Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guevara

Firstly I am neither a Burren or Kilcoo fan!!

Thought the sending off ruined a good game! Brannigan had to go if he struck out but from what I seen Burren were lucky to finish with 15!
Eoin McArtan was spoke to three times and only booked for what appeared to be striking why? Anthony Cunningham got involved in more than most and comitted constant niggly fouls that were allowed to go unpunished.
James McGovern was the same hit younger Brannigan clear as day in front of linesman and nothing done!

I think Burren were the cuter team, Kilcoo lumped high ball into Lavery who wasnt getting a sniff so what do they do? they continue to thump high ball into him.

Aidan Brannigan was very foolish he was getting annoyed because McCartan had got away with two slaps on him and decided to exact revenge! had to go!
I honestly dunno how Gorm agus Bui reckon C McGovern & Declan Rooney were best two on field ;D
Rooney looks strong but brought very little to the game & McGovern wasnt noticeable at all!
Best players imo were J McGovern, McKernan, A Devlin and Kilcoo no 6!

Referee shite again!! ruined a good game and if going by letter of law shouldve finished with possibly 12/13 players each on the field!!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

5 Sams

DOWN CHAMPIONSHIP FIXTURES

FRIDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER

7.00 pm       Democrat Media Junior Hurling Championship Final in Pairc Esler
Cluain Daimh (Clonduff)                     v Baile Aileach (Ballela)

8.30 pm      Powerade Down Senior Football Championship in Pairc Esler
Droichead Mhaigh Eo (Mayobridge)          v          Sabhaill (Saval)

SATURDAY 13TH SEPTEMBER

4.00 pm      Around-A-Pound Down Intermediate Football Championship in Newcastle
Cill Cleithe (Kilclief)                               v          Crois Darach (Darragh Cross)

5.30 pm      Around-A-Pound Down Intermediate Football Championship in Newcastle
Glasdromainn (Glasdrumman)                    v          Eanach Cluana (Annaclone)

SUNDAY 14TH SEPTEMBER

1 30pm        Democrat Media Senior Hurling Championship in Kliclief

Baile Mhic Uileagoid(Ballygalget) v An Duin Theas(Down Juniors)

2.00 pm      Down Junior Football Championship in Darragh Cross
Naomh Eoin (St Johns)                        v           Naomh Pol (St Paul's)

4.30 pm      Down Junior Football Championship in Pairc Esler
Achada Dearg (Aghaderg)                     v          Breachtain (Bright)

5 00pm        Democrat Media Senior Hurling Championship in Ballygalget

Baille Crann(Ballycran)                      v Port an Pheire(Portaferry)

6.00 pm      Powerade Down Senior Football Championship in Pairc Esler
Boireann (Burren)                                        v          Loch An Oileain (Loughinisland)

The Aristocrat Years

Whacker

One quick question? When did Abu Dhabi United take the reigns at Burren?

Must be serious money floating about for both Barton and Poucher-  What is Pouchers role?

Poor game, over long before half time.  The turning point for me was about 15 mins into the first half-  It was 1-4 to 1-2 to Burren.  Kilcoo went down the field three times and had easy point chances, didnt take them.  Burren went right up the other end and Eoin McCartan scored his second goal- Clinical!

Thought Full-forward line were potent- Kevin McKernan carried the ball well but they have to worry about their defence.  They got run ragged at times and in fairness only the country and its ma knew Kilcoo only had one forward who was going to cause trouble and who they looked for every time and they snuffed him out.  A more pacey, dangerous group of forwards will take these boys to the cleaners!  Have to agree and thought Referee give Burren some very handy frees and let them away with an awful lot too but they were far too superior on the night. 

In all fairness to Barton Poucher et al, they have them well drilled, they know their strengths and get the ball to the right men.  Was impressed with Barton I must say, Dont know what the general consensous is but only seem him a couple of times now and have being impressed.

Not all plain sailing for a Burren 'Bridge final.  Island and Saval will certainly have something to say about that!

islandboy

we will have to play well against burren but i feel we really do have a great chance. we have a superior midfield to probably any team in the county and if we can stop the supply going in then our forwards will have to be on song. really looking forward to it.

Bitta-Banter

Few questions on fixtures there.Surprised Loughinisland have to travel to newry(by-passing Burren) to play Burren.Do all Burren games have to be in Newry?Intermediate games both in Newcastle,have to say i hate Newcastle,such a lifeless venue,would have preferred Castlewellan.DC v Kilclief should have been in Downpatrick as its about 10 mins from both clubs,perhaps could have been part of a double header with St Johns V St Pauls.Predictions:

Darragh Cross & Annaclone to prosper along with the Bridge and Burren.I think Saval will really test Mayobridge as long as they dont freeze

off the laces

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 05, 2008, 12:33:15 AM
DOWN CHAMPIONSHIP FIXTURES

FRIDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER

7.00 pm       Democrat Media Junior Hurling Championship Final in Pairc Esler
Cluain Daimh (Clonduff)                     v Baile Aileach (Ballela)

8.30 pm      Powerade Down Senior Football Championship in Pairc Esler
Droichead Mhaigh Eo (Mayobridge)          v          Sabhaill (Saval)

SATURDAY 13TH SEPTEMBER

4.00 pm      Around-A-Pound Down Intermediate Football Championship in Newcastle
Cill Cleithe (Kilclief)                               v          Crois Darach (Darragh Cross)

5.30 pm      Around-A-Pound Down Intermediate Football Championship in Newcastle
Glasdromainn (Glasdrumman)                    v          Eanach Cluana (Annaclone)

SUNDAY 14TH SEPTEMBER

1 30pm        Democrat Media Senior Hurling Championship in Kliclief

Baile Mhic Uileagoid(Ballygalget) v An Duin Theas(Down Juniors)

2.00 pm      Down Junior Football Championship in Darragh Cross
Naomh Eoin (St Johns)                        v           Naomh Pol (St Paul's)

4.30 pm      Down Junior Football Championship in Pairc Esler
Achada Dearg (Aghaderg)                     v          Breachtain (Bright)

5 00pm        Democrat Media Senior Hurling Championship in Ballygalget

Baille Crann(Ballycran)                      v Port an Pheire(Portaferry)

6.00 pm      Powerade Down Senior Football Championship in Pairc Esler
Boireann (Burren)                                        v          Loch An Oileain (Loughinisland)

I take it there will be no league fixtures next weekend then??
Keeps 'er' straight

amallon

Are there a round of league fixtures tonight?

I don't think Burren would have won it as handy with 15 on 15, the sending off killed Kilcoo. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

stpauls

OTL: as far as i know, there were never any league fistures set for this month, bar tonights fixtures!!

wherefromreferee?

Does Ciaran 'Birdie' Burren still kick ball??
In your Endo!

kinghen

think its a bit harsh suggesting a number of burren players could've been sent off against kilcoo, if this is the case then at least 2 more kilcoo men shouldve got the line, not least the younger braqnnigan who clearly stamped dan mccarton whilst he was on the ground, i think the ref done a pretty good job(much more under control than the previous week) true he maybe couldve splashed out a few more cards (if he was goin by the letter of the law) but surely it would ruin the game as a spectacle if it ended up 13 vs 12 men.

i think the kilcoo mentality of hard hitting (niggly tackles/off the ball stuff) is parrt of their own downfall when it comes to ch'ship football, they play decent league football all year then get themselves worked up and indisciplined come ch'ship.

supersub

Quote from: amallon on September 05, 2008, 10:07:15 AM
Are there a round of league fixtures tonight?

I don't think Burren would have won it as handy with 15 on 15, the sending off killed Kilcoo. 

yeh there are fixtures tonight supposed to throw in at 6.30! except for Kilcoo v Saval Rostrevor v burren
c' wellan v stone which are fixed for monday

and i agree 15 v 15 would have been a closer battle, as it was kilcoo didnt have enuff firepower up front

Super Dupe

At the game last night and enjoyed some good football from both teams but mainly Burren obviously.  Kilcoo lost the heads totally after the sending off (and Brannigan definitely deserved to go - didnt see what McCartan done to him but saw Brannigan clearly punching him).  From then on Kilcoo were tackling verging on seriously dangerous stuff.  The younger Brannigan stamped on Daniel McCartan and the number 10 i think done a flying kick reminiscent of Greg McCartan against Armagh a number of years back.

Burren were no angels but i thought they were basically hitting hard, not always fair, but not dangerous stuff.  They did consistently stand in front of the free taker and lay down in the second half but they played some good stuff.  I didnt think they had that sort of fire power up front apart from maybe James MCGovern, but Eoin McCartan showed some good form.  He must have scored 2-3 or something like that.

They will find it difficult against Loughinisland.  They will not win a lot around midfield and have to come with a plan on how to stop Gordon.  If they do this they are on a winner.  Loughinisland need to have the O'Reillys flying.  These two guys really are their best hope in terms of getting scores.  I think this will be a good game.  PLenty of hard hitting and every score earned through sheer determination.

Mourne Rover

Super Dupe, surely the infamous flying kick against Oisin McConville at Casement was the work of Sean Ward rather than Gregory McCartan ? Ward was probably on the bench for Burren last night, so you could have asked him yourself.

centre 3/4s

Hands up we were well beat last night would like to see Burren go on and win it, hope they tank l'island in semi!!

lfdown2

as a 'neutral' it was a great game last night! was worried this year might be their year!! ;D