Paraic Duffy to Stand Down

Started by AZOffaly, October 11, 2017, 01:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: sid waddell on October 12, 2017, 05:54:53 PM
The evidence that my eyes have seen tells me attendances have risen considerably this year, under the exact same format as last year.

But that won't suit the agenda of some.
Probably due to Mayos more than expected games than anything else if that is the case. As Zulu said above Mayo fans went in huge numbers to their qualifiers as they believed in them but what happens when Mayo eventually go into decline and are faced with number of years of transition? The view is the Mayo support was always great which is not true as you only have to go back to 2011 to know less that huge numbers turned up for Mayo games then. 

Syferus

The evidence that my eyes have seen tells me attendances have risen considerably this year, under the exact same format as last year.

It wouldn't suit the agenda of you to point out the replays this year either.

Quote from: Rossfan on October 12, 2017, 05:53:46 PM
Darkest point in GAA history????
FFS is that "history" since you were born or what?
Read the actual history of  the GAA sometime.
1890s were pretty dark ;)

Are you deliberately misquoting me, or did you actually manage to misread what was said?

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on October 12, 2017, 05:41:15 PM
Zulu sees a chart that shows attendances continue to fall even as the economy is nearly fully recovered from the recession (so one cannot write it off as outside factors at play) and still holds fast to his position the Super 8 wasn't entirely a device to paper over a crack that is more of a chasm now. In 2018 whoever replaces Duffy will release a press release advertising a rise in attendances and revenue, which will then be trumpeted on the back page of the Indo and Times, everyone happy to pretend everything is rosy as a hollow few Euro are added to the bank balance in the short term.

Zulu's beloved Dublin may be sweeping up all before them, but the rest of us are losing interest even bothering to attend, nevermind actually play. Duffy has left the GAA at one of the darkest points in its history and has contributed handsomely to that position - you can't even make a point he was a neutral force in reaching his situation of haves and have nots and a general public whose interest has long been on the wane.

You'll be due another feed soon so that'll give the rest of us the opportunity to discuss as adults for a while. Once your mother brings your wind up you might even doze off for the night and we'll have a full nights peace.

There are more factors than the economy that feed into attendances but the rest of us know that.

Zulu

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 12, 2017, 06:09:05 PM

Probably due to Mayos more than expected games than anything else if that is the case. As Zulu said above Mayo fans went in huge numbers to their qualifiers as they believed in them but what happens when Mayo eventually go into decline and are faced with number of years of transition? The view is the Mayo support was always great which is not true as you only have to go back to 2011 to know less that huge numbers turned up for Mayo games then.

Yes, Mayo contributed but if Meath, Kildare or Armagh for example start to go better there could easily be a significant increase with or without Mayo.

Sticking to the topic, Duffy has done a lot of very good things and it's ridiculous for lads who wouldn't know half of what he does or how he does it to roundly criticise him for managing the natural growth of the GAA.

sid waddell

Quote from: Syferus on October 12, 2017, 06:11:59 PM

It wouldn't suit the agenda of you to point out the replays this year either.

There was a replay in the All-Ireland football final last year.

There was a replay in the All-Ireland hurling semi-final last year.

There was a replay in the All-Ireland football semi-final in 2015.

And 2014.

There was a replay in the All-Ireland hurling final in 2014.

And 2013.

And 2012.

All-Ireland football semi-final attendances - up.
All-Ireland hurling semi-final attendances - up.
All-Ireland football quarter-final attendances - up.
All-Ireland hurling quarter-final attendances - up.
Provincial championship attendances - up.
Qualifier attendances - up.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Zulu on October 12, 2017, 06:20:09 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 12, 2017, 06:09:05 PM

Yes, Mayo contributed but if Meath, Kildare or Armagh for example start to go better there could easily be a significant increase with or without Mayo.

Sticking to the topic, Duffy has done a lot of very good things and it's ridiculous for lads who wouldn't know half of what he does or how he does it to roundly criticise him for managing the natural growth of the GAA.
It is part of the topic though as Duffy was the director of operations as attendances dropped and the super 8 is his idea which will only be a short time fix to rise those attendances. If Meath,Kildare and Armagh and other counties like them go 3 years without reaching the super 8 the gap between them and top teams will only increase.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on October 12, 2017, 06:16:42 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 12, 2017, 05:41:15 PM
Zulu sees a chart that shows attendances continue to fall even as the economy is nearly fully recovered from the recession (so one cannot write it off as outside factors at play) and still holds fast to his position the Super 8 wasn't entirely a device to paper over a crack that is more of a chasm now. In 2018 whoever replaces Duffy will release a press release advertising a rise in attendances and revenue, which will then be trumpeted on the back page of the Indo and Times, everyone happy to pretend everything is rosy as a hollow few Euro are added to the bank balance in the short term.

Zulu's beloved Dublin may be sweeping up all before them, but the rest of us are losing interest even bothering to attend, nevermind actually play. Duffy has left the GAA at one of the darkest points in its history and has contributed handsomely to that position - you can't even make a point he was a neutral force in reaching his situation of haves and have nots and a general public whose interest has long been on the wane.

You'll be due another feed soon so that'll give the rest of us the opportunity to discuss as adults for a while. Once your mother brings your wind up you might even doze off for the night and we'll have a full nights peace.

There are more factors than the economy that feed into attendances but the rest of us know that.

The irony of how childish a post this is is probably lost on you..

Rossfan

Quote from: johnneycool on October 12, 2017, 04:09:01 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 12, 2017, 03:42:20 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on October 12, 2017, 01:54:58 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 12, 2017, 10:58:32 AM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/the-best-sports-administrator-by-some-distance-460748.html

Compared to Nicky Brennan, my ma is a better sports administrator FFS!
So what did Nicky Brennan do wrong?
The man was a top dog in the very successful Glanbia.

Good adult  debate Sid and the 2 Midlands bucks.
Could I ask AZ and Shark how they'd solve what they see as problems between Club/County  or do to rectify what they see as wrongs all instigated by Duffy ( who must be the subject of envious  glances from Kim Jong Un) and/or the Top brass in HQ???

Is Glanbia a sports organisation?
He'd know a biteen about running a big organisation.
He was Chairman of Kilkenny Co Board and of Leinster and Uachtarán CLG.
I'd say he just might know a little more than your mother about Sports administration.
And also managed Kilkenny footballers! !!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tonto1888

Was there as much hooha about dublin playing heir home games at CP between 1996 and 2010?

Syferus

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 12, 2017, 07:23:07 PM
Was there as much hooha about dublin playing heir home games at CP between 1996 and 2010?

Eh? That's been a point of contention long before Dublin started hoovering up AIs. Weird thing to try to point to.

sid waddell

All three of them?

I suppose the GAA would have been better off without those 218,000 spectators coming through the gates of Croke Park for those three games, and the resulting money generated.

Far too elitist.

Would have been much better if they had been played in front of a cumulative 27,000 in Parnell Park.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: sid waddell on October 12, 2017, 12:41:07 PM
Well, if it's not complicated, surely you could tell us?

I was going bother... but after skimming through the rest of the thread decided you just aren't worth the effort and aren't taking on board anything anyone else has said. That said, I'll say a few words then leave you to it. Your obviously pretty desperate to have the last word with the others and I don't care enough to ensure otherwise.

Put simply, if you erode the foundations of any structure, it'll fall. Clubs, more precisely all the people that put so much of their own time into clubs, are the foundations of the GAA.

You can concentrate on the penthouse suites on the top floor - but it'll will reach a point where the rewards to the few piss off the many - and at that point the whole damn shebang could collapse.

- Clubs need consistent fixtures from April - Sept. Folks need to be able to plan work around it, plan holidays around it, get on with their home life around it. Maybe your life is such that you have relatively a lot of free time so are flexible if a game was moved back a night or to next week - others aren't necessarily in that position.
- County players are retiring ever earlier due to the training regimes they need to commit to.
- Dual players are on a hiding to nothing.

If Croke Park were allowed to change/make one rule and one rule alone - I'd recommend that it be simple; no club games can be moved or postponed to aid the intercounty team(s), and players cannot be prevented from playing in these fixtures.

If you think Paraic Duffy and those around him have not got a massive influence on what happens in congress then you are blind. We've seen in the past with well publicised cases back in the early 2000s how the administration at the top can block motions ever coming to the floor, never mind shaping the debate.
i usse an speelchekor

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on October 12, 2017, 07:56:07 PM

Eh? That's been a point of contention long before Dublin started hoovering up AIs. Weird thing to try to point to.

It was a question. Not pointing to anything. I ask because it's only in the last couple of years that I have noticed it. That's not saying it didn't happen as I I've been living away for a long time until recently. Hence the question

tonto1888

Quote from: sid waddell on October 12, 2017, 08:11:27 PM
All three of them?

I suppose the GAA would have been better off without those 218,000 spectators coming through the gates of Croke Park for those three games, and the resulting money generated.

Far too elitist.

Would have been much better if they had been played in front of a cumulative 27,000 in Parnell Park.

You have lost me with this

sid waddell

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 12, 2017, 09:00:02 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 12, 2017, 12:41:07 PM
Well, if it's not complicated, surely you could tell us?

I was going bother... but after skimming through the rest of the thread decided you just aren't worth the effort and aren't taking on board anything anyone else has said. That said, I'll say a few words then leave you to it. Your obviously pretty desperate to have the last word with the others and I don't care enough to ensure otherwise.
This is a discussion forum. It was a simple question.

Put simply, if you erode the foundations of any structure, it'll fall. Clubs, more precisely all the people that put so much of their own time into clubs, are the foundations of the GAA.
How is Padraic Duffy "eroding the foundations" of the GAA? This is one of these vague and vacuous claims that is often put out with no evidence to back it up.

You can concentrate on the penthouse suites on the top floor - but it'll will reach a point where the rewards to the few piss off the many - and at that point the whole damn shebang could collapse.
What "rewards"? The "rewards" for who?

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 12, 2017, 09:00:02 PM- Clubs need consistent fixtures from April - Sept. Folks need to be able to plan work around it, plan holidays around it, get on with their home life around it. Maybe your life is such that you have relatively a lot of free time so are flexible if a game was moved back a night or to next week - others aren't necessarily in that position.
You say clubs need fixtures. Well, why don't the clubs play those fixtures? Simple solution - if you want games, you play the fixtures regardless of what players are available. They're called league games. If clubs won't play them, they are to blame for lack of fixtures.

The GAA is bringing in a system that will give greater certainty and greater time as regards fixtures but the facility already exists for counties to give more certainty as regards club championship. You have a window in April/May to play club championship. You can do that and carry on when your county's involvement in the championship is over, or you can wait until the county is out of the championship to start your club championship.

But if counties want to continue to engage in the fool's game of scheduling club championship games, which may or may not happen, in the gaps between inter-county championship games which may or may not materialise, that's their choice, and their to choice look like fools when those games can't be played, and their fault when players are left scratching the their holes.

- County players are retiring ever earlier due to the training regimes they need to commit to.
Are they? The evidence would suggest not.

Andy Moran, Stephen Cluxton and David Clarke are three of the four nominees for Footballer of the Year. All are at least 34.

Add in the numerous players 30 or over in this year's or last year's All-Ireland finals, such as Keith Higgins, Colm Boyle, Seamus O'Shea, Paul Flynn, Bernard Brogan, Philly McMahon, Diarmuid Connolly, Kevin McManamon, Chris Barrett, Ger Cafferkey, Michael Darragh McAuley, Denis Bastick and Alan Dillon.

Kerry were still relying on Kieran Donaghy and Donnacha Walsh this year. Kerry in this decade have been like Dad's Army, they've had so many players over 30. Tyrone relied on Colm and Sean Cavanagh this year. Donnacha O'Connor is Corks best forward at 36.

- Dual players are on a hiding to nothing.
When have they not been?

The era of the dual player at inter-county level didn't die out recently, it died out in the 90s.

Brian Corcoran and Sean Og O'hAilpin tried it and both gave it up pretty quickly. And the dual player at inter-county level was never much of a thing before then anyway.

At club level, Slaughtneil are Ulster senior champions in hurling and football with a load of dual players. The star player in last season's All-Ireland club hurling championship is better known as a footballer. Ballyboden won the club football All-Ireland with several dual players. Diarmuid Connolly is currently plugging away hurling with his club.

If Croke Park were allowed to change/make one rule and one rule alone - I'd recommend that it be simple; no club games can be moved or postponed to aid the intercounty team(s), and players cannot be prevented from playing in these fixtures.
Yeah, see how you get on with that one.

Club championship games have always been moved or postponed to aid county teams.

Do you know when the Derry county final in 1993 was played? I wonder can Joe Brolly remember the date? It was on December 26th. But this is a "new" problem, apparently.

If you think Paraic Duffy and those around him have not got a massive influence on what happens in congress then you are blind. We've seen in the past with well publicised cases back in the early 2000s how the administration at the top can block motions ever coming to the floor, never mind shaping the debate.
Of course Duffy has a major influence. He's the chief executive of the GAA. He's paid to lead the organisation.

The fact is that every change to championship formats is voted on by delegates, who represent counties and grass roots. Again, if people are not happy with what these people are voting for, they can vote to get rid of them and elect new people.

You appear to be ignoring the impetus for change that has come from within every sector of the GAA as regards the championship formats - the players, the GAA public and indeed the clubs.

The GAA has to evolve or it will die. A lot of people apparently don't want it to evolve.