of Independence. That Declaration gave clear democratic legitimacy to the War of Independence.

Armed action in this country after that period has never had democratic legitimacy.

Or before it. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

red hander

Donagh

Quote from: Hardy on November 29, 2007, 05:59:02 PM
Well done, Donagh. You managed to get both stock provo insults into that little tirade.

The incidence of "blueshirt" and "West Brit" in provo rants is always inversely proportional to how well the argument is going.

And directly proportional to Hardyarse's appearances on a thread. I thought you had said your last already?

Hardy

I changed my mind. Now I've changed it again. You're doing fine by yourself!

Donagh

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Donagh on November 29, 2007, 04:44:42 PM

I'm glad of the unbroken northern lineage that tells us that the legitimacy of the 1916 Rising was based on foreign occupation and nothing else.

....the unbroken northern lineage?

Which lineage is that, Donagh?

The unbroken lineage that led to the Stickies? Or the one that led to the Provos? Or the unbroken lineage that gave us the INLA or the IPLO or the Real IRA or the Continuity IRA?

Who are the current guardians of the lineage?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Rossfan

Quote from: Donagh on November 29, 2007, 12:56:46 PM
[
That's grand Hardy, but you're missing one crucial fact, that 99% of the population had never heard of the IRA when they went to the polls in 1918,

It would have been difficult for them as I understand the term " Irish Republican Army" only came into usage after the first ever democratically elected Irish Parliament met in January 1919 to establish the Republic .
Sadly the British use of Violence and Terror prevented the Republic from ever getting established properly and we ended up settling for half a loaf.
Now that the Brits have agreed to only over rule the 6 Nth Eastern Counties till a majority of the locals see sense and say otherwise - the future of Ireland has to be worked out by the 5.8 million people who live here.
We cant turn the clock back to 1919 and start again just as Unionists cant go back to 1967 and continue as always.
So let's continue to remember the heroes of the past but let's live in the present and look to the future.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Evil Genius

Quote from: his holiness nb on November 29, 2007, 02:33:31 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on November 29, 2007, 02:25:29 PM
Following the Good Friday Agreement, when the Dail recognised British Rule in NI, dropped their "demand" and agreed to amend the Constitution to make Irish Unity a mere aspiration.

Oh, and the Shinners in the North [sic] finally recognised and accepted Partition, by agreeing to participate in the (British administered) Government of Northern Ireland, located in the "English Garrison" at Stormont.

Eighty-odd years and some thousands of lives late, but "better late than never", as the saying goes.  :(

EG, you would almost convince someone that SF have given up their goals of a united ireland   :D :D :D

No, not their goals, just their principles (not a complaint, btw)

"Not one ounce (of cashmere in my designer suit), or not one round (of golf, with my new-found friends on the Hill) will we give up, until Ireland is free (of VAT on Diesel)"
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Donagh

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 29, 2007, 07:46:36 PM

....the unbroken northern lineage?

Which lineage is that, Donagh?

The unbroken lineage that led to the Stickies? Or the one that led to the Provos? Or the unbroken lineage that gave us the INLA or the IPLO or the Real IRA or the Continuity IRA?

The one that stretches from my great grandfather to my father. All men who participated in armed insurrection and did time in British gaols for republican activities, but didn't need some wishy washy contrived Blueshirt bollox to bestow legitimacy on their actions.

Anyone still pledged to and working for the establishment of the Irish Republic.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Donagh on November 30, 2007, 08:48:39 AM

Anyone still pledged to and working for the establishment of the Irish Republic.

Thank you Donagh ...... then that includes me.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Hardy on November 29, 2007, 03:37:44 PM
If you're happy to let that be your last word, I have nothing to add. Let the people decide this one too, including who is the bearer of the chip.

(Dubnut - I was only joking, in case you've taken the hump).

Not at all Hardy I was offline, although just before the above I was wording a strongly written reply  ;)

I dont like the word "blueshirt" and dont use it.
Although people "defending" the IRA, or some aspects of them hardly constitutes provo "propaganda".
Its all about opinions on here, not propaganda.
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 30, 2007, 12:58:44 AM
EG, you would almost convince someone that SF have given up their goals of a united ireland   :D :D :D

No, not their goals, just their principles (not a complaint, btw)

"Not one ounce (of cashmere in my designer suit), or not one round (of golf, with my new-found friends on the Hill) will we give up, until Ireland is free (of VAT on Diesel)"
[/quote]

So they turn their back on violence and look to achieve their aims through peaceful methods, as this seems the most likely way to get a united ireland currently, and this is somehow giving up their principles??

Jesus I thought going the peaceful route was what everyone wanted, but you use it to ridicule them?

Makes absolutely no sense EG. They stick with violence and you calll them terrorists, they give up the violence and talk and you make fun for this reason.
You really dont like republicans at all do you?
Ask me holy bollix