Fermanagh v Armagh Brewster Pk Sat 19th May 7:00pm

Started by illdecide, May 10, 2018, 09:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

16 wides for Armagh

No Armagh score from play from 16th minute

4 years of McGeeney in charge and 4 years not winning a first round championship game

Another year of some of the best players in the county not wanting to play under the current regime

Fermanagh with 21 clubs, Armagh with 47 clubs

omaghjoe

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 19, 2018, 08:55:32 PM
Quote from: ONeill on May 19, 2018, 08:53:54 PM
McGeeney looked a bit beaten at the end.

Zero wins in 4 Ulster championship campaigns so far. Not the greatest stat to have.

I think he is doing a great job to be honest, long may it continue

twohands!!!

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 19, 2018, 09:07:49 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 19, 2018, 08:55:32 PM
Quote from: ONeill on May 19, 2018, 08:53:54 PM
McGeeney looked a bit beaten at the end.

Zero wins in 4 Ulster championship campaigns so far. Not the greatest stat to have.

I think he is doing a great job to be honest, long may it continue

I think he should be given another 5 year contract. (if he leaves I'd be afraid he'd be all over the media as a pundit)

lenny

Quote from: Solo_run on May 19, 2018, 08:50:15 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on May 19, 2018, 08:44:29 PM
Absolutely pathetic from Armagh, Fermanagh worthy winners.

Too many pathetic performances.  There is no experience in that team apart from Vernon who is not consistent.  Then you have Donaghy who was quiet enough and Grimley being an absolute idiot.  Shields was also a bit and cold player.

What's happened to the likes of Morgan, Campbell, Findon, Dyas etc? This was a vomit inducing display by Armagh but Fermanagh are the better team although I thought they dived  quite a lot but can't complain they took their chances and Armagh couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Shields must've committed ten fouls at least. I saw the ref ticking him after his 8th foul.

Rufus T Firefly

Watching Armagh regularly since our great first round victory over Cavan in May 1977. Some great days since, but of course some abject performances as well. The capitulation at home to Derry in 1995 and the car crash against Wexford in Croke Park in 2008 are two that come to mind. That is right up there with them.

An absolutely poverty stricken performance of brainless tactics, terrible shooting, terrible passing, taking the wrong options, running into cul de sacs, indiscipline in the tackle etc etc. Absolutely awful. Our age old failing of struggling against a defensive system was there for all to see.

Our kickouts were brilliant in Croke Park in the League Final - I think Fermanagh learned a lot from that day and that, together with a much tighter pitch, meant we were always under pressure from our own kickout and did not get much around the middle. 

Agree with what a lot of others said - Fermanagh much the better team - well drilled, disciplined and have a game plan that makes the most of their resources.  The influence of Ricey is also very evident in some of Fermanagh's 'play' and I can see why Rory gets into so many scrapes on the sideline.

Let's face it - Armagh simply do not have the players to make much of a dent in the Championship, but I would expect more from what was there, particularly when there are trips abroad where some meaningful preparation can take place. It also brings into sharp focus the absence of so many players who would be starting.

A depressing evening.

Edited to add - there is actually good news - we do not have to meet the winners of Monaghan and Tyrone.

FermGael

That was a lot easier than expected .
Very mature performance from Fermanagh against a very disappointing Armagh team.
Armaghs discipline is shocking..
Once Fermanagh got in front after half time Armagh just ran out of ideas.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 19, 2018, 09:17:41 PM
Watching Armagh regularly since our great first round victory over Cavan in May 1977. Some great days since, but of course some abject performances as well. The capitulation at home to Derry in 1995 and the car crash against Wexford in Croke Park in 2008 are two that come to mind. That is right up there with them.

An absolutely poverty stricken performance of brainless tactics, terrible shooting, terrible passing, taking the wrong optins, running into cul de sacs, indiscipline in the tackle etc etc. Absolutely awful. Our age old failing of struggling against a defensive system was there for all to see.

Our kickouts were brilliant in Croke Park in the League Final - I think Fermanagh learned a lot from that day and that, together with a much tighter pitch, meant we were always under pressure from our own kickout and did not get much around the middle. 

Agree with what a lot of others said - Fermanagh much the better team - well drilled, disciplined and have a game plan that makes the most of their resources.  The influence of Ricey is also very evident in some of Fermanagh's 'play' and I can see why Rory gets into so many scrapes on the sideline.

Let's face it - Armagh simply do not have the payers to make much of a dent in the Championship, but I would expect more from what was there, particularly when there are trips abroad where some meaningful preparation can take place. It also brings into sharp focus the absence of so many players who would be starting.

A depressing evening.

+1

redzone

Poor from Fermanagh feigning head injurys to run down the clock, glad Marty Clarke called them out on it. Obviously orchestrated

Throw ball

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 19, 2018, 09:19:13 PM

An absolutely poverty stricken performance of brainless tactics, terrible shooting, terrible passing, taking the wrong optins, running into cul de sacs, indiscipline in the tackle etc etc. Absolutely awful. Our age old failing of struggling against a defensive system was there for all to see.

Let's face it - Armagh simply do not have the payers to make much of a dent in the Championship, but I would expect more from what was there, particularly when there are trips abroad where some meaningful preparation can take place. It also brings into sharp focus the absence of so many players who would be starting.

A depressing evening.

+1

A depressing evening.

No harm Rufus but I have to disagree. Armagh were terrible but the crap that Fermanagh get up to is what is driving people away from football. They are not the only ones. How many bothered going to match today ! The sad thing is that Armagh do not need to improve their discipline to win matches. They need to learn a crap game plan and take a degree in the dark arts. Aidan Forker has went from a nark to a saint. He deserves credit for not losing the head considering the amount of off the ball abuse he got. Abuse that went through a myriad of players and management. Fermanagh people may say it is sour grapes but I live Gaelic football and the game is being destroyed. Just look at Mayo v Galway last week.

inthrough

Anyone who was expecting a great game has to remember that Armagh are poor & Fermanagh are managed by Rory Gallagher who, in my opinion, represents everything that is bad in modern day football.

Not all is doom & gloom though, Donegal V Cavan last Sunday was a great 70 mins of open football with some great long range scoring, no diving or histrionics on the sideline.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Throw ball on May 19, 2018, 09:29:32 PM
No harm Rufus but I have to disagree. Armagh were terrible but the crap that Fermanagh get up to is what is driving people away from football. They are not the only ones. How many bothered going to match today ! The sad thing is that Armagh do not need to improve their discipline to win matches. They need to learn a crap game plan and take a degree in the dark arts. Aidan Forker has went from a nark to a saint. He deserves credit for not losing the head considering the amount of off the ball abuse he got. Abuse that went through a myriad of players and management. Fermanagh people may say it is sour grapes but I live Gaelic football and the game is being destroyed. Just look at Mayo v Galway last week.

No harm taken at all - you are a regular poster whose views here and on our own site I would respect.

However I will disagree with you on this one. I wasn't at the game, but the TV images/ sounds clearly enabled the viewer to see and indeed hear what was going on. That cannot explain our wrong options, misplaced passes, awful shooting, carrying the ball into contact, terrible indiscipline in the tackle - as was the case in the League Final - to name but a few. 

Patrick-Armagh

Congratulations to Fermanagh, they were the better side and thoroughly deserved their victory. They were the team that really learned the most from the two league encounters and in Rory Gallagher they have a manager who can get them going and get the most out of them. Well done.

As for Armagh, where do even begin with this car crash? It was like watching the Down performance from last year all over again. We came into this game off a good league campaign and despite having some injuries, all seemed set up for a strong performance and a really good chance of winning. But yet again, we just did not show up in the Ulster Championship and couldn't unlock a packed defence. We hit wide after wide, committed more fouls than I could count and turned the ball over constantly. When we watch Tyrone or Monaghan play them in a few weeks I'm certain we'll see them tear them apart (like they would have done to us if we'd won). They have the tactical nous and players to be able combat it. We don't. We had a great run through the Qualifiers last season, which made up for the dire performance against Down. But it certainly hasn't repaired it.

Last season we had our strongest panel in years available to us, which allowed us to get a good run in the Championship. This year we didn't, but league form suggested that we had unearthed some players who mightn't replace those not there, but would certainly bring some quality to the team. Tonight showed the vast difference between League and Championship. In the league, when teams are experimenting with players and systems and results don't ultimately matter to some teams, we looked great. Like last year against Down and years before, when we come up against defensive teams in the heat of Championship, we just don't have it. Would having Stefan Campbell, Oisin O'Neill, James Morgan and Jamie Clarke available in this game made a difference tonight? Probably, but not necessarily enough to help us win. I'm not mentioning those players to make excuses, but more to highlight the fact that we knew these players who could make a difference wouldn't be available and still couldn't work out a way from preseason to now and in training camps in Portugal to counteract and unlock what we knew would be a defensive Fermanagh set up. Absolutely shocking.

Throw ball

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 19, 2018, 09:43:01 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on May 19, 2018, 09:29:32 PM

No harm taken at all - you are a regular poster whose views here and on our own site I would respect.

However I will disagree with you on this one. I wasn't at the game, but the TV images/ sounds clearly enabled the viewer to see and indeed hear what was going on. That cannot explain our wrong options, misplaced passes, awful shooting, carrying the ball into contact, terrible indiscipline in the tackle - as was the case in the League Final - to name but a few.

I cannot really disagree with your analysis of Armagh. I just don't think Fermanagh were a better football team. They were just better at destroying the game and winning at any cost. It is these tactics now endemic in the game that are driving people away. I would even guess it was one reason you didn't go!

tonto1888

Fermanagh were worthy winners. They were better from 1-15 and on the sideline. I'd be disappointed with the antics of some of your players good my down as if they had been shot fairly regularly.
What did Grimley do? I missed it myself

Patrick-Armagh

Stuck his forearm into a Fermanagh man's face. Had to walk.