Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: wee scully on January 04, 2018, 08:53:27 PM
Has the U-20 management team been ratified by the county committee ?

No!! But that's the County Board, they make the decisions County Committee are just yes men.
Living the dream!!!

Fuzzman

Tyroneman, explain "so hopefully there will be a few new wrinkles come business  time " re SoN

WT4E

No one from Fr Rocks for trials. Whats happened the townies?

tyroneman

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 05, 2018, 02:01:51 PM
Tyroneman, explain "so hopefully there will be a few new wrinkles come business  time " re SoN

Fairly straightforward.....there has been a lot of talk about how Dublin easily defeated the blanket defence in the AISF and how we are often left short in the forward line in the biggest games. To myself and those with me at the games, this definately seemed to be the case.

MH has been clear that he doesn't think he needs to abandon the entire system but that there would be some adjustments made. We can score plenty against most other teams, but just seem to fall short against Mayo, Dublin (and Kerry to a lesser extent) so we need to adjust our attacking strategy somewhere, especially when plan A doesn't work and we go 3-4 points down against one of thse sides.

I'm hoping that with one of Tyrone's best ever fowards on board coaching he will be able to help idenfity some ways to improve the forward units play such that we have a little more firepower and are not as easily nullified when (if) we play Mayo / Dublin again in the Championship.

I don't expect us to reveal our full tactical hand in the McKenna cup or even the early stages of the NFL, hence the 'new wrinkles' in our tactics coming out towards the business end.....

TL:DR - SoN will hopefully help us refine and improve our forward play and we will see the results in summertime.

In hiding

Quote from: tyroneman on January 05, 2018, 02:21:45 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on January 05, 2018, 02:01:51 PM

Fairly straightforward.....there has been a lot of talk about how Dublin easily defeated the blanket defence in the AISF and how we are often left short in the forward line in the biggest games. To myself and those with me at the games, this definately seemed to be the case.

MH has been clear that he doesn't think he needs to abandon the entire system but that there would be some adjustments made. We can score plenty against most other teams, but just seem to fall short against Mayo, Dublin (and Kerry to a lesser extent) so we need to adjust our attacking strategy somewhere, especially when plan A doesn't work and we go 3-4 points down against one of thse sides.

I'm hoping that with one of Tyrone's best ever fowards on board coaching he will be able to help idenfity some ways to improve the forward units play such that we have a little more firepower and are not as easily nullified when (if) we play Mayo / Dublin again in the Championship.

I don't expect us to reveal our full tactical hand in the McKenna cup or even the early stages of the NFL, hence the 'new wrinkles' in our tactics coming out towards the business end.....

TL:DR - SoN will hopefully help us refine and improve our forward play and we will see the results in summertime.

Smoke and mirrors !!
Bring in Son to refine and improve our forward play ?
Mickey is brilliant at creating smokescreens and continually talking about improving the way we play.
It is impossible to improve our forward play without changing the way Tyrone play as a unit. Unless Mickey decides to commit a few more men into the forwards or leave forwards in place to stop opposition backs from strolling out with the ball then SoN role will be futile. 12 months ago we heard the arguments that had we taken our chances against Mayo we would have beat them, now we are hearing that had we not conceded a poor goal against Dublin we would have been really close to winning. I don't believe we will change much on the field. I fear that this time next year Mickey will bring in Brian Mc Guigan or someone similar and tell us all that we are so close and only need to tweak a few things before winning Sam again. Fundamentally the best teams will use width and patience to play through our blanket and when dropping back is your only way to defend it is very hard to close a gap if you fall behind.
Watching with great anticipation for Mickeys next tactical masterclass,
Yours faithfully ,
In hiding

Goals_Will_Come

Team to play St Marys in Coalisland on Sunday

1. Mickey O'Neill – Cluain Eo
2. Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin
3. Cathal McCarron – Baile Atha
4. Michael Cassidy – Ard Bó
5. Ciaran McLaughlin – An Ómaigh
6. Ronan McNabb – An Droim Mhór
7. Peter Harte (C) – Aireagal Chiaráin
8. Ben McDonnell – Aireagal Chiaráin
9. Declan McClure – Cluain Eo
10. Richard Donnelly – Trí Leac
11. Conal McCann – Coill an Chlochair
12. Kieran McGeary – Cabhán a'Chaortainn
13. Ronan O'Neill – An Ómaigh
14. Ronan McHugh – Achadh Uí Aráin
15. Connor McAliskey – Cluain Eo

Niall Morgan – Éadan na dTorc
Lee Brennan – Trí Leac
Brendan Burns – Cabhán a'Chaortainn
Frank Burns – Cabhán a'Chaortainn
Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac
Pádraig Hampsey – Oileán a'Ghuail
Tiarnan McCann – Coill an Chlochair
Hugh Pat McGeary – Cabhán a'Chaortainn
Michael McKernan – Oileán a'Ghuail
Cathal McShane – E. R. Uí Néill
Niall Sludden – An Droim Mhór

southtyronegael

any reports from todays game? who played well?

Jim Bob

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 07, 2018, 10:20:52 PM

Mickey played a blinder on the line. How did Fermanagh do?

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 07, 2018, 10:20:52 PM

I tend not to give you a hard time, I try and respect opinions but if you cared about the game that much you would have been there.

Coalisland was a great venue, I thought. 3,000 attendance well managed. Credit to the Fianna club.
Living the dream!!!

Fuzzman

What's the early thoughts about Tyrone new lads pushing through this year?
Will we see Richie Donnelly become a regular if he can stay fit. Big IF I agree.
Will Lee Brennan finally become a regular this season? Is he considered too small or not as hard working as young Mulgrew? Has he a big year ahead of him?

Will Meyler be better suited in the half back this year like he was played in St Mary's or will he be in and out of the team like before?

Who is this McLaughlin lad from Omagh? Age? Size? Best position?
Also Ben McDonnell? Any good? Was I sitting beside him at the All stars? Very young lad up for MF prize?

Are ye all expecting Frank Burns to become a regular this season along with the two McGearys. From the outside looking in there certainly seems to be plenty of options fighting to get onto the starting 15 and I'm looking forward to the first league game in Galway.

Il Bomber Destro

There are some interesting prospects there.

I'd like to see some change in the full back line, I think we need more natural man markers there so chance for the likes of McKernan, HP McGeary, Cassidy and Burns to make a claim.

Ronan McHugh seems to have done reasonably well scoring rise in his run outs so far, looks like he might still have a bit of filling out to do but he's the only natural inside man we have around the 6ft mark.

I hope we will be more inclined to give a few of the lads who were on the periphery last year more of a run out this year. The likes of Cassidy, HP McGeary, Lee Brennan, McHugh need to get some game time in the league to adequately assess them. It would also be good to see if Rory Brennan, Richie Donnelly, McNabb and Meyler can shake off these niggly injuries they seem to be constantly carrying.

Loughran will be another good option when Moy conclude their club year.

For the league opener against Galway I think I'd like to see something along the following lines:

1. Morgan
2. McKernan
3. McCarron
4. Cassidy
5. T McCann
6. Hampsey
7. K McGeary
8. McNulty
9. McClure
10. M Donnelly
11. Sludden
12. F Burns
13. L Brennan
14. McHugh
15. McAliskey

In hiding

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 08, 2018, 09:13:58 AM

I'd like to see some change in the full back line, I think we need more natural man markers there so chance for the likes of McKernan, HP McGeary, Cassidy and Burns to make a claim.

Ronan McHugh seems to have done reasonably well scoring rise in his run outs so far, looks like he might still have a bit of filling out to do but he's the only natural inside man we have around the 6ft mark.

I hope we will be more inclined to give a few of the lads who were on the periphery last year more of a run out this year. The likes of Cassidy, HP McGeary, Lee Brennan, McHugh need to get some game time in the league to adequately assess them. It would also be good to see if Rory Brennan, Richie Donnelly, McNabb and Meyler can shake off these niggly injuries they seem to be constantly carrying.

For the league opener against Galway I think I'd like to see something along the following lines:

1. Morgan
2. McKernan
3. McCarron
4. Cassidy
5. T McCann
6. Hampsey
7. K McGeary
8. McNulty
9. McClure
10. M Donnelly
11. Sludden
12. F Burns
13. L Brennan
14. McHugh
15. McAliskey

No Peter Harte or Aiden Mc Crory !!

Will they be away skiing ?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: In hiding on January 08, 2018, 09:22:14 AM

1. Morgan
2. McKernan
3. McCarron
4. Cassidy
5. T McCann
6. Hampsey
7. K McGeary
8. McNulty
9. McClure
10. M Donnelly
11. Sludden
12. F Burns
13. L Brennan
14. McHugh
15. McAliskey

No Peter Harte or Aiden Mc Crory !!

Will they be away skiing ?

Harte has been very flexible with players plans.

Conor Meyler missed the 2015 game with Meath as he had a trip away organised before being called into the senior side.
McCarron missed the 2015 game with Sligo due to his brother's wedding.
McCann and McNamee have missed starts of McKenna Cup games due to trips to Australia.
Etc

chieftain

1. Morgan
2. McKernan
3. McCarron
4. Cassidy
5. T McCann
6. Hampsey
7. K McGeary
8. McNulty
9. McClure
10. M Donnelly
11. Sludden
12. F Burns
13. L Brennan
14. McHugh
15. McAliskey

Be a decent tyrone team when peter harte isnt in your first 15.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: chieftain on January 08, 2018, 09:48:39 AM

1. Morgan
2. McKernan
3. McCarron
4. Cassidy
5. T McCann
6. Hampsey
7. K McGeary
8. McNulty
9. McClure
10. M Donnelly
11. Sludden
12. F Burns
13. L Brennan
14. McHugh
15. McAliskey

Be a decent tyrone team when peter harte isnt in your first 15.

It's obviously in the way of experimentation. I don't think we did enough last season in the league and as such there are a number of players on our panel we don't know enough about. The established players like Harte, Donnelly, McCann, Sludden should all be given a rest at some part of the league this season. You don't see Kerry, Mayo or Dublin starting all their best players throughout the league. I think Colm Cavanagh's absence could be a blessing in disguise as he is such an important player we have to learn how to cope without him, what if he picks an injury or suspension before a big game, gets a black card during a big game, what do we do then?