Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HokeyPokey

I make it that since 2003 (17 years), Tyrone have only failed to make it to the quarter finals three times and have made nine semi
finals and four finals?

Goals_Will_Come

If yesterday showed anything it's that we need to keep Mattie in as close to goal as possible. Hes a real handful in there and is an excellent ball winner. It also takes some of the attention away from McShane which should free him up.
Could well be the last we see of Kennedy and HP McGeary for 2019 after yesterday's show.

Angelo

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on July 21, 2019, 01:48:07 PM
If yesterday showed anything it's that we need to keep Mattie in as close to goal as possible. Hes a real handful in there and is an excellent ball winner. It also takes some of the attention away from McShane which should free him up.
Could well be the last we see of Kennedy and HP McGeary for 2019 after yesterday's show.

If we could clone Mattie it would be great.

Think it might be harsh enough to drop Kennedy, Richie Donnelly was very poor yesterday when he came in. He made a number of handling errors and kicked some ball away too, he seems to struggle with the pace of Croke Park too.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

BennyHarp

Quote from: Angelo on July 21, 2019, 02:03:03 PM

Think it might be harsh enough to drop Kennedy, Richie Donnelly was very poor yesterday when he came in. He made a number of handling errors and kicked some ball away too, he seems to struggle with the pace of Croke Park too.

What I like about Ritchie is that he keeps trying the long pass. At times it doesn't pay off but he can unlock defences and if we are playing 2 up top we need someone who can move the ball forward more quickly.
That was never a square ball!!

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 21, 2019, 02:14:46 PM
Quote from: Angelo on July 21, 2019, 02:03:03 PM

What I like about Ritchie is that he keeps trying the long pass. At times it doesn't pay off but he can unlock defences and if we are playing 2 up top we need someone who can move the ball forward more quickly.
Personally I thought Richie had a positive impact on the game yesterday. Few things didn't come off for him, but he helped improve things after the break. Was certainly more effective than Kennedy.
In saying that I would have question marks over whether he can do a full 70 minutes.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Agree, in that I also thought that Richie shook things up -- caused the Cork defence issues, even if his efforts weren't always successful.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

trueblue1234

Funny old game. I thought Richie was poor when he came on. Lost a few balls with wayward passes. That said I think we're struggling for a stand out partner for Cavanagh (Who's been below par himself) so wouldn't be surprised to see him start against Dublin.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

square_ball

I like Richie think he offers plenty. As someone said he's always looking the high risk pass which in the era of safety plus and passing the responsibility to a man beside you, it's a refreshing approach. I wouldn't be surprised to see the team that started the 2nd half start the all Ireland semi final.

Angelo

The problem with Richie is that he struggles with the pace. The Donegal game was a prime example. He got absolutely burned by Ban Gallagher for the Brennan goal. He's a lovely footballer, can pick a pass, plays with his head up and score off either foot.

He always plays well during the winter when the ground is soft but I think he will get found out in Croke Park against the top teams.

Kennedy is getting a bit of criticism but I think there were only a handful of players who could have got pass marks in that first half - Harte, Meyler and McNamee were probably the only 3.

I'd  hope we run the fringe players our against Dublin, let a few state their claim and keep our cards close to our chest in case we meet them again.

square_ball

To be fair to him he was carrying an injury in the last few matches last year which required surgery and has been injured on and off over the last few years too. I don't think he's overly pacy but to be honest I'd rather him in the team than Kennedy. I don't think Kennedy is ready but he'll come good in the years to come.

I still think the squad is too light. If for example Hampsey, Donnelly and Cassidy come in for the semi final who are we left with at the 20 minute to go mark to make an impact? McCurry, McAliskey, Coney? Doesn't fill me with confidence that they'd drag us over the line.

sidelineball

Good comeback from the lads yesterday.
Kennedy has all the tools to be great and I think he'll get there just young and a little timid at times. Hugh Pat has had a very solid year, he's been harshly hooked a few times and is always put on the dangermen so often has the toughest job. We've been very open through the middle since Hampsey hasn't been fully fit so HP's men usually get on the end of the move as he goes to stop the onrushing player

Angelo

Quote from: sidelineball on July 21, 2019, 10:44:56 PM
Good comeback from the lads yesterday.
Kennedy has all the tools to be great and I think he'll get there just young and a little timid at times. Hugh Pat has had a very solid year, he's been harshly hooked a few times and is always put on the dangermen so often has the toughest job. We've been very open through the middle since Hampsey hasn't been fully fit so HP's men usually get on the end of the move as he goes to stop the onrushing player

I think HP has been solid this year and I'd have had my doubts about him in the past. I think the analysis on the Sunday game showed the problems in the first half. I think we had some players haring around the pitch like Colm Cavanagh getting attracted to the ball and others passively jogging around the place and letting guys run off them. For that sort of defensive system to be successful there  has to be intensity and cohesion with it and it was far from there in the first half. Cork were clever as well to that respect and held onto the ball very well.

I think Hugh Pat was one of the natural choices to come off when we were chasing the game in the second half but I don't think he was particurlarly bad, I don't think Kennedy was either. Felt McCurry really struggled though. Frank Burns and McKernan both have a tendency to switch off to the danger around them and both get drawn to the ball easily. Burns got caught out for the goal against Kildare and McKernan was caught out for one of them against Cork.

Fuzzman

Yeah would agree with a lot of what was said above but especially that Kennedy has really been given a lot of chances this year to develop and whilst I thought he played very well in spoiling Fenton's game v Dublin in the league, he hasn't really done a lot to impress me. Yes it's important to give him loads of chances to develop but coming into the last 4 of an All Ireland you want your best 15 on the field and for me he's far too soft and nice for the size of him. He could learn a lot from Colm C, who I think hasn't quite reached the levels he had last year either at MF or as a sweeper. I know I'm being critical now but he seems to be a bit rash much more this year in when to come out of the D and be over enthusiastic to make a big tackle and so men can time a run in behind him then into the space he's just left. I even wonder did Cork practice that for their second goal on Saturday.

I read last week we have conceded 17 goals in 18 games over the last 2 years, which seems high for such a defensive minded team. I think it's to do with zonal marking sometimes or as someone said above a few players turning off and not following the runner. We've seen that time and time again this year and for me it's why we are conceding so many goals. Can't understand how Mickey thinks Kernan is better than Cassidy. I can't see much he's done wrong this year to lose his place and with Tiernan back now I wouldn't be surprised to see Tiernan start both next matches if fully fit.

McNamee has had a good year though I still thing he can be a little easily turned at times. You would imagine HP will lose out to Hampsey if he's back to himself. Rory B has looked quite solid most of the year and seems to have finally nailed down a place.

I was at the Kerry v Donegal game yesterday and if I'm honest I thought BOTH were playing at a higher level to us and I can't see us beating either if we dont move up to the next level. However, saying that we've played a lot of football in the last 8 weeks and so maybe the 2 week break will be what we needed.
I think if we continue to start so slowly against the bigger teams we will not be able to get back into the game like we did last weekend.

Re Richie, I think he's vital for hitting good passes into McShane and hopefully from here on in Mattie too.
Mattie looked really pumped up in the second half and showed a lot more leadership than I've seen from him before. McShane was well marshalled yet he still scored 1.05 like Petey so these three lads need to be kept well up the field and at the end of moves.
Sludden and Burns had another quiet enough game I thought and you wonder why can't they reach their full potential more often. Again could be tiredness.

I know I sound negative but I really don't think we're good enough to beat Kerry in the semi so rather than this idea of resting players I'd be all on for going all out to bed the Dubs in Omagh and make a bold statement that this team is beatable away from their home luxuries. Even if it is their B team but I can't see that happening tbh.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 22, 2019, 04:11:37 PM
Yeah would agree with a lot of what was said above but especially that Kennedy has really been given a lot of chances this year to develop and whilst I thought he played very well in spoiling Fenton's game v Dublin in the league, he hasn't really done a lot to impress me. Yes it's important to give him loads of chances to develop but coming into the last 4 of an All Ireland you want your best 15 on the field and for me he's far too soft and nice for the size of him. He could learn a lot from Colm C, who I think hasn't quite reached the levels he had last year either at MF or as a sweeper. I know I'm being critical now but he seems to be a bit rash much more this year in when to come out of the D and be over enthusiastic to make a big tackle and so men can time a run in behind him then into the space he's just left. I even wonder did Cork practice that for their second goal on Saturday.

I read last week we have conceded 17 goals in 18 games over the last 2 years, which seems high for such a defensive minded team. I think it's to do with zonal marking sometimes or as someone said above a few players turning off and not following the runner. We've seen that time and time again this year and for me it's why we are conceding so many goals. Can't understand how Mickey thinks Kernan is better than Cassidy. I can't see much he's done wrong this year to lose his place and with Tiernan back now I wouldn't be surprised to see Tiernan start both next matches if fully fit.

McNamee has had a good year though I still thing he can be a little easily turned at times. You would imagine HP will lose out to Hampsey if he's back to himself. Rory B has looked quite solid most of the year and seems to have finally nailed down a place.

I was at the Kerry v Donegal game yesterday and if I'm honest I thought BOTH were playing at a higher level to us and I can't see us beating either if we dont move up to the next level. However, saying that we've played a lot of football in the last 8 weeks and so maybe the 2 week break will be what we needed.
I think if we continue to start so slowly against the bigger teams we will not be able to get back into the game like we did last weekend.

Re Richie, I think he's vital for hitting good passes into McShane and hopefully from here on in Mattie too.
Mattie looked really pumped up in the second half and showed a lot more leadership than I've seen from him before. McShane was well marshalled yet he still scored 1.05 like Petey so these three lads need to be kept well up the field and at the end of moves.
Sludden and Burns had another quiet enough game I thought and you wonder why can't they reach their full potential more often. Again could be tiredness.

I know I sound negative but I really don't think we're good enough to beat Kerry in the semi so rather than this idea of resting players I'd be all on for going all out to bed the Dubs in Omagh and make a bold statement that this team is beatable away from their home luxuries. Even if it is their B team but I can't see that happening tbh.

Err seems a little extreme.....
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Fuzzman

Ooops
That was a genuine mistake and not a wind up for those who know me?  ;)

A lot of Dubs I have been talking to where really looking forward to this trip again this year.
Would be nice to beat the AI champs twice or even three times in the one year.  ;D