Hurling championship 2018

Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Oh, and Limerick were more reassured in defence once Mike Casey replaced Seamus Hickey, so there's strength in depth there.

AZOffaly

An auld sidestep every now and then wouldn't go amiss.

re Hickey, yes, he's actually a liability for Limerick now, especially at full back.

Milltown Row2

Break tackle but lay it off to the free man either beside you or low ball into a corner, problem being that the Tipp forwards are probably making the runs but by the time the ball comes in the defender is on top of him!

The options for the defenders were limited, some of that is due to Limerick, they seemed to have an extra man at times, hunting in pairs and sometimes there were 3 putting in the tackle..

Have Tipp anyone else to bring on? I'll not be backing them this Sunday (probably win now!)

How Hickey as you said AZ stayed on for as long as he did was a mystery, still a very good hurler, probably best on the halfback line

The Cork and Clare game seemed to be played at a higher tempo IMO, so it'll be a interesting game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2018, 01:39:16 PM
Break tackle but lay it off to the free man either beside you or low ball into a corner, problem being that the Tipp forwards are probably making the runs but by the time the ball comes in the defender is on top of him!

The options for the defenders were limited, some of that is due to Limerick, they seemed to have an extra man at times, hunting in pairs and sometimes there were 3 putting in the tackle..

Have Tipp anyone else to bring on? I'll not be backing them this Sunday (probably win now!)

How Hickey as you said AZ stayed on for as long as he did was a mystery, still a very good hurler, probably best on the halfback line

The Cork and Clare game seemed to be played at a higher tempo IMO, so it'll be a interesting game

Tipp have a relatively deep panel on paper, but it's not worth a shite if lads aren't playing. I'm not sure if Cathal Barrett is available, but if he is, I'd probably go something like

Hogan

Flynn      Kennedy      Barrett

Heffernan B. Maher    P. Maher

R. Maher    Billy McCarthy

Dan McCormack Bonnar Maher  Noel McGrath

John McGrath    Jason Forde    Seamie Callanan

You'd have Michael Breen as an option for Midfield/Half forward, Bubbles O'Dwyer for the full forward line, Sean Curran for half forward, Niall O'Meara for full forward line, James Barry for the backs.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2018, 01:55:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 22, 2018, 01:39:16 PM

Tipp have a relatively deep panel on paper, but it's not worth a shite if lads aren't playing. I'm not sure if Cathal Barrett is available, but if he is, I'd probably go something like

Hogan

Flynn      Kennedy      Barrett

Heffernan B. Maher    P. Maher

R. Maher    Billy McCarthy

Dan McCormack Bonnar Maher  Noel McGrath

John McGrath    Jason Forde    Seamie Callanan

You'd have Michael Breen as an option for Midfield/Half forward, Bubbles O'Dwyer for the full forward line, Sean Curran for half forward, Niall O'Meara for full forward line, James Barry for the backs.
Callanan hardly has a full game in him yet though? Didn't do a whole lot when he came in on Sunday though the momentum was with Limerick by that stage.

AZOffaly

He may not, but Bubbles did SFA. You could have a Niall O'Meara in there as a lively ball winner instead. Not sure if Niall is back fit or not yet. He's had a horrible year with injuries.

longballin

Can someone explain simply to workings of the championship format? If a provincial winner goes straight in to All Ireland semi final, where does runner-up go and who do they play? Why could they not have left it as it was the money grabbing hures have torn the ass out of the whole thing.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: longballin on May 23, 2018, 10:16:18 AM
Can someone explain simply to workings of the championship format? If a provincial winner goes straight in to All Ireland semi final, where does runner-up go and who do they play? Why could they not have left it as it was the money grabbing hures have torn the ass out of the whole thing.

You have answered your own question... money grabbing 'hures'

And club hurling loses out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

longballin

It has turned the whole thing into a damp squib

Milltown Row2

Quote from: longballin on May 23, 2018, 10:39:36 AM

I think the early games have been cagey, bursts of intensity but its not an all out knockout style of hurling, even though, before this format you had the backdoor, the Munster games were played at a higher level than what we have seen at the weekend, that will change come the buisness end, I hope

longballin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 23, 2018, 11:33:21 AM

I think the early games have been cagey, bursts of intensity but its not an all out knockout style of hurling, even though, before this format you had the backdoor, the Munster games were played at a higher level than what we have seen at the weekend, that will change come the buisness end, I hope

Is a pity to see the Munster semi-finals go but that's it

johnnycool

Quote from: longballin on May 23, 2018, 12:19:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 23, 2018, 11:33:21 AM

Is a pity to see the Munster semi-finals go but that's it

Not sure the Clare/Cork game was cagey at all, I thought they both give it their all but being the first round were a bit rusty. If Clare had of bagged one of those goal chances they mangled in the first half then the game would have been elevated a bit.

All is not lost yet as it'll become die dog or shíte the license if the likes of Tipp or Clare are two games to the bad already. If both win at the weekend then it becomes cagey again.

The third, fourth and fifth round games will be all or nothing for someone, but if someone is already through, do they give the panel a run out!!!!!!!

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 23, 2018, 10:18:57 AM

The felt they had to respond to the football extravaganza that is the Super 8.

There will be 8 teams left after the leagues run off- 2 Joe MCDonagh, 3 Leinster and 3 Munster
The provincial champions go to the semi final
#2 in each province go to the quarter final
#3 in each province play one of the Joe McDonagh teams for a place in the qf.
I think it is a decent system
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Minder

Alan Cadogan probably out for the rest of the season
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longballin

Quote from: seafoid on May 24, 2018, 10:06:42 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 23, 2018, 10:18:57 AM

The felt they had to respond to the football extravaganza that is the Super 8.

There will be 8 teams left after the leagues run off- 2 Joe MCDonagh, 3 Leinster and 3 Munster
The provincial champions go to the semi final
#2 in each province go to the quarter final
#3 in each province play one of the Joe McDonagh teams for a place in the qf.
I think it is a decent system

drawn out for as long as possible with no edge until teams are at risk of elimination