Paraic Duffy to Stand Down

Started by AZOffaly, October 11, 2017, 01:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 12, 2017, 09:25:08 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 12, 2017, 08:11:27 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on October 12, 2017, 07:23:07 PM
Was there as much hooha about dublin playing heir home games at CP between 1996 and 2010?
All three of them?

I suppose the GAA would have been better off without those 218,000 spectators coming through the gates of Croke Park for those three games, and the resulting money generated.

Far too elitist.

Would have been much better if they had been played in front of a cumulative 27,000 in Parnell Park.

You have lost me with this
Dublin played three home league games at Croke Park between 1996 and 2010. The cumulative attendance at those three games was 218,000.

I don't remember any objections.

tonto1888

Quote from: sid waddell on October 12, 2017, 10:09:05 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on October 12, 2017, 09:25:08 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 12, 2017, 08:11:27 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on October 12, 2017, 07:23:07 PM
Was there as much hooha about dublin playing heir home games at CP between 1996 and 2010?
All three of them?

I suppose the GAA would have been better off without those 218,000 spectators coming through the gates of Croke Park for those three games, and the resulting money generated.

Far too elitist.

Would have been much better if they had been played in front of a cumulative 27,000 in Parnell Park.

You have lost me with this
Dublin played three home league games at Croke Park between 1996 and 2010. The cumulative attendance at those three games was 218,000.

I don't remember any objections.

I was referring to championship games also

Stall the Bailer

The basic aim of our association is the promotion of our games. I believe P Duffy should be judged on how well he did this.
I would agree with AZoffaly in that his intentions are right but focused on the wrong part of the GAA.
All changes, motions should be judged on the basic aim. More money and more fans going to games do promote our games. But the best promotion is participating in our games.  I believe more intercounty games make it more difficult for participation at other levels.

Buckass

As long as Jarlath Burns doesn't get in the door. He's been lining up a run for a long time

Boycey

Quote from: Buckass on October 13, 2017, 07:54:14 PM
As long as Jarlath Burns doesn't get in the door. He's been lining up a run for a long time

Is Jarlath's aim not the presidency rather than Paraic's job.

Jim Bob

"Jarlath  - future president of the GAA "

How long has that been doing the rounds now!!!!!!!🙄🙄🙄🙄

Orchard park

Quote from: Jim Bob on October 13, 2017, 11:25:37 PM

Hopefully for st least 50 years more

rrhf

Pat gilroy the man for this job. was he up for it before??

yellowcard

Quote from: rrhf on October 13, 2017, 11:37:44 PM
Pat gilroy the man for this job. was he up for it before??

I wonder is it any coincidence that Duffy only announced his intention to retire after Gilroy was in the race for the Dublin hurlers job.

rrhf

Interesting. First gilroy and Banty appointed elsewhere as well this week.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on October 14, 2017, 12:14:29 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on October 13, 2017, 11:25:37 PM

A long time and he said he had no interest for a long time too.

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2017/03/10/news/former-armagh-captain-jarlath-burns-to-stand-as-a-candidate-for-president-of-the-gaa-959883/

Things change in life.
But nobody believed him. He wasn't called An Uachtarain at the school for nothing. He has been preparing the ground for many years politicking Unionists and the Shinners.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Dougal Maguire

Correct, but it's not going to stop keyboard warrior begrudgers like Tony getting on his case.
Careful now

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on October 14, 2017, 08:08:53 AM
Correct, but it's not going to stop keyboard warrior begrudgers like Tony getting on his case.
Didn't realise that. Apologies and have removed it.

yellowcard

I see Dick Clerkin asking a question on twitter asking whether your GAA club is in better health financially, organisationally and infrastructure wise. Given his Monaghan audience I think it is an example of confirmation bias from Dick. Monaghan clubs relative to the size of the county have received large levels of funding, in fact they must have the hughest proprtion of clubs with stands in Ireland. McCague, Duffy and McKenna have all had high ranking positions within the GAA and they have undoubtedly benefitted from that.

GAA clubs on the whole have improved drastically over the last generation in terms of infrastructure but the running costs have spiralled upwards also and it's the clubs who are ultimately paying for a select few such as county managers and the army of backroom people that go along with them. Increased levies from county boards and clubs now compulsory forced to fund raise on behalf of the county are new disguised methods of paying the wages of the 5% whilst the 95% do it as a sense of duty.

He also conveniently chooses to ignore the problem of decreased participation levels at adult senior level.