Paraic Duffy to Stand Down

Started by AZOffaly, October 11, 2017, 01:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Completely agree with LoneShark and AZ on this. I didn't have to time to get involved earlier but they've made the relevant points. Inter county is great but it's only the cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake. We should never, ever lose sight of that but I believe we have and that drift has sped up under Duffy's watch.

Getting kids playing the games is a far bigger barometer of success than attendance but the falling attendances are due to the football championship in particular becoming more and more meaningless bar or the Ulster teams and 5 or 6 others. Meaningless a bit strong perhaps but they're losing some of their appeal as we storm towards semi professionalism.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owenmoresider

QuoteInterestingly, there are two references to business and commercial acumen.

"Strong experience of financial management and commercial acumen," is listed as the fourth requirement while the final one states that applicants must have "third-level, business-related qualification (min Level 8NFQ)".
Sounds like it's being teed up for McKenna so.

Seany

yellowcard

McKenna will not get this job, the potential public outcry and bad PR will see to that.

Rossfan

The public won't give a tuppenny fcuk and how would it be bad PR?
Don't know anything about the chap though.
I presume Costello isn't in the running given his spoiled child whinge of a report to the Dublind Convention.
Liam Sheedy?

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: yellowcard on December 20, 2017, 12:36:05 AM
McKenna will not get this job, the potential public outcry and bad PR will see to that.

No - cannot give it to another Longford man so soon after Liam Mulvihill.

My quiet money is on Liam Sheedy.............

AZOffaly

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 20, 2017, 09:04:40 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on December 20, 2017, 12:36:05 AM

No - cannot give it to another Longford man so soon after Liam Mulvihill.

My quiet money is on Liam Sheedy.............

There's been quite a few whispers about that alright.

Syferus

LooseCannon

Quote from: Syferus on December 20, 2017, 04:51:53 PM
What's Sheedy's background?
Works with BOI, or at least he did at one point.

Captain Scarlet

Has anyone mentioned Pat Gilroy here?
Christ, he built up a multi-million euro company. He managed a team to an All Ireland win and he is back in Ireland again full time.
I don't think there are many agin the man either. He always strikes me as decent and the fact he stopped that clapping to the Hill pre-match from the Dubs shows he isn't into BS.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on December 20, 2017, 05:23:38 PM
Christ, he built up a multi-million euro company. He managed a team to an All Ireland win and he is back in Ireland again full time.
I don't think there are many agin the man either. He always strikes me as decent and the fact he stopped that clapping to the Hill pre-match from the Dubs shows he isn't into BS.

Yes, stopping a team clapping at supporters is a really salient point for the position of director-general of the GAA.

Rossfan

Up to Pat to apply whether we mention him here or not.
I presume our thoughts on suitable candidates won't have much bearing anyway -and especially if someone doesn't apply :(
Is Jarlath Burns in the running order are teachers now out?

Captain Scarlet

Quote from: Syferus on December 20, 2017, 05:45:20 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on December 20, 2017, 05:23:38 PM

Yes, stopping a team clapping at supporters is a really salient point for the position of director-general of the GAA.

That may have been just a little additional thing to show where he comes to things from a personal GAA standpoint. He cuts out BS.
But fair play for ignoring the fact that he has played inter-county, managed a team to an All Ireland on top of running a multi-million euro company in Dalkia.
Thanks for zooming in on that btw. Here is a bit on Gilroy in terms of him meeting your standards.

Former Dubs manager Pat Gilroy is one of the country's top businessmen. He is boss of Veolia Energy Ireland plc, a water, waste and energy management firm. Veolia is on an expansion drive with plans to boost its Irish workforce to 800 by 2019.
Gilroy won the All-Ireland senior football final with Dublin in 2011, having previously won it as a player in 1995.
His firm is part of the French-owned Veolia group and was renamed Veolia Energy Ireland plc from Dalkia Ireland plc in 2014.
Veolia still owns a 20pc stake in Luas operator Transdev, but is gradually winding down its transport assets in order to focus on its utilities solutions business.
Gilroy is an engineering graduate from Trinity College. He previously held roles in the ESB and Amdahl Ireland.
Gilroy worked as general manager of Dalkia in Ireland before becoming managing director in 2005. During the period from 2002 to 2008 the energy business grew from €14m turnover to €120m.
A former president of the Ireland-France Chamber of Commerce, he is well-known in Irish business circles as a board member of the SEAI and a member of the Ibec national council.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Seany

The advertisement would suggest that they are looking for someone with a business background.